Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A discussion on the rules.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And here I was thinking you'd run to the defense of my anti-authoritarian idea.

Unworkable ideas are unworkable, whether anti-authoritarian or not.
    And I'd love to see the percentage of decisions that are overturned at arbitration, the whole arbitration process is sidelined anyway. 'Of course you can protest, just do it over in this room here where nobody visits'

As a percentage of those that are complained about, it's probably about 25%.
    I think a democracy is better than an aristocracy. The people will get the moderators they deserve.

Well yes, and you both are saying that too. All posters here are politically partisan, and Scofflaw is saying they are unable to moderate the forum due to biases and pettiness. The wisdom of crowds works fine for Wikipedia

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that where posters are unaccountable they have no reason not to exercise their biases, and your system would involve exactly that lack of accountability. Most posters, if asked to mod, would at the very least make a conscious effort not to act on their prejudices, because they are highly visible while doing so. Acting by your mechanism they would have no such impetus, and so the mechanism is far more likely to be used for the suppression of opposing viewpoints.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Scofflaw wrote: »
    No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that where posters are unaccountable they have no reason not to exercise their biases, and your system would involve exactly that lack of accountability. Most posters, if asked to mod, would at the very least make a conscious effort not to act on their prejudices, because they are highly visible while doing so. Acting by your mechanism they would have no such impetus, and so the mechanism is far more likely to be used for the suppression of opposing viewpoints.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I don't see where you get the lack of accountability in my proposal. All complaints would be made in public, when you report a post your name is attached to in just like thanks. So if you are spuriously reporting posts ticking a box that in no way fits it shows you up not only to the mods but to the posting community as a petty poster who makes baseless complaints. The impetus is not looking like a douche, the revised role of mods would be limited to the current dispute resolution. For it to go totally pear shaped you'd need to be saying we have a majority of douchebags on here, is that your opinion of the forum membership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I don't see where you get the lack of accountability in my proposal. All complaints would be made in public, when you report a post your name is attached to in just like thanks. So if you are spuriously reporting posts ticking a box that in no way fits it shows you up not only to the mods but to the posting community as a petty poster who makes baseless complaints. The impetus is not looking like a douche, the revised role of mods would be limited to the current dispute resolution. For it to go totally pear shaped you'd need to be saying we have a majority of douchebags on here, is that your opinion of the forum membership?

If I thought that, I'd hardly post here, let alone moderate the forum. Luckily, I don't think that - instead, it's a rather poor attempt to back me into a corner where I either support your idea, or think everybody's a douche.

What you've left out, of course, is the possibility that your scheme lacks merit despite the majority of posters being entirely reasonable. A small number of posters with a very strong partisan viewpoint - extremely common in political discussions - are all that's required for the scheme to founder, because the minute anybody starts to abuse the system, it will be abused right back at them.

A case in point is the current set of calls for the abolition of the thanks system, on the basis that it gets used as a clique tool by some groups of posters.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

A small number of posters with a very strong partisan viewpoint - extremely common in political discussions - are all that's required for the scheme to founder, because the minute anybody starts to abuse the system, it will be abused right back at them.

But let's take an example of that. NI or Israel/Palestinian threads are very polarised. If both sides baselessly reported each others posts they'd all get blocked and they'd ruin it for themselves. So I think they'd be unlikely to do that. It's game theory, they'd improve their conduct and interaction for mutual survival. It would be a reporting version of the nuclear standoff, people would probably be more considerate when they report posts. Like it or not, the current nodding system treats the users as children. I don't need a mod to tell me a thread is pointless and close it down, allow myself and other posters decide that for ourselves. If someone starts a crass or content free thread it'll get reported and/or ignored. If republicans and unionists continue soapboxing at each other let posters decide the worth of their arguments. You are worried that if people are left to their own devices then debate will descend into farce, so clearly you don't trust posters to moderate themselves.

