Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email to SMS Solution

Options
  • 22-05-2003 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys im wondering if you can help me

Im working on a website at the moment and my client needs to have a text messages send to his phone when he recieves a email for a certain address .

Something like if you are registered with vodaphone.ie or the old Emerge .

Anyone have any experience of this

Cheers Declan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Yes, I have - I used to do it on one of my old personal sites.

Basically sign up and register with vodafone.ie - you can set a list of emails in which you want to be sent notification of when an email arrives.

Set up a new email account on your server, depending on your mail server software you should be able to set it up so that it will automatically forward on to your vodanfone email address without affecting the headers - meaning that the forwarded mail will be sent from the sender and not your hosting provider.

Does that make sense?

Its proabably better to develop something for him to give him more control. A simple application wouldnt be that difficult or costly to develop.

If you need any more help reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Cheers tomED

thanks for the Help

this Will work but does anyone else have any other solutions as I want to have a few options

Dec

As i said you could build your own application - or get an outside provider to do one for you.

Of course 2bscene can do it for you! ;) We have experience developing a wide range of Web2SMS appplications, two0way sms etc.

But there is also another company www.zamano.com - these guys offer cheap SMS text messaging prices and probably already have an application built to suit your requirements.

Some mail server software like - ipswitches IMail has it built into it to send you a text message when it receives a mail - but as far as I know the ISP has to have his system set up to send SMS.

Other than that I don't think you are going to get many other ideas.

If anyone else knows of other ways - bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

oh the pimping :D

just kidding.

oh the pimping

LOL!!! Has to be done - I initially tried to help out without pimping, but what the hey. Ill probably be kicked off the boards now - wait till you see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

hehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Unless you find yourself a cheap provider (there’s a good few out there in fairness) and develop your own (which would involve some form of scheduled process checking for new mail periodically), there’s probably a good few inexpensive solutions out there that you could use (I seem to remember that Go2Mobile had one some time back). I would suggest that you go for an ASP model for your solution as it eliminates the need to have a process running on your own server.
    Originally posted by tomED
    Of course 2bscene can do it for you! ;) We have experience developing a wide range of Web2SMS appplications, two0way sms etc.
    Humour me and name a few.

Advertisement