Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do i get at the speaker cables...

Options
  • 22-05-2003 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

How or where do i get at the speaker cables on my 97 Fiesta LX. Just bought it and its playing off one speaker only - and its more or less busted. Want to get the back and drivers side speakers working.

How do i do this.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im a bit confused----Speaker cables??????/The cables in the doors are got at by removing the door trim and likewise in the back quarter panel you remove the trim also.
    The speakers used to give terrible problems in that year Fiesta---Usually where the door closes there is like a rubber boot.It used to get corroded and then the cables got caught in the door hinges and broke.
    Id change them altogether for a set of PIONEERS or something.You could also try the connection at the back of the radio----It could have come loose or have a broken wire.There are 2 block connectors(assuming its an original ford unit)One is power etc and the other is speakers.

Hope this helps
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

You will find the wires in the kick panel - both sides and to make sure about the colours, take the radio out and check it out. As far as I remember they shoulb be brown/yellow & brown/white - not sure (it's a long time I got my hands on one of those.

At the back of the radio you have two block connectors - one with four wires (speakers) - all the same thickness, and one for the power supply - very thick wires.
    Make sure you don't disconect the power supply if the radio is coded as you have to go to the Ford dealer to get it back to normal - and they don't do it for free.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

As has been said already, you should probably check the connections first - remove the radio and check the speaker connector at the back - it'll 4 (for a 2 speaker system) or 8 (for a 4 speaker system) wires coming out of it. Make sure that everything is ok with that first. By the sounds of it, you have a 4 speaker system, so there should be 8 wires on it. The other connector has 7 wires, for power, lights, etc.

Make sure you have the keycode for your radio handy in case you do pull out the power connector. If you don't, it's a trip to the dealer to get the code, which could take a few days.

The connection to the speakers is a 2-pin plug, and you'll need to get at the back of the speaker to have a look at it. If the speakers are mounted in the door panel, you'll possibly need to remove the panel to get at them. If the rear speakers are mounted on the parcel shelf, then you should be able to get at the connection from inside the boot. Make sure all connections are snug anyway.

Next thing to check is that there's electrical continuity along all the wires. Ideally, you'll need to get your hands on a multimeter somewhere (bout €15-€20 in Argos I think). Go through each wire, and check for continuity between the radio end and the speaker end. It may be handier to remvove the radio entirely for this (make sure you have your keycode first though). Every wire has it's own colour code, so that will tell you which is which. Each pair on the 8-wire block at the radio end is one speaker (I've an idea first 2 pairs from the top are front, and second 2 pairs are rear, but I'm not certain).

If you find that there's a dodgy connection somewhere, you'll probably need to replace the wire, which could be a big enough job.

I reckon it'd be worth your while picking up the Haynes manual for the car while you're at it - it'll give you full instructions for getting at stuff without breaking other stuff.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Advertisement