• Advertisement

But let's take an example of that. NI or Israel/Palestinian threads are very polarised. If both sides baselessly reported each others posts they'd all get blocked and they'd ruin it for themselves. It would be a reporting version of the nuclear standoff, people would probably be more considerate when they report posts. Like it or not, the current nodding system treats the users as children. I don't need a mod to tell me a thread is pointless and close it down, allow myself and other posters decide that for ourselves. If someone starts a crass or content free thread it'll get reported and/or ignored. If republicans and unionists continue soapboxing at each other let posters decide the worth of their arguments. You are worried that if people are left to their own devices then debate will descend into farce, so clearly you don't trust posters to moderate themselves.

Again, you're attempting to paint me as saying something I haven't, so this is my final comment here. What I've pointed out, repeatedly, is that your system is hostage to any sufficiently motivated minority, as any self-policing system is. There are other flaws in it, but something tells me you're not interested.

cordially, but finally,
    Scofflaw

Ok we'll end it there. It was merely a suggestion, I still do not think the nodding system is the best way. And you managed to self-police this situation quite well by simply disengaging. Am I going to be vindictive and disengage with debating you in future? Contrary to what you may think, no. Because I am here to debate and tit for tat would be self defeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have a question.

What is a handbag warning?

later10 wrote: »
    I have a question.

What is a handbag warning?

It's a way of saying that a thread is descending into personal wrangling, without necessarily ascribing blame to anyone in particular or penalising anyone. You might call it the Nyberg option...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Could moderators, when they put a warning in the thread, change the thread title to draw attention to it like is done elsewhere? I.e "Read Mod warning post 98" or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Could moderators, when they put a warning in the thread, change the thread title to draw attention to it like is done elsewhere? I.e "Read Mod warning post 98" or something like that?
    Fair point - I've not done that with a recent thread and it's possibly been missed by a few contributors. Editing the warning into the first post as well is something I should have done. Every warning doesn't require highlighting in that way but the more generally aimed ones in hotly contested threads could do with it.

Having said that, most generally aimed warnings are to stay on topic, to avoid insulting other forum members or personalising the discussion against other members, to make contributions useful and generally to make an actual effort in posting (in other words, not to be treating the forum like an idiotic soap box). All of which are obvious, common sense and in the forum charter so people should be doing that anyway at all times:)

In light of this aspect of the charter
    NEVER attack a poster. Attack the content of their post. (You can tell someone that their opinion is based on incomplete or incorrect information, but do not call them an idiot.)

What are the moderators opinions on aspects of the (admittedly long and unattractive) thread on the David Norris media attention whereby insinuations have been made, repeatedly, that posters were or may be homophobic and-or have hardline nationalist views?

later10 wrote: »
    In light of this aspect of the charter

What are the moderators opinions on aspects of the (admittedly long and unattractive) thread on the David Norris media attention whereby insinuations have been made, repeatedly, that posters were or may be homophobic and-or have hardline nationalist views?

The usual, I suppose - if they're attempts to stifle debate, as per the tactical use of "anti-Semitic" in Israel debates, then they're something to be quashed. If, on the other hand, they're a genuine response to what is, after all, a pretty widespread prejudice in Ireland (far more widespread than real anti-Semitism), then they're fair enough.

The question is, I suppose, whether Norris is being discussed primarily in terms of his politics, or in terms of his sexuality and attitudes to sexuality - and I think it's pretty obvious that it's the latter. His fitness for the job appears to be, in many people's minds, related almost entirely to his sexuality and his attitudes to sexuality - and in those circumstances, it's impossible to avoid the conclusion that homophobia of varying degrees underlies many of the 'concerns', since the sexuality and attitudes to sexuality of other Presidential hopefuls isn't even on the radar.

If you feel that epithets are being applied in an attempt to stifle debate, let us know in the usual way.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think I might have made a post or two on something along the above lines. My view was that certain Christian and republican hard line elements would have problems with Norris regardless of issues and I think it is reasonable to say so.

