Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No satellite signal being received

• 22-05-2003 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

A few days ago I lost all the Irish channels, I was getting the message no satellite signal being received, then I also lost Eurosport News and yesterday BBC 1. I called Sky who say I have a developed a problem picking up low band frequency channels and I will need an engineer out to fix it.
    I wonder is it something else though.
    I have an old FTA card and I am constantly changing the cards. I also received a new Sky card which I have not activated for fear of losing the FTA channels on the other card. I also believe that Sky have sent messages to the digiboxes in relation to the new cards, and I wonder is this tampering with receipt of the Irish channels. I wonder if I activate my new Sky card will this bring the channels I have lost back.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

If your Irish channels are down on your Sub card, your ITV channels will be down on your FTV card.
    This is because they use the same satellite.
    You might have a faulty LNB or if you have a Pace 2500 box, a faulty Zif tuner.
    These can be replaced in most Satellite repair shops.
    The only Satellite repair guy who posts on this board I think is Tony.
    I'm not sure if he actually fixes Digiboxes. Click on
    www.satellite.ie to find out.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If your signal weakens, RTE's are usually the first to go and usually Hallmark channel, etc will give you NSS message too.

Funny, I went to a customer with this problem yesterday, and after checking the dish, I decided to check the cable too and sure enough, there was a nick in the cable and after time, water ingress had corroded the braid knocking out weaker signals. Changing the cable fixed the problem.

In your case, i'd imagine it's a signal problem. The ZIF tuners in Pace 2500's nine times out of ten just die on all channels. Or occasionally, I've noticed that certain channels will constantly breakup, especially Sky News, Sky One, etc which again turned out to be dodgy ZIF tuner (the cuase for many annoyed customers) .:(

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I suspect that if it is a Pace box that your Tuner is on the way out. Are you getting any picture breakup?

If on the other hand it is a grundig box well then it may be your power supply.
    The best thing to do is if you can get a loan of another box this will rule out you LNB.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lots of things could be
    http://www.satcure.com/digirep.htm
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/digifaq2.htm

services 401 and lnb setup - check if 22KHz tone is ON

Try LNB / reciever against known working ones. then either lnb settings or psu in digibox

You can buy a separate 22KHz toner -that goes on the cable - not sure how to get it working from the remote control though - some have a switch on the front and / or a fly lead that goes into pin 8 ? 20? of scart - but don't know if can get that signal from sky reomote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Reggioemilia

I have a PACE digibox and have being experiencing the same problems for a while. Well actually since RTE launched on SKY I have had a problem with recieving them.
    Lately EurosportNews and Hallmark along with SKY Travel and Disney Channels have given problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

That sounds like your dish is out of alignment. Bring the box to a friends house that gets those channels fine and see what happens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sorry wrong thread..

But if it not a misaligned dish - then look up the the channels on

www.lyngsat.com
    www.satcodx.com
    www.satmania.com

and see if there is any commanality between the missing channels

eg: H / V (eg: H uses a higher voltage - PSU or cable or LNB )

above or below 11.700 (22KHz tone thingy)

Different satellites have different coverage areas and hence different signal strengths (also applies to a lesser extent to individual transponders ?) - so if all the missing channels are on one satellite then either you need to realign the dish a smidgen (NB. mark it's original position first - and don't move the position of the LNB more than 1 cm at a time) or ask the nice folks at SES to move the satellite about 400-500Km to the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight so if all the missing channels are on one satellite then either you need to realign the dish a smidgen (NB. mark it's original position first - and don't move the position of the LNB more than 1 cm at a time) or ask the nice folks at SES to move the satellite about 400-500Km to the left.

heh ... :p

Advertisement