Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom I-Stream download cap/limit issues

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

remember all the webpages that you "download" when u click on links im sure they count those too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by narnar2000
    When I check my download stats it gives 'Total Downloads to date this month' and 'Estimated total Downloads this month'... anyone know which is the real one? The latter number is about 20% higher.
    The first figure is how much you have downloaded for the month so far.
    The second figure is an estimate of how much you will download for the whole month based on your current usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 webtest01

I've answered these questions with the information that I have. Some of the answers are based on "educated guesses" on my part.

> When I check my download stats it gives 'Total Downloads to
    > date this month' and 'Estimated total Downloads this month'... > anyone know which is the real one? The latter number is about > 20% higher.

Total Downloads so far this month is the "real figure". The amount you have downloaded since the first of the month.

Estimated total Downloads is the projected amount you will have downloaded by the end of the month, if you continue with your current usage pattern.

example. if by Jan 10th you have downloaded 1 gig, your estimated downloads for the month of january would be about 3 gigs.

The actual calculation is quite simple

(total_downlaods_so_far_this_month / number_of_days_passed_ in_current_month) * total_number_of_days_in_current_month

> And if these stats are only a guideline for the user, does that
    > mean that the true figures could be higher? I'd really like to
    > know what my real figures are before Eircom tries to hit me
    > with a hefty bill...

Ideally the stats will be fairly accurate (within a few megs anyway). I'd imagine that a margin of error will be used when billing also. Example, if your download limit is 4Gb the might actaully only start to bill after 4.2 Gigs to allow for a 5% error in the stats. These are all just guesses on my part. Billing people in eircom will decide these details.

> um...does this mean that we wont be charged for excessive downloading this month??

I'd imagine for the moment if you are reasonably close to your download limit, you will not be billed for this month. If you are clearly abusing the service and are way over, then you may very well be billed. Reports are generated on a daily basis highlighting those users who are way over their limit. As far as I know, bills will be sent to these customers at some stage. I don't have much contact with the billing people, so I really don't know for sure.

> When does your counter start at Zero???
    > Is it every thirty days, or from the start to finish of each month?

Currently the stats are based on the calender month, starting on the first of every month. They may be brought inline with your phone bill dates in the future.

> remember all the webpages that you "download" when u click > on links im sure they count those too

The stats are based on any ip traffic that goes down your dsl line. This includes all http traffic (webpages), POP3 (checking email), kazaa, ftp, winmx and pretty much anything else you do on the internet.

> When I try to open http://broadbanddownload.eircom.net/ I
    > just get a "Forbidden
    > You don't have permission to access / on this server."

There is an access list on the website which allows only DSL IP addresses access to it. If you find you cannot access it, please email me your IP address to webtest01@eircom.net and I'll check it out. It is very possible that on or more of the IP pools have been left out of the access list.

Happy Surfing

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by webtest01

> When does your counter start at Zero???
    > Is it every thirty days, or from the start to finish of each month?

Currently the stats are based on the calender month, starting on the first of every month. They may be brought inline with your phone bill dates in the future.

That FAQ should be on the main site. Well done Webtest01, clarity is good.

The only shivery creepy bit was the bit above.......why would they be brought in line except to ..... emmm Bill?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Muck
    That FAQ should be on the main site. Well done Webtest01, clarity is good.

Here here

I only found the site because the URL was posted here. In fact I was about to contact ComReg because "control over billing through availibility of real time usage information" has been a message which ComReg and the ODTR return to on a regular basis. The site looks good, and is reasonable designed.

Please bundle it up for a FAQ and link to it from the main site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Here here

I only found the site because the URL was posted here. In fact I was about to contact ComReg because "control over billing through availibility of real time usage information" has been a message which ComReg and the ODTR return to on a regular basis. The site looks good, is reasonable designed and does the job.

Please bundle it up for a FAQ and link to it from the main site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 webtest01

Right, DSL Stats FAQ, it's now officially on my todo list.

Now's the best time to post questions if you want them answered on it.

Just remember, it's a big todo list ;)

R

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

lol @ Sauruman....

How do you think Esat keep track of whats a "download" and whats "surfing"

Would you not agree that surfing is just a load of little downloads?

Of course Esat and Eircom's caps apply to BITS TRANSFERED IN & OUT PER MONTH. Full stop....they don't discriminate.

=rez=

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by rez
    Of course Esat and Eircom's caps apply to BITS TRANSFERED IN & OUT PER MONTH. Full stop....they don't discriminate.

=rez=
    webtest01:
    The stats are based on any ip traffic that goes down your dsl line. This includes all http traffic (webpages), POP3 (checking email), kazaa, ftp, winmx and pretty much anything else you do on the internet.

I assume this means that your stats only take into account traffic destined for the customer, not traffic sent from the customer?

I'm interested in this myself, though I am not an i-stream subscriber (nor will I ever be if the service remains as restricive as it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I assume this means that your stats only take into account traffic destined for the customer, not traffic sent from the customer?

You're only charged for downloaded traffic (if you go over the cap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

oops justr checked my stats for the month of may so far...ive had it for 4 months and after downloading nothing for the first three months i went waaaayyy overboard for this month.

Please forgive me Eircom....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    You're only charged for downloaded traffic (if you go over the cap).

well then why bother with a cap at all if they're not going to charge you for traffic you generate (which will still cost them money)???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

This is just to show the futility of getting capped broadband if your a downloader. I'm on 56k, and as i'm with NTL i get completely free dialup at weekends only. Heres what i pull down every month:

download.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

in my opinion capping is necessary, to stop the leechers. BUT, 3 gigs is a joke. People who get broadband get it to download files fast as well as browse faster. If it has to be capped maybe an 8 gig limit should be used. And as for chargin extra if you go over this limit, that should be stopped. Instead what should be done is limit that persons speed to 128k or even lower, depending on their record. (e.g. if they are consatant;y leeching 24/7 non-stop limit them to 56k speeds.)

thats my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I still think 20-30gigs is the perfect amount and if I wouldn't move to a capped service if it had any less.
    It's an incredibly stupid cap though, Nildram give you more in one day (5gbs) than Eircom give you in a whole sodding month! (4gbs). Thank god I'm on Netsource too.

Advertisement