That is definitely not saying Christian and Republican posters against Norris are all like like that, certainly not. Indeed, a good few Christian and republican posters are actually quite pro Norris.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Is it now acceptable on the day a politician dies to rejoice in his passing?

Is it now acceptable on the day a politician dies to rejoice in his passing?

No - see note on thread, and modified thread title.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DrLHecters

And here I was thinking you'd run to the defense of my anti-authoritarian idea.

And I'd love to see the percentage of decisions that are overturned at arbitration, the whole arbitration process is sidelined anyway. 'Of course you can protest, just do it over in this room here where nobody visits'

I think a democracy is better than an aristocracy. The people will get the moderators they deserve.

Well yes, and you both are saying that too. All posters here are politically partisan, and Scofflaw is saying they are unable to moderate the forum due to biases and pettiness. The wisdom of crowds works fine for Wikipedia

There is no arbitration necessary for when a mod bans someone.
    All that person need do is disconnect/turn off their modem for 10 mins and then re-register on boards.
    a simple yahoo email address and 10 mins is all thats needed for bypassing the impotent mods.

No - see note on thread, and modified thread title.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

So why has there been no action on this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72682990&postcount=19?

Because, on balance, while I consider that remark distasteful, as do many others, I don't consider it as rejoicing in Lenihan's death, unlike remarks such as "one less for the gallows" (although to be fair the poster in question regrets that remark) or idiots burbling about traitors.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

DrLHecters wrote: »
    There is no arbitration necessary for when a mod bans someone.
    All that person need do is disconnect/turn off their modem for 10 mins and then re-register on boards.
    a simple yahoo email address and 10 mins is all thats needed for bypassing the impotent mods.

Thing is, though, that it takes even less time than that to ban someone - and if your idea is to re-register in order to continue acting the same way as got you banned previously, you'll be banned again in short order. It doesn't really bother any of the mods whether an idiot is a new idiot or a re-registered idiot.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Because, on balance, while I consider that remark distasteful, as do many others, I don't consider it as rejoicing in Lenihan's death, unlike remarks such as "one less for the gallows" (although to be fair the poster in question regrets that remark) or idiots burbling about traitors.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

FFS! To say "I for one am not sorry to see the back of him." on the day of a man's death is more that "merely distasteful"; it is grossly offensive, and departs from a custom that mods generally enforce that threads of this nature be treated as condolence threads.

The mod advisory to "behave" looks pusillanimous and the tenor of discussion in the thread reveals an approach to moderation that I consider altogether too uninvolved. AH, which is usually more of a bearpit than Politics, is performing much better.

FFS! To say "I for one am not sorry to see the back of him." on the day of a man's death is more that "merely distasteful"; it is grossly offensive, and departs from a custom that mods generally enforce that threads of this nature be treated as condolence threads.

The mod advisory to "behave" looks pusillanimous and the tenor of discussion in the thread reveals an approach to moderation that I consider altogether too uninvolved. AH, which is usually more of a bearpit than Politics, is performing much better.

Were I moderating a non-political forum, I would have no hesitation in making the thread a purely condolences one, without any allowance for political commentary, and with instant sanction for distasteful comments. But this is not a non-political forum, and we are still in the midst of Brian Lenihan's policies, the current effects of which on the country and on people's own lives are so large as to give them justification for a degree of critical comment not usually acceptable in such matters.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If human decency is not part of the culture of the forum, then I do not feel I have any place in it.

If human decency is not part of the culture of the forum, then I do not feel I have any place in it.

Presumably that should really read "enforcement of human decency", since there's nothing I can do about the moral nature of posters themselves.

My view here is that I'm trying to balance the traditional respect for the recently deceased against the fact that the deceased had a huge influence on our current circumstances. Cookie_Monster's post neither celebrates Lenihan's death, nor calls him names, nor alleges that he was anything that he cannot now defend himself against. It expresses a view about the poster's feelings, and, I think, does no harm to Lenihan's memory, but rather to the reputation of the poster.

