Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack White tells Virgin to ...

Options
  • 22-05-2003 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

F**k off

This is a classic. You cannot fail to respect the integrity of being compromised/utilised/USED.

http://www.whitestripes.com/message.html

Didnt feargal Sharkey do something similar for Noel Edmonds.....obviously why he was miming I guess

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Fergal sharkey did something simmilar but as far as I remember the signal cut out or something altough I could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

How much was there record deal again? and they are worried about being called sellouts,i hate that word,its like a boundry all cool people must stick to,its so ironic that facism more or less took away free speach in germany in the forties but if you say those magical words you could end up in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think the deal was $10m for 3 albums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Whoa there.

They signed with XL a 3 album deal in 2001. I dont think it was for 10million USD bearing in mind they are the same label that signed Prodigy when they were underground..so to speak. The album also cost £10k to make in total. As in 10 thousand pounds. A number one selling album for 10 grand....not bad

Feargal was miming and the sound cut out and he was still 'singing' as Britney would say..looked a total tit i remember.

Oh yeah

They turned down GAP ads for $1m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Well have a big label deal does not necessarily mean they are selling out don't compromise their music and it allows them to reach more people. But nobody does ads like that for anything but the money whcihc would undermine them as serious musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Originally posted by Saint-dotsie
    How much was there record deal again? and they are worried about being called sellouts,i hate that word,its like a boundry all cool people must stick to,its so ironic that facism more or less took away free speach in germany in the forties but if you say those magical words you could end up in jail.

There is a difference in being well paid for utilizing the skills that you have and using your image and popularity to hawk products to kids that they don't need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Daylight

Far as I know the deal was for £1 million which included the new album as well the previous 3. Plus a label for Jack to release his fav bands. Not bad for a band that records albums for £10,000 and under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Poor Jack.... my arse...
    I don't buy it. Looks like the band and their management are playing silly buggers and trying to leverage someone in Virgin - now they're successful they're probably looking to renegotiate their contract. All perfectly admirable but I wish they wouldn't try to sell it as maintaining their integrity. It's not art, it's commerce. Get over it Jack !
    Whatever the "deal" was worth it's only a loan from the label, they have mortgaged their recordings and songs and are starting to find out what happens when you get into bed with those fvkers...you get fvcked in the ass. But purlease !!! don't try to tell the kids you're fighting with and dictating to "the man".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i didn't get the feeling his message was sincere. hope no ones comes jumpin down my throat on it, i'm just saying the impression i got, not saying its true or whatever.

• Advertisement

Far as I know the deal was for £1 million which included the new album as well the previous 3. Plus a label for Jack to release his fav bands. Not bad for a band that records albums for £10,000 and under.

Someone talks sense at last

I think he just wants to play his music and be different, not as if hes making a point of being different ujst because he is different.
    They dont want to do interviews, promotional stuff like most bands do. They just want to record,play and have their own life, which agreeably will be a damn site more comfortable than you or I but thats only because of the number of discs sold.

The UK tour was only about 5 dates and ticket prices were about 15 quid with at least 2 supports.

Not exactly takin the pish is it.

I dont think he ever sounds sincere without sounding a bit potty...cos he is I admit but aint never gonna meet him so I can say that.

Just keep the tunes coming in red, white and black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Fair play to him!

Virgin were even bullying DJs not to preview elephant before its release to fight pirates. This is laughable considering the entire album was already available to D/L weeks before it's release date.

Amazingly one of the guys they were getting heavey with was John Peel of all people - despite that fact that he is on v.good terms with JW AND pretty much broke the band in the UK two years ago. JP sounds like a grumpy old fart at the best of times but you could tell that he was REALLY pissed off with this treatment.

It warms my heart when a big act tells the majors where to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

sorry fair play to the stripes for making such a statement but i wasnt criticising them i was just saying "its an awful state of affairs when a band have to put a press release out stating that "we are not selouts"(which was the basic message)".

i would buy an albumn by any band regardless there sellout status with the exception of metallica they make me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Yeah what the hell happened to Metallica there was a time when they were a genuine rock band?Biggest money grabbing S**ts around now I think.

Having said that there always comes a time when a band gets so big that people automatically think they are sell outs.Fair play to the likes of Radiohead etc who seem to be able to keep their feet on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Metallica annoy the **** outta me!!! seriously what is up with them, did ya see the MTV Icon thing last week, Avril Lavigne massacring one of their songs, Linkin Park doing similar, and those turds sitting on this stage in the centre in clothes even David Beckham would consider a tad "fruity"

Also that pneumatic dwarf Ulrich is the worst sell out of them all, his stance on Napster/Kazaa just confirms his view of the world, He's a multi-millionaire, and he's goin to court for a few extra quid

his argument is fundamentally flawed also, i reckon more music is bought now because of Kazaa. I for one have discovered so many artists because of Kazaa.

rant over. for now.

Advertisement