Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This happening to any1 else?

Options
  • 22-05-2003 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place.
    Just wondering if anyone else is affected by this of have heard of it.
    Story is a lot of staff here where I work are being plagued by 2 websites that seem to hijack the internet connection when they try access any website.

It happens with ANY web address you type in.
    e.g. try access google, and next this this 'news-international' site opens up, with links to all the tabloids. Another site that seems to hijack the line is www.emap.com.

It getting really annoying, not to mention embarassing ; trying to give a presentation and referencing a website and this bloody news-international site keeps coming up.

Normally a few refreshes will get rid of it, but sometimes you have to close and re-open internet explorer.

We've checked our end of the equation and all signs point to the line being 'jacked' outside in the www.

The frequency of this happening has reduced recently but it's still damn annoying.

So many ppl asking me why it's happening and I have no reply.

Thanx in advance for any info. or help.

Cheers,

Krusty.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you may have some spyware on your pc which when the internet is launched loads the page. Download adaware (use google to find url) and that will tell you what is there that shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

This happened to the company I work for also, turns out our DNS servers had being infected/hacked in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ad-aware, URL: http://www.lavasoft.de

go for the standard version, full download. (there is a link to majorgeeks). This is freeware and will scan and remove spyware from your PC, however it will not prevent you from getting reinfected (cookies etc) unless you pay the subscription.

Have you tried a complete cleanup? (temporary internet files (including cookies), downloaded program files).

Check your win.ini and look for anyhting unusual starting up (serveral viruses and spyware have entries in the win.ini).

Check the registry for entries in the RUN and RUNONCE key (HKEY local machine.. software..microsoft.. windows if i remember correctly).

Adaware should check all these for you but it never hurts to try again.

If you dont get any replies that help in the next day or two, I'll move this over to ms-apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Sounds like that lop.com site - so bloody annoying!

Yep follow instructions above lavasoft stuff.

another way is to "restore defaults" in internet explorer. (That is if it is lop.com)

Advertisement