I would prefer to have had two separate threads - one for condolences, one for any other comments - but unfortunately, the thread was merged in by Darragh from elsewhere.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Presumably that should really read "enforcement of human decency", since there's nothing I can do about the moral nature of posters themselves.

That is specious: the culture of the forum is something about which the mods can do something.
    My view here is that I'm trying to balance the traditional respect for the recently deceased against the fact that the deceased had a huge influence on our current circumstances. Cookie_Monster's post neither celebrates Lenihan's death, nor calls him names, nor alleges that he was anything that he cannot now defend himself against. It expresses a view about the poster's feelings, and, I think, does no harm to Lenihan's memory, but rather to the reputation of the poster.

Saying "I for one am not sorry to see the back of him" is celebrating Lenihan's demise, and it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.
    I would prefer to have had two separate threads - one for condolences, one for any other comments - but unfortunately, the thread was merged in by Darragh from elsewhere.

Not your responsibility, then?

You know that I have been generally onside with the moderators here, but in this case I think you have got things wrong, badly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I'm going to be honest here (and perhaps a little untactful), but I agree strongly with P. Breathnach. I don't think it's tenable to distance moderator duty from the culture of the forum. It seems that about half of what we do as moderators here is enforce discussion standards (i.e., expected forum norms).

I don't think the post by Cookie_Monster was strictly celebrating death - at least not directly - but it was tactless in the extreme and basically just plain stupid. If he or she wanted they could easily have set up a new "Legacy of BL" thread.

That, in my opinion, would have been the optimal solution. I accept what Scofflaw says, about the actions of Lenihan being relevant, but the thread was clearly set up to offer condolences and not the kind of commentary that developed.

I'm going to be honest here (and perhaps a little untactful), but I agree strongly with P. Breathnach. I don't think it's tenable to distance moderator duty from the culture of the forum. It seems that about half of what we do as moderators here is enforce discussion standards (i.e., expected forum norms).

I don't think the post by Cookie_Monster was strictly celebrating death - at least not directly - but it was tactless in the extreme and basically just plain stupid. If he or she wanted they could easily have set up a new "Legacy of BL" thread.

That, in my opinion, would have been the optimal solution. I accept what Scofflaw says, about the actions of Lenihan being relevant, but the thread was clearly set up to offer condolences and not the kind of commentary that developed.

That's true, and I'm happy that you've decided to take on the splitting of the thread. I'm afraid I simply couldn't face it, because by the time I got to the thread it was lunchtime and I had just lost a significant field from about 137,000 database records.
    Scofflaw wrote:
    That is specious: the culture of the forum is something about which the mods can do something.

That's what I said - apologies for being flippant.
    Not your responsibility, then?

You know that I have been generally onside with the moderators here, but in this case I think you have got things wrong, badly wrong.

No, I obviously accept that it's be my responsibility, but it wasn't something I had time to do today. I do regard Cookie_Monster's comment as a good deal less than 'celebrating' Lenihan's death, but Eliot's is the best solution.

apologies,
    Scofflaw

That's true, and I'm happy that you've decided to take on the splitting of the thread. I'm afraid I simply couldn't face it, because by the time I got to the thread it was lunchtime and I had just lost a significant field from about 137,000 database records.

That's a disaster - sorry to hear about that.

I've split the thread now, and I've sent a PM to Cookie_Monster about the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's a disaster - sorry to hear about that.

I've split the thread now, and I've sent a PM to Cookie_Monster about the post.

Why have you pm'ed him about the post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Can I ask why there are even condolences threads in politics? It seems that in the forum it makes more sense to discuss someone's political legacy than to just have page after page of RIP with no further allowable comment.

It might be useful for the forum to have a clear policy on this, especially given the current state of Margaret Thatcher's health...

Nodin wrote: »
    Why have you pm'ed him about the post?

