Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ESAT Hardsell experience...

Options
  • 21-05-2003 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

An ESAT salesman called round to my parents house the other day. With my mother getting on in years and having worked in the sales game before, i was curious as to whether he would be pushy with the old dear.

So, with me eavesdropping for ****s and giggles, he gave his pitch - the old dear - being the courteous type that we are in this part of the World said she couldnt make a decision without discussing it with her other half - could he leave a brochure.

Course, he couldnt leave a brochure.
    Naturally, he was in the area....blah ...blah....better to go right thru it now (and having ascertained that my father would be back in ten minutes) he would wait.

Ten minutes later, hes not getting anywhere (having applied the pressure) - and if he had left at that stage without an attitude, that would have been fine - i've worked sales - i know the pressures. I dropped into the room and decided to ask him about broadband (more in hope than anything else cos this is out in the sticks) - and he starts getting narky with me.

What were his first words on the subject...."dont even go there" - said that while broadband wasnt possible in the area, we had the benefit of living in such a tranquil & peaceful environment.....didnt know ESAT were in the peace and tranquility market:eek:

Then he left abruptly.

Now ESAT up till that point had my goodwill - all my goodwill - due to services of the formidible €ircon - but after that call, they can s**g off.

Trying the high pressure sales tactics on old dears - should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, im off to enjoy that peace and tranquility - better get used to it cos hell will freeze over by the time theres affordable broadband round these parts:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i never had this problum
    though my friend was a esat sales rep and a good one to (got me signed up with esat in no time).................but i guess like all companys theirs assholes in it i think you where unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

i had very much the same experience with an Esat sales chappy recently. All fine and dandy with the hard sell to get the home phone service in but when I dropped a few lines about Esat/IOL Broadband in the area he got quite narky. Almost seemed to be taking it personally. Strange thing to say I know. Are they (Esat as a whole) that touchy about the whole area of broadband or have the sales reps just been shooting up on some wacky sauce before they start their campaigns of pressure selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

Cant you make a complaint about this to esat? Get the guy in trouble?

Or shall we just be irish and say "Ah shure it happens" and let this type of thing carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

<Cant you make a complaint about this to esat? Get the guy in trouble?

Or shall we just be irish and say "Ah shure it happens" and let this type of thing carry on/>

Bios: I reacted by posting on here - so that you or anybody else that reads this thread will know exactly whats going on if it happens to you ..and will be all the quicker in dealing with these morons ie. thowing them out pronto which is what i should have done.

I dont want to be part of some ESAT ISO9000 customer service 'procedure'. They're not going to waste any more of my time. Fact of the matter is if he approached things a little differently he could have got what he was looking for that day - €ircon can make any competitor look real good - but thats his loss.

UTV will be getting my business - they're the only ones with a clean image in my view up to now.

The power of the boards is emmence (spelling?) - and i think as more and more people spend more and more time online - and use a resource such as this one, it will give more power back to ordinary people. What am i ranting on about?..........well, the best way for people in this country to get a better deal is by reporting their good & bad experiences with companies - thats the real way to trip up these tossers.

And one thing i have to say is that an MD of an ISP who posts here and communicates with his customers gets instant respect from me. Well done Scott Taunton - my orderforms on the way up to Ormeau Road as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I had the same experience in my grandmothers the other day. They asked him to call back so that i could question him. He seemed to know that my granny received the free line rental as no body here told him. He proceeded with his sell offering reduced rate when u spend over €65 euro or something and you can keep your free line rental and discounts (yeah like he can take away her social entitlements on the phone bill).

I asked for a copy of the call cost comparison brochure he had and he sid he couldnt give me one. I then said id have to have a look at her bills and talk it over with her and would he call back. No he was only here for one day it seemed and he stood silent gazing at me as though i was supposed to jump into a contract right there cos he couldnt bother calling back? I dont think he was acyually offering anything good anyway as he only showed me the international rate to one country and the national rate hiding the others. No mention of local calls or mobiles. He then crossed me off a hand written list. I think Esat are doing the rounds on elderly people with call allowences and trying the hard sell with some very flimsy proof that you actaully save any money. Btw my guy also got narky when i asked him about broadband and told him of my saving with UTV lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement