Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A utility that does this.....

• 22-05-2003 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Does anyone know of a utility that would let a relote machine know when a PC has connected to the internet, and what IP it has been assigned?

I have several (L)users that I remotely administrate, who connect to the internet at mad hours of the day and night. I need a way of knowing that a machine is on-line, and then the IP I can VNC into. Any ideas? Google has failed me. Whatever next!!!!!?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I take it you know about Admin Tools esp. rasadmin - if you have wins you should be able to pull the IP there. In NT you just copy the Admin tools programs and any needed dll's - There is also a version of Admin tools for win95 so you don't even need to VNC into the RAS server to see the info..

Alternatively you could use the login script to notify you..
    eg. BLAT can send emails from a login script
    or just
    NET SEND MrNosey %USERNAME% on%COMPUTERNAME%
    (use PutInEnv /l and WinSET for win9x PC's)

Anyone know how to tell if a connection is RAS or local ?
    (without having to get a copy of SMS... )
    Could do it by ping time <10ms or not
    Or ipconfig / winipcfg - pipe to text file and find the MAC address (ppp uses the same MAC's only the last digit changes..)
    This also gives you the local IP too..

Or restrict their hours..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If they VPN into you the above should work

Otherwise messy
    'cos if you have to rely on them clicking on an icon to let you know when they are on line - forget it - the problem cases don't be helpful.

maybe you could hide internet short cut and so they have to click on a batch file to start the link and then blat / net sent.

If you trust M$ there is netmeeting....

If they VPN into you then you should be able to pick up the IP at your end - ping - if reply nbtstat to id use at that address...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

If you can afford the risk, install something like backorfice - that'll do pretty much all you need. Just make sure you have pu tit on your virus scanner's exclusion list.

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Cheers Guys. The L(users) in question are just dialing up to the internet, no VPN connections will be made.

One suggestion has given me an idea. Is there a way to execute a command after a DUN adapter has been actived. In other words, you get past "Verifing Username and Password",, blah blah blah, and then it would execute a batch file which would use either a command line E-Mailer, or the NET command to let me know they've connected.

Back Orrifice is not an option, but something a little more legit and/or secure might be an idea.

Getting there, anyone get more to add?

to run script after DUN connected

a) Login script when logging in on the VPN
    NOTE: Windows XP home don't do login scripts

b) Script to do the Dial up AND then the rest of it...
    that is the bit about hiding makeing a short cut to DUN and hiding both the short cut and DUN and then running the link -
    eg: open a dos box - drag/drop the shortcut onto it - you then see the command line - and use START to call it in a batch file

anyone know how to get DUN scripting to call a batch file ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement