Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic were robbed!

• 22-05-2003 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

On the football pitch and on the terraces Celtic were robbed. Fair enough, no team has a god given right to win a match - but when the ref is giving every 50-50 against you, and blatant time wasting is going completely unchecked it kinda stacks the odds against you. The ref was terrible, only started booking Porto players when they were a goal up in extra time. This played nicely into their hands as it gave rise to further time wasting.

As for the terraces, stories of ripping off are rampant. Travel agencies selling packages that they will never be able to provide, chartered flights for 500 euro to Spain, match tickets for 1000 euro and upwards.

If you have any gripes about the match - or stories of people paying over the odds, it would be interesting to hear them.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The ref was poor. But I don't think they were "robbed" by him. Porto had equally poor decisions given against them. The only thing I found annoying was Derlei rolling around trying to fix divots on the pitch. Deco was poetry in motion.

Your saying Celtic fans were robbed. Well, fair enough but they weren't FORCED to pay any money. If they want to pay that amount of money then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Celtic lost because they weren't good enough,without larson they would have lost 2-0 and apart from his chances they hadn't a decent chance on goal hardly robbed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sposs I've just banned anarchy for being rude and posting rubbish. I won't have a problem adding you to that banned list behave or else.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Sposs
    Celtic lost because they weren't good enough,without larson they would have lost 2-0 and apart from his chances they hadn't a decent chance on goal hardly robbed?

So Shut up you muppet :rolleyes:
    A little hostile there Sposs:p
    For me, Porto were probably the better team on the night. Celtic (or maybe just Larson and whoever was crossing the ball) did show however that they had the ability to reply quickly to both of Portos first two goals. They were kind of robbed of that opportunity in extra time by virtue of the fact that the ball wasn't in play.

As regards the fans, fair enough they weren't forced to pay the prices, they were still extortionate. Also fair enough that supply and demand put the prices up where they were.

My own personal gripe (other people may have their own) is with travel agencies. I booked myself onto two seperate packages for the match. The first turned out not to have match tickets after assuring us several times that they did while booking. When it turned out they had sold us something they didn't have we went to the second agency. I don't think they even ran the flight that they said they had chartered, not to mention a lack of match tickets.

The match was mildly upsetting - thats football, but I still have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Post Edited!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Originally posted by p.pete

As for the terraces, stories of ripping off are rampant. Travel agencies selling packages that they will never be able to provide, chartered flights for 500 euro to Spain, match tickets for 1000 euro and upwards.

Most of the lads I know who travelled had no tickets and didnt even plan to try and get any, they were being realistic and just travelled to be part of a great occassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a few i know that went over also went with no intention of going into the game and said it was one of the best holidays ever. they're back tomorrow

bastards

Originally posted by Jake303
    http://www.ccsc11544.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/seville/seville.htm

Some pics of the occassion!
    Fantastics pictures, thanks for the link;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Celtic werent robbed they were beaten by a better "footballing" team, Celtics thug tactics is one of the reasons the Porto players went down and timewasted which although may not be gentlemanly conduct it wins football matches.
    Celtic had no answer but to hump the ball up to Larsson whilst Porto and Deco were good to watch when they had the ball.
    Personally i dislike Celtic FC and their fans so was happy they lost just felt they should have lost by more Porto should have been out of sight by the 1st half but they didnt finsih their chances (something Celtic had none of in 1st half).

And to cap it off and show how whingey the Celtic players/managers/fans are the amount of crap they spewing since the game robbed/bad ref/etc etc: is unreal.

Yet none have held their hand up and said they were beaten by a better technical side who could pass the ball.

Come on rangers :D
    kdjac

• Advertisement

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Celtic werent robbed they were beaten by a better "footballing" team, Celtics thug tactics is one of the reasons the Porto players went down and timewasted which although may not be gentlemanly conduct it wins football matches.
    Celtic had no answer but to hump the ball up to Larsson whilst Porto and Deco were good to watch when they had the ball.
    Personally i dislike Celtic FC and their fans so was happy they lost just felt they should have lost by more Porto should have been out of sight by the 1st half but they didnt finsih their chances (something Celtic had none of in 1st half).
    My argument was more along the lines that if things were fairer then they would have been given the chance to fight back in the match and try get the third equaliser.

Porto were definitely the better team - Even if there was no foul play they still may not have been able to do it. The chance was not given to them though and that kind of belittles the event as a game of football.
    And to cap it off and show how whingey the Celtic players/managers/fans are the amount of crap they spewing since the game robbed/bad ref/etc etc: is unreal.

Yet none have held their hand up and said they were beaten by a better technical side who could pass the ball.

kdjac
    Have you seen the thread "Well done Porto" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97043 Lots of people there congratulating Porto for what was the better performance.

I think it's funny the number of people willing to knock Celtic supporters while they are down - Thats football I guess. Roll on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Not long back from Seville, was at the game..

An amazing few days. Im totally shattered and exausted! it was a great game, I really thought we were going to do it, but alaa it was not to be..

From talking to celts all over the place, I met no one, or met anyone who knew of anyone who paid over 500 for a ticket, while plenty of people paid 250-500. I think the £1000 a ticket thing is a bit of a "urban myth" to be honest..

A good story I saw outside the ground, there was a celt who came off a bus and produced 4 or 5 tickets out of his pocket, and started shouting that he wanted €500 each for them..

Two of his mates gave him a clip around the ear and took the spare tickets off him and sold them to some other lads with no tickets for face value :)

Did ye get any pics of the occassion vAGGABOND?
    Maybe you could post them online somewhere!
    Thanks

Personally i dislike Celtic FC and their fans so was happy they lost (something Celtic had none of in 1st half).

kdjac

Fair enough if ye dislike Celtic fc and the fans, I can understand that!

But "come on Rangers"..................
    Are you saying that what that club stands for or their fans are any better?

Real well thought out argument there mate!
    :D

Couldnt give a monkeys for what Celtic or Rangers stand for i watch football.
    I dislike Celtic so would prefer to see their fans cry at losing the league to do that Rangers must win so therefore "come on Rangers" and all its sarcastic undertones makes perfect sense :D

kdjac

Originally posted by Jake303
    Fair enough if ye dislike Celtic fc and the fans, I can understand that!

But "come on Rangers"..................
    Are you saying that what that club stands for or their fans are any better?

Real well thought out argument there mate!
    :D
    Yeah good point Jake, there is a couple of choices there. You can support Celtic for what they stand for or Rangers for what they stand for (whatever that means?). God forbid, you could even support one of them because you like the way they play football. You can even support them just because thats what you always have done - thats why I support pool (hate the way they play football;) ).

Supporting Rangers (or even Celtic) because you dislike the fans is a bit ridiculous. Both sets of supporters are pretty much similar for quite a lot of reasons.

I dislike Celtic so would prefer to see their fans cry at losing the league to do that Rangers must win so therefore "come on Rangers" and all its sarcastic undertones makes perfect sense :D

kdjac

Ok, thats cleared it right up for me, makes perfect sense now!
    :rolleyes:
    :p

Damn! I was sure he said he disliked Celtic fc and the fans...........

kdjac
    Contradictions, theres another thing that makes perfect sense.

So which is it:
    a) You couldn't "give a monkeys" about what they stand for

b) You "dislike Celtic" (kinda goes against option a and the whole not giving away monkeys bit.

c) You "watch football" (is that in the spirit of may the better team win? cause that just doesn't fit in with option b)

Contradictions is what being a football fan is all about :)

I hate Celtic and i hate their fans not for what they stand for, to that i couldnt give a monkeys.
    I dislike their fans and the club for a footballing reason (imagine that disliking Celtic for a footballing reason).
    I watch football and consider myself a fan and therefore when we played Celtic i had an instant dislike to them because of their attitude and behaviour and treatment of our players and supporters.

So care me not for religous crap, hate Celtic (ironcially used to have a season ticket for Parkhead) and watch football :D

Come on Rangers tee hee hee :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Contradictions, theres another thing that makes perfect sense.

So which is it:
    a) You couldn't "give a monkeys" about what they stand for

b) You "dislike Celtic" (kinda goes against option a and the whole not giving away monkeys bit.

c) You "watch football" (is that in the spirit of may the better team win? cause that just doesn't fit in with option b)

blah blah blah

celtic suck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I hope the lesser of two evils wins this weekend I hate rangers too but I have to deal with less rangers fans in Ireland so
    Come on Rangers.

Contradictions is what being a football fan is all about :)
    Absolutely, just wouldn't be fun otherwise.

I watch football and consider myself a fan and therefore when we played Celtic i had an instant dislike to them because of their attitude and behaviour and treatment of our players and supporters.
    Out of interest, which team were you supporting when ye played Celtic and they pissed ye off. I totally get that as a reason for hating another football team. Us Liverpool supporters were always quick to hate teams that stayed better than us for more than a season (quite a few at the moment, although not suggesting for a moment that is the reason Celtic pissed ye off). Go on Celtic (contradiction, maybe?)

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    blah blah blah

celtic suck
    No comeback to that one, don't like pickin apart arguments that perfect:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

No comeback to that one, don't like pickin apart arguments that perfect:cool:

thank you. its not often you are right...

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    thank you. its not often you are right...
    Flatery will get you everywhere. Well to Rangers, hope ye don't do so well next season:cool:

Advertisement