Because posters are expected not to make a post when it is blatantly obvious it is going to get a rise out of people and result in the kind of mess that occurred today.
    Can I ask why there are even condolences threads in politics?

Because there is demand for them, as evidenced by the fact that the condolences thread has now 8 pages of posts.
    It might be useful for the forum to have a clear policy on this, especially given the current state of Margaret Thatcher's health...

I must arrange to be out of the country when that happens.

Can I ask why there are even condolences threads in politics? It seems that in the forum it makes more sense to discuss someone's political legacy than to just have page after page of RIP with no further allowable comment.

Because - and this is somewhere where my partly English upbringing lets me down - publicly paying your respects to the dead is an integral part of Irish culture. And woe betide the person who does other than say something nice, as you've seen - although, to be fair, if one has nothing good to say, one can always say nothing, a rule far too rarely observed.

As for Thatcher...that'll be interesting, but the same policy will apply - a mod who is not frantically hunting for database backups and raw data files will ensure there is a condolences thread and a 'legacy' thread. The former will contain the RIP posts, the latter the furious diatribes against the Iron Lady and her works.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Apparently the BBC keep black ties, mourning paraphenalia and broadcasting protocols in a cupboard somewhere in the event of having to announce the death of Margaret Thatcher (and other category 1 individuals) live on air.

Perhaps boards.ie might consider some fire extinguishers and a water cannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Because - and this is somewhere where my partly English upbringing lets me down - publicly paying your respects to the dead is an integral part of Irish culture. And woe betide the person who does other than say something nice, as you've seen - although, to be fair, if one has nothing good to say, one can always say nothing, a rule far too rarely observed.

I think that it is partly to do with being a small country and with everyone knowing everyone. We've already had one poster identify themselves on the "legacy" thread as being a relative of Brian's.

It just strikes me that there is no immediate need to discuss the legacy as it will not change (Later10 I won't be giving out if you resurrect your Garret's legacy thread now), but there is the ability to cause additional pain to family and friends if any of them check out boards.ie, and you're unlikely to get an objective debate when someone's death is still felt acutely.

I should disclose that I believe I am a 4th or 5th cousin of Mr Cowan's but I cannot envisage ever being distressed by a Cowan's legacy thread, I just cannot see why someone doesn't start it today when he is alive instead of waiting until he is dead.

I don't know, I think I personally would be in favor of something like a 2 weeks grace period after a death before starting a legacy thread, while encouraging their being started while the person is still living.

The RIP thread, which looks a little more serious in Politics when dealing with a politician, might be of some consolation to any family and friends who read it.

I think that it is partly to do with being a small country and with everyone knowing everyone. We've already had one poster identify themselves on the "legacy" thread as being a relative of Brian's.

It just strikes me that there is no immediate need to discuss the legacy as it will not change (Later10 I won't be giving out if you resurrect your Garret's legacy thread now), but there is the ability to cause additional pain to family and friends if any of them check out boards.ie, and you're unlikely to get an objective debate when someone's death is still felt acutely.

I should disclose that I believe I am a 4th or 5th cousin of Mr Cowan's but I cannot envisage ever being distressed by a Cowan's legacy thread, I just cannot see why someone doesn't start it today when he is alive instead of waiting until he is dead.

I don't know, I think I personally would be in favor of something like a 2 weeks grace period after a death before starting a legacy thread, while encouraging their being started while the person is still living.

The RIP thread, which looks a little more serious in Politics when dealing with a politician, might be of some consolation to any family and friends who read it.

Realistically, though, there's absolutely no chance of a two-week moratorium on discussing Brian Lenihan's legacy. Short of banning everyone from the Politics forum, obviously.

And don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Realistically, though, there's absolutely no chance of a two-week moratorium on discussing Brian Lenihan's legacy. Short of banning everyone from the Politics forum, obviously.

And don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I presume that includes yourself Scofflaw?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I presume that includes yourself Scofflaw?

