Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your most + least favourite 40k charecter

Options
  • 21-05-2003 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭

Post up your favourite charecter for both 2nd and 3rd ed, see how the response's differ, just a little curious :)

2nd ed : loved - Kharn, I loved this guy to bits, when he got in close he tore anything to shreds (including his own troops) in a berserk rage....... oh fun fun :D

hated - Marneus Calgar, Jaysus what a whimp, the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines and hes a complete pansy.

3rd ed : loved - Abaddon, 1 hit kills with his sword, ultimeate charecter hunter, and with that lightening claw, a high weapon skill and 3 attacks, it hurts.

hated - Eldrad Ulthran, hes meant to have awsome psychic capabilities able to decimate anything............. but in this edition, he cant do much more than a standard Farseer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hmm - 2nd Ed. favourites

Space Wolves:
    Ragnar Blackmane - was a bloody nightmare in close-combat with his berserk fury, 4+ dodge and his ability once per battle to do the wolf-howl and make every space wolf troop (Long Fangs could choose) TRIPLE their charge rate that turn

Bjorn the Fell-Handed - tough as nails with his reroll plus his ligthening claw made an awful mess up close.

Eldar:
    Karandras the Shadow Hunter - striking scorpion phoenix lord. Tooled up to the nines and thouroughly unpleasant up close.

Legion of the Damned:
    Vet. Sergeant Centurious - not necessarily very hard, but his wargear proved VERY interesting to use. And I absolutely love the model :D

2nd ed. Annoyances:
    Arhiman - I only ever played one game against him, and he just completely dominated the entire game. Just wasn't any fun in the game 'cause you'd do something, he'd just zap your squad or something.

I might also add that Kharn was also in that particular game against me.

(yes - I was playing a VERY beardy player)

3rd ed. Favourites:
    Ragnar BlackMane - still hard, although he's lost his wolfhowl :(

Ulrik the Slayer - deary me is he a hard b*stard :D

3rd ed. Annoyances:
    Eldrad Ulthuan - I'll go with Pugsley here. Seriously diluted :(

ANY of the Phoenix Lords - they've just lost something in the translation frmo 2nd to 3rd ed.

ALso there's no Njal StormCaller or Bjorn in this ed. either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

2nd ed. faves:

Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka, Ork Goff warlord.

A right little bugger in hand to hand (gotta love that adamantium 'eadbutt!) a good shot with a nasty weapon, and he could actually become invincible for one and a half turns wit da powa ov da Waaagh! Nasty, nasty character. And he was mine.:D

Abbadon was a nightmare, and looks really cool to boot. Eldrad was really, really dangerous, especially as a psyker.

I have to say that Marneus' Gauntlets of Ultramar used to make him really, really nasty in close combat with a horde of opponents, as they never got an advantage over him. Now though he just has a stormbolter and powerfist. Tch.

3rd ed faves:

Asdrubael Vect looks really cool, and is quite the opponent.
    Logan Grimnar looks like a nasty one. Haven't played against him, but saw the stats.

I really like the Emporor's Champion for some reason. It's not particularly powerful (then again, none of the characters are in 3rd ed...)But looks the business and can be used cleverly to utterly slaughter an army.

The Red Terror though, has to be my favourite. It looks really nasty, and has some devestating abilities, particularly it's movement rate and the swallowing models whole rule.

Ghazghkull is no better than a normal warboss with some fancy equipment now, and I think Ork warbosses in general are pretty lousy characters. That's a crying shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Sigard

any edition: Kharn is the man, he only likes to do one thing, but mother of god, he does it well.

Cypher: the latest rules and history make him THE badass in 40k, nobody else even comes close.

DISLIKE

Azrael: in 2nd edition, he was pretty good, but with the super dumbed-down rules in 3rd edition, he is pretty worthless (and I am a Dark Angel player)

Doomrider: what were they thinking! I mean, he was just so bad. didn't make an ounce of sense either, but that's GW for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Favourite : Huron Blackheart (i was sad when they took him out)

Least Favourite : the name is lost to me but the special character Howling Banshee used to own me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Model wise: Jain Zar... Lelith Hersperax...

Doomrider is pure crap yea, stupid name, stupid background, stupid FACE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Favourite:Since ive only ever played third edition ill have to take from that.
    I really like the emperors champion model.I like my own farseer but thats not a special character so....uh.......Kharn.Also the giant tyrnaid snake beast The red terror?im not sure but the stories about it were very "aliens" and I like those films.

Dislike:Logan Grimnar I HATE SPACE WOLVES!,doomrider is a ridiculous model and has a very questionable shake and bake background,I hate eldrad because he empitomises how dissapointing eldar psykers are.Damn you gavin thorpe!

