Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom I-Stream download cap/limit issues

Options
  • 22-05-2003 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

[Apologies if this is in an FAQ somewhere, I've looked but can't find it]

What software do people generally use to keep an eye on their monthly download size?

I am on the new eircom i-stream package (4gB per month) and am currently just pasting download totals into a spreadsheet every day, there has got to be a better way to do this.

I've tried the http://broadbanddownload.eircom.net/ site, but the totals in there bear no relation to reality whatsoever, after 3 days it says I have apparently downloaded over 20gB!, anybody else have trouble using this resource?

Armitage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

Hello.

DU_METER is the one I use go to www.download.com and search for it. :o

cranoo.

Just went to that Eircom download limit site, it said I have downloaded 8gb so far this month, this is not the case, and if im billed for this it's the end of adsl for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

armitage_shanks lol

good name!

But why oh why did people go for a capped service especially Eircom... they count surfing as part of the cap... at least Esat have 5 gig and its only on downloads.. now surfing... and netsource has no cap/ sigh...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Saruman
    armitage_shanks lol

good name!

But why oh why did people go for a capped service especially Eircom... they count surfing as part of the cap... at least Esat have 5 gig and its only on downloads.. now surfing...

Huh, downloads and surfing are the same thing.

Surfing works by you uploading a small amount of info (HTTP Request) and then downloading the web page (html/images/sound/picture/flash, etc.). I'm sure Esat include the webpages you download in the cap. It would be quiet difficult for Esat to differentiate between normal surfing and downloading, after all you can download very large files using http (though not efficiently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 idnb

My download amount jumped from 3200MB yesterday to 14000MB today

there must be something going on in eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

I've gone through the stats recorded by my smoothwall box, & the statistics on the eircom site are accurate for all previous months but not the current month, which is way off the mark. Hopefully things will sort next month, when it'll be next months stats that are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I'm seeing the same thing on our company account - 135 GB so far in May (up from about 9 gigs last week, not bad going). It looks like any time the line briefly trains up with no data passed (e.g. if the PPP link didn't come up first time), it gets logged as 4 GB instead of 0 GB.

I'm pretty sure that the raw data is fine, someone has just broken the script that presents it visually. Our account stats show 4 GB figures across the whole of this month, and they were definitely okay a week or two ago. So, I expect things will go back to normal as soon as someone in Eircom spots that it's broken and fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Tenshot
    . So, I expect things will go back to normal as soon as someone in Eircom spots that it's broken and fixes it.

Yeah - when they spot it, and decide to fix it...whenever that'll be. They better not try to stick me with 7GB over the odds, I tell ya. There'll be hell to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

iv got the same thing, says iv used 5gb or so, and i know i havent

i keep a very close eye on my dl, i check every day and know theres no way i did 5gb that fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Mine was at 1192MB yesterday, and it has now shot up to a massive and unbeliveable 38.2 GB, with a projected usage of 53.8 GB !

Whats going on eircom ???

Wheeler_1028

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

If this isn't corrected my bill next month (just due to overdownloading), will be over €1000. The gloves will be coming off if they don't get this fixed by my next bill date.

Wheeler_1028.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Here's a line from mine that I like.

28 Feb 12:26:06 28 Feb 12:26:49 159.134.96.22 00:44 4096 MB 4096 MB

Basically it says I've used up 4GB in the space of a few seconds.

Your download allowance of 6000MB has been exceeded.
    Excess of 53011MB at 3 cents per MB is €1590.33
    Thank you for using eircom.net

:ninja:

I'll have to get my smoothwall monitoring again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Oops... I just looked at the month's logs more carefully and the 4 GB stuff only started on Wednesday - there was just so much of it that it takes up almost all of the screen.

So maybe it won't be so straightforward to undo after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

lads got off the fone with eircom there

they said eircom net are looking after the download monitoring and to get onto them

1800 203 204

she said the system hasnt been activated yet and reason for wayward results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 webtest01

ok, I'm sure I'll regret this, but I'm the guy
    who is working on the dsl stats website for eircom net.

I've been tied up in another project for the last little while and have just started trying to iron out the bugs in the dsl download stats.

Now, before eveyone panics, we are well aware that the stats are not even close to 100% accurate at present. These stats are used as a customer guide only and you will not be billed on them.

Particularly, I'm interested in 4GB problem, because I can't find an example of it in the few accounts that I generally test with.

Can anyone having this problem email me their dsl username to webtest01@eircom.net

Also, if you have any other examples of incorrect stats etc, they are all welcome.

Cheers

R

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by bk
    Huh, downloads and surfing are the same thing.