No, I reckon I'd be OK. I'd start a thread maybe on daisies, or cats. I like cats. I could tidy a bit, too, maybe take the curtains down and wash them. Reconstitute that database.

domestically,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

you're unlikely to get an objective debate when someone's death is still felt acutely.

What derails condolence threads is when posters devitate from the standard "RIP" personal response and instead attempt to propose a positive spin on the individuals political or public record: i.e: "A tremendous loss to Ireland" or " A hugely courageous politician and servant of the people".

Once a political judgement, even a positive one, is introduced, then negative political judgements "a fool and liar" or "no loss to Ireland at all" follows like night follows day.

I think if condolence threads were restrained to actual condolences then you wouldnt see the outbreaks of political debate, which might be upsetting to family members.

@Elliot Rosewater
    but the thread was clearly set up to offer condolences and not the kind of commentary that developed.

Cookie_Monster didnt introduce the commentary that developed - he reacted to a post which claimed that Brian Lenihan would be a great loss to the nation. Many, many, many people have been impacted by the decisions made by Lenihan during his time in office and they can hold very strong feelings about it (see the number of thanks on his post). If the thread was set up to offer condolences, centered on remembering Brian Lenihan as a father and husband, then it went off track when people attempted to impose postive political judgements on Brian Lenihans record as part of the condolences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

This is a good example of the way Politics is ran in a reactive manner rather than forward thinking, I didn't get a single reply to this comment last year (not even a 'no, this is the most appropriate place for them), but once proper controversy emerges!

I'm just wondering, where do the RIP threads really fit in the politics forum? the one currently active does not meat any of the posting a new thread guidelines.

Not meaning to be insensitive but perhaps there would be a more appropriate forum for them?

posted last March

There has been a Feedback thread set up about this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056296062#
    Sand wrote: »
    Cookie_Monster didnt introduce the commentary that developed - he reacted to a post which claimed that Brian Lenihan would be a great loss to the nation. Many, many, many people have been impacted by the decisions made by Lenihan during his time in office and they can hold very strong feelings about it (see the number of thanks on his post). If the thread was set up to offer condolences, centered on remembering Brian Lenihan as a father and husband, then it went off track when people attempted to impose postive political judgements on Brian Lenihans record as part of the condolences.

I see your point. Effectively, positive political judgements seem appropriate in a condolences thread whereas negative ones don't. I don't think that's a problem though, unless you want to apply a strict rule (no political commentary of any kind) and I don't see any reason to apply such a rule.

It's like any time or place where a dead person is being remembered. At my father's funeral I might comment on his teaching skills, or his heavy involvement in Tidy Towns in our community. Am I going to say to my mother "remember that time he shouted at both of us?" By the standard you expect of condolences threads here, me not saying that while saying the other stuff would make me a hypocrite. But I don't see it as a problem because positive judgements and negative judgements are qualitatively different in the these kinds of contexts.

And even if you don't agree with that, that's the norm that's expected and socially upheld. That's what made Cookie_Monster's post so bad: it was obvious there was going to be a backlash against it. And it would have been very easy to set up a "Legacy of Brain Lenihan thread." It was an ill judged comment that was blatantly against the expected contribution on that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

So is that a Mod view that a negative statement about some ones legacy is not for these threads or is it personal?

In relation to your example
    I would compare Boards.ie to the lounge of a pub or cafe rather than the alter of a church etc (though I understand the libel risks etc). If an important man in a small town died who's decisions caused a lot of problems for people, they may not say what they feel outside the graveyard, but they will be talking about it later.

So is that a Mod view that a negative statement about some ones legacy is not for these threads or is it personal?

I would imagine the consensus. (I'm willing to be shown wrong?)
    I would compare Boards.ie to the lounge of a pub or cafe rather than the alter of a church etc (though I understand the libel risks etc). If an important man in a small town died who's decisions caused a lot of problems for people, they may not say what they feel outside the graveyard, but they will be talking about it later.