There's some massive equality between characters now. Some characters are woefully pathetic (Eldrad and Ghazghkull for example) while others, such as Abbadon, Kharn, and Nightbringer are ridiculously powerful.

I don't like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

My favourites have to be Ragnar Blackmane and Cypher

My most hated are Marnius Calgar and Fuegan the Phoenix lord(not cause hes not cool but because i've a bad history with him!!)

An acquaintance of mine has had Commander Dante die in every battle he has ever played.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Have to say that I like the Blood Angels charecters, the ones I don't like would be the Emperors champion, takes way to much wargear including your Iron Halo (one per army) and that challenge rule can screw up a fight if he takes on a Chaos Deamon Prince with no retune.
    An acquaintance of mine has had Commander Dante die in every battle he has ever played.
    Thats what they want you to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i've only played 3rd edition rules, favourite character is proably the red terror, great for taking out special characters without any saves being allowed, or drazar

i hated lelith hesperax, ive seen gaurdian squads or termegants give her and a retinue a good fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I hated Commissar Yarrik from second ed (and I played Imperial Guard!) and (they don't really count as characters, but...) All of the greater daemons.. I knew a chaos player who never went into ANY 2nd ed game without two =\

Two greater daemons? Surely that's stretching the rules, if not breaking them completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Think it was against the rules, but he'd kick up a fuss if he didn't get them.. He just played to have bigger armies than anyone eles with no tactics what so ever, so he got his arse kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Very stereotypical of Chaos gamers there, I have never used a single Greater Deamon in a battle. In 3rd ed their terrible, they have to possessa charecter to enter the fight..... a random charecter, its even possable to have your main leader possessed, which is commonly worth more than a Greater Deamon.

In 2nd ed the Greater Deamons were good, but horabbly expensive and a total bullet magnet.

Remember nosmo, not all chaos players are wee 5 year olds with a rich daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

IIRC in 2nd ed, your entire character selection was not to be any more than 25% of your armylist total.

Chaos armies in 3rd ed are still perfectly capable of winning without successfully summoning a daemon. Either that or I'm really, really bad at 40K...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Old Fantasy - Hienrich Kemmler (spelling?) the Necromancer, fecking cool

New Fantasy - Archaon: what a sweet model and such a beast in battle!

2nd Edition: Hate Marneus Calgar, jammy and **** and boring at the same time.

love any of the Phoenix Lords

3rd Edition: who cares its crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Sigard

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Very stereotypical of Chaos gamers there, I have never used a single Greater Deamon in a battle. In 3rd ed their terrible, they have to possessa charecter to enter the fight..... a random charecter, its even possable to have your main leader possessed, which is commonly worth more than a Greater Deamon.

thank god it has changed now. the new chaos codex rectified this silly rule, and made the bloodthirster and co a bit more powerful.
    myself, I only used my bloodthirster once since I got it, it's more for modelling and painting. However, it did manage to cause massive destruction to both Steve-o's and Orangerooster's armies (with a little help from Kharn :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Heh, i remember playing chaos and LOVING my abaddon figure. not so much for play as he looked sooooo nice and pretty when i finished with him. and yes in second ed (i'm guessing that was the version i played, bout 5 years ago? ) characters were limited to 25% of army selection. One quick question, how different are the rules these days?

• Advertisement

However, it did manage to cause massive destruction to both Steve-o's and Orangerooster's armies (with a little help from Kharn )
    Kharn AND a Bloodthirster?!

Thats just criminal :D

Old One Eye is a beast.

My Heavy support consists of:

Old one eye,
    A suped up carnifex with ordnance blast thingie,
    Either 3 Zoanthropes or 2 biovores, depending.

Tell me... who u gonna aim your lascannons at? (covers up suped up hive tyrant)

My latest favourite models are my Ork Slugga boyz, who took down an Eldar Avatar and his retinue in my last game. Hurrah!

Avatars cant have retinues... can they?

They can have a retinue of a few warlocks if I remember right.

Dunno, the opponent was a beardy fellow and no mistake. He actually had kept a list of important kills his Avatar had made. He was NOT happy to have it killed by a squad of basic foot troops...:D

Anyway, looking at a few pics on the GW website, those Cadian snipers look the business. Snipers rock.

A biel tan army may have had an retinue of exarchs...but taking that down would be QUITE a feat

A full retinue of exarch's? ouch thats one hefty price tag!

Would be a monstrous squad in hand to hand tho with an avatar in the middle of em.

Note to self: Next army - Biel Tan with LOTS N LOTS OF BANSHEES

• Advertisement

Banshee's are very nasty against the likes of SPace Marine or Chaos, because their valuable Power Armour wont save them, their the ultimate Terminator hunters really.

Advertisement