Surfing works by you uploading a small amount of info (HTTP Request) and then downloading the web page (html/images/sound/picture/flash, etc.). I'm sure Esat include the webpages you download in the cap. It would be quiet difficult for Esat to differentiate between normal surfing and downloading, after all you can download very large files using http (though not efficiently).

I know it sounds difficult if not impossible,.... but according to Esat themselves they dont count the downstream when surfing.. only a download... im sure there is a system where a download request can be monitored by the server.. maybe it uses a different thread than surfing or something, i dont know.. i only know what Esat said so maybe they are telling porkies to get sales!!

4gb is not enough... on average you might use 5mb a day just surfing without even downloading. a day just surfing without even downloading.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by webtest01

Hello webtest01, I'd just like to say welcome to boards.

I'm sure you won't regret it, we aren't all monsters in here :)

I'll think you will find that if you interact with us here on boards in a honest and up front manner
    and don't threat us like a "luser" (yes this is not spelt correctly, see the BOFH) you will find your time here on boards to be productive and helpful and allow you to build up understanding and satisfaction amongst your customers.

Note to everyone else, be nice, the more ISPs we can get to interact with us here on boards, the better for all. If we can prove that we won't bite off Eircom employees heads, then they might interact with us more.

Cheers,
    Brian

Originally posted by Saruman
    I know it sounds difficult if not impossible,.... but according to Esat themselves they dont count the downstream when surfing.. only a download...

Well, from a technical point of view I can think of one or two ways that you might be able to do it.
    For instance you could record the amount of data downloaded for a particular HTTP session, if the amount went over a certain limit they could then consider it to be a download and not surfing.

However this would be quiet difficult to do, it would be at a very fine grained level and would be quiet expensive to do and add lots of overhead to the system. I doubt they are doing this, more likely just sales porkies, or just a misunderstanding on the sales people part.

Brian

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by webtest01

I've been tied up in another project for the last little while and have just started trying to iron out the bugs in the dsl download stats.

jaysis.... /me needs to sit down!

Um, welcome to Boards. Thanks for identifying yourself. Any problems or anyone being uncivil to you, let me know.
    Its good to have you here!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 webtest01

Right, I won't go into too much detail, but basically the problem was this.

Radius tickets are used to generate these stats. The supposedly unique "Session-ID" in the tickets was being reapeted throughout the month for some users. This was causing some problems with the calculations.

I've put in a quck fix for the moment. It does not cater properly for reapeting session-ids, but it should ensure that 0's don't turn into 4GBs ;)

If anyone who noticed wildly inaccurate stats could check their stats again now and let me know if they are now a little more reasonable.

While I can look at all your stats, it's not all that easy for me to judge what is reasonable and what is not ;)

Cheers

R
    webtest01@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

webtest
    i hope i wont get charged for overdownloading i didnt do..
    that the site says i have!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Just thought of something.
    Are these stat inaccuracies the reason people aren't being billed for going over the limit at the moment and when all the bugs are ironed out will the charging begin?

I'm happy I have uncapped adsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Hi there.
    When I try to open http://broadbanddownload.eircom.net/ I just get a "Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server."

What gives?

I am an I-Stream Starter user.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

your ip address is part of a range that hasnt been added to the web servers acl, i'd guess.
    email your ip address to the icecream support

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

That doesn't make sense as every time I reconnect to I-Stream I get a diff IP address, albeit in the same range.
    Surely they have the range added to the ACL?
    Do they even use IP ranges in ACL's?!!

Fozz.

Originally posted by fozz
    That doesn't make sense as every time I reconnect to I-Stream I get a diff IP address, albeit in the same range.
    Surely they have the range added to the ACL?
    Do they even use IP ranges in ACL's?!!

Fozz.

If you give the ip address they will know the range that is missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

um...does this mean that we wont be charged for excessive downloading this month??

Originally posted by adjodlo
    um...does this mean that we wont be charged for excessive downloading this month??
    as r said...
    Now, before eveyone panics, we are well aware that the stats are not even close to 100% accurate at present. These stats are used as a customer guide only and you will not be billed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

When does your counter start at Zero???

Is it every thirty days, or from the start to finish of each month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

:D Just Checked my stats at eircom and all seems to be OK,

NOW if I could only get the Eircom official PPPOE software
    I would be on the pigs back ww) .

ps. anychance one of you out there could find it in your hearts to send me a copy of it :rolleyes: please, I'll pay for it :D

cranoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭narnar2000

When I check my download stats it gives 'Total Downloads to date this month' and 'Estimated total Downloads this month'... anyone know which is the real one? The latter number is about 20% higher.

And if these stats are only a guideline for the user, does that mean that the true figures could be higher? I'd really like to know what my real figures are before Eircom tries to hit me with a hefty bill...

Advertisement