But the way the thread was set up it was obvious that the expectation was that it be only for condolences. If, after the funeral in the pub, we are in a circle discussing our friend's legacy, would you be at all surprised if we lashed out at another person in the pub who came up to us and started bitching about him? Fine, keep it to your corner (i.e., set up a thread to discuss the legacy), but butting in on people who are clearly just offering condolences is extremely ill-judged.

I tend towards this latter view, and Sand's, but in terms of social conventions, Lockstep is entirely right - and because the social conventions are so strong, someone posting what Cookie_Monster did is inviting the kind of outraged response he generated, and is unlikely not to realise it. Despite that, I can't bring myself to censure CM, because, as Sand says, eulogising a politician as a politician strikes me as equally unacceptable, particularly one whose choices we are currently living with.

Comments about Lenihan's bravery in fighting cancer, the loss to his family, his personal characteristics, all seem to me to be an acceptable part of such eulogies. Comments praising his political decisions...no. That seems to me to offer an opportunity to engage in a little propaganda knowing that you won't be contradicted because people are unwilling to break the taboo on speaking ill of the recently dead.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I understand that condolences are important culturally, but I still think that a 'RIP' thread is ill-placed in the Politics forum. But I suppose I am in the minority here, so I would suggest that if there are going to be RIP threads, there should not be any commentary on their political legacy - positive or negative. That should be for a separate 'legacy' thread. Allowing only positive comments would seem inconsistent.

I'd also add that I don't think there needs to be a moratorium on legacy threads. If people's sensibilities are that delicate, then they can refrain from reading the thread for 72 hours; 2 weeks, whatever. They would also have to refrain from reading newspapers or watching the news, since most major media outlets have pre-prepared obituaries for older public figures that usually delve into the good and bad of their political careers, and are published almost instantaneously when it is confirmed that a public figure has died.

but butting in on people who are clearly just offering condolences is extremely ill-judged.

It appears to me, now it's just a suspicion, that you are purposely ignoring the fact that its clearly not 'just offering condolences'. Saying 'RIP, thinking of his family' is very different from 'RIP to a great statesman, who steered this country wisely through difficult times'. If you cannot recognise that political statements are seeping into the condolences thread unless those political sentiments are negative then you have missed the point of those calling for an end to RIP threads (or at least an end to the current form that they take)

Indeed. When Mrs Thatcher shuffles off, I expect her to be a springboard for massive trolling 'condolences' from all sides, some well cloaked, others bricks in newspaper.

Indeed. When Mrs Thatcher shuffles off, I expect her to be a springboard for massive trolling 'condolences' from all sides, some well cloaked, others bricks in newspaper.

I loathe Maggoe Thatchers political ideology with a passion, however I wouldnt be against people offering condolences when she passes, I'd wish RIP too. What I would be against, and I'm against it with all condolence threads is people posting opinion on a political career which in others eyes may smack of political revisionism and where it cannot be challenged. I've no wish to get into a brawl on an RIP thread so the content of what people write should be moderated appropriately.

I loathe Maggoe Thatchers political ideology with a passion, however I wouldnt be against people offering condolences when she passes, I'd wish RIP too. What I would be against, and I'm against it with all condolence threads is people posting opinion on a political career which in others eyes may smack of political revisionism and where it cannot be challenged. I've no wish to get into a brawl on an RIP thread so the content of what people write should be moderated appropriately.

....well you know its not RIP that I have a problem with......

....well you know its not RIP that I have a problem with......

Me neither, not in the slightest. But the posters over on the feedback thread seem to have difficulty comprehending that and maybe I have it wrong because I haven't posted on feedback before but I haven't really gotten any moderator feedback. They've also been unusually quiet here about giving the official position on what is acceptable in an RIP thread. But I know they get busy.

Hi,
    Is there a reason why it is possible to post charts, graphs and other images in all political forums except for the EU forum?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement