Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPIN 1038 Scum?

Options
  • 22-05-2003 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Where have all the pirates gone?

Is it some SPIN1038 induced crackdown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96945
    Official Statement: Phantom FM off air
    In the light of recent ComReg action against radio stations in the Dublin area, Phantom FM have voluntarily ceased transmissions on our FM frequencies. We hope to resume full service as soon as possible.

Gickload of other stations been shutdown too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

If you look on the phantom boards there is a link to the story.
    Its a discrace and i wouldnt be supprised is spin, today etc were involved in putting pressure to get em closed down.

Damn PiE you posted at the same time as me even posting a link instead of just mentioning it are you trying to make me look stupid? yes I know its not hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

bleedin' scumbags, only good stations are pirate. feckin coprate whores:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    If you look on the phantom boards there is a link to the story.
    Its a discrace and i wouldnt be supprised is spin, today etc were involved in putting pressure to get em closed down.

I don't remember a problem before SPIN came along. If they can't fight on a level playing field then they ain't getting my business anymore. I used to listen to Spin and Freedom92 interchangibly. Think i'll stick with Freedom and my cds from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Er... yer jumping to a few conclusions there now. PhantomFM was taken off the air before, when Spin wasn't even around.

I'm not saying Spin et al didn't have something to do with it but it is part of ComReg's job to stop pirate radio stations afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by ballooba
    Think i'll stick with Freedom and my cds from now on.

Freedom is gone too.
    As is Jazz and XFM (although that's down a lot it would seem).
    Sun 80s
    Kiss
    Hot Radio
    Premier
    The Vibe
    Future

A lot of the above are crap. And some of them (Premier and Sun) may just not be coming in well on my hi-fi at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

jesus premier was the only thing keeping my head above water in the worst job ever

- are they ever gonna come back or is that completely it ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Any station that would hire Emma Leddon is obviously the work of satan.

€50 for the first person to vomit on a "Spini" windscreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

Indeed, it's v. strange that Jazz FM is offline, as I thought JFM pipped Phantom at the post for a license a few years ago.

Very true that pirate stations were the only thing worth listening to for decent music in Dublin (Nova, Jazz, Kiss etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Originally posted by magpie
    Any station that would hire Emma Leddon is obviously the work of satan.

€50 for the first person to vomit on a "Spini" windscreen

That was THE FUNNIEST posting i ever ever saw.And i accept this challenge!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PiE
    Er... yer jumping to a few conclusions there now. PhantomFM was taken off the air before, when Spin wasn't even around.

I'm not saying Spin et al didn't have something to do with it but it is part of ComReg's job to stop pirate radio stations afterall.

This is the most organised dismantling since the 80's though? or have I just got a short memory.

I know Freedom are off too but I'm listening to cds and today fm atm. Even though i'm not a big fan of Phantom personally (not my kinda music) I know that they deserved that licence a hell of a lot more than Spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by disco_rob_funk
    Indeed, it's v. strange that Jazz FM is offline, as I thought JFM pipped Phantom at the post for a license a few years ago.

nah jazz don't have a license.. they only broadcast the weekends nowdays i think anyway, so they didnt get caught in this fraca afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've heard many 'rumours' that it was indeed Spin who put the pressure on comreg to shut down their competitiors...I say competitors because Spin have such a measly market share compared the the _pirates_, that they're suffering a serious case of the sour grapes.
    Phantom should have gotten that licence.

There hasn't been a raid on this scale in over 10 years.
    Check out www.radiowaves.fm for news on this.

I'm all for the scobie knacker stations who broadcast over commercial radio and emergency frequencies being shut down, but not phantom, X, Jazz and Nova who all show a lot of professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Drella118

You can get more info at:
    http://www.indymedia.ie/cgi-bin/newswire.cgi?id=49811

As well as the 11 locations raided, there were a number of others who closed down voluntarily.

Jazz FM is off the air (more news on that at www.radiowaves.fm). they didn't have live DJs during the week, but they were still transmitting. their 'shed in the mountains' was raided and all the equipment was seized.

I'd love to find out who had been putting pressure on Comreg, was it all the licensed stations or just a few assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Drella118
    You can get more info at:
    http://www.indymedia.ie/cgi-bin/newswire.cgi?id=49811

Ha, I was wondering how long it'd take those lads to jump on this bandwagon.
    I'd believe what I read on radiowaves before i'd believe indymedia... just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah, this is why I get loads less radio stations when I flick through the walkman in the morning walk to work?

Wow, thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's a terrible pity that Phantom is not streaming on the interweb either. It was the only way I could hear it considering FM broadcasts from Dublin don't reach Donegal too well! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

It's a terrible pity that Phantom is not streaming on the interweb either. It was the only way I could hear it considering FM broadcasts from Dublin don't reach Donegal too well!
    Phantom is going back on the web from mid week.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    Phantom is going back on the web from mid week.

Ah good! That's me sorted then! :D

Phantom is back on now. Seems they are only reading messages out though about them shutting down.

• Advertisement

Kiss FM is back on now. Freedom is the only one i care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

BBC Radio 2 is coming in where Jazz is supposed to be.

[edit]Well it was, not anymore though.[/edit]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nas - Hate me now.

Wrong thread. :p

Advertisement