Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i assign domain to hosted site?

Options
  • 22-05-2003 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Booked a .ie domain through ieinternet.com - have a site hosted with www.brinkster.com - want to assign the domain to the site. New to all this web biz so was wondering if one of you seasoned pros could put me straight. Emailed ieinternet but they dont seem to be too keen to respond:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

You will have to ask your host for their name servers more than likly

NS1
    NS2

then you will have to make sure you host makes a space and hosts your .ie

then mail ieinternet and give them the new name servers.

It should be done tomorrow the IEDR will pick up ure name servers at about 5 pm to 7 pm.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks Tom. This is exactly the info i was looking for.

Your welcome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Make sure that brinkster have entries in their nameservers for your domain name.

The IEDR have an autocheck system to make sure the new nameservers contain entries for your domain, but this is an "Irish" thing as most registries don't do this and it sometimes causes problems with foreign websites.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Please keep us updated on this one, as IEInternet have been known to cause problems in the past.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads-up misterq & Blacknight. Pulled up the previous threads relating to ieinternet and see the potential for trouble:ninja:

Well, i get the feeling that your scepticism over ieinternet are confirmed Blacknight - or at least something strange is going on.

I got this reply from IEInternet (trying to push me into a hosting package when i clearly told them i already had one...) to my specific request as to how i would transfer the domain name:

Many thanks for your email. In order to activate the domain name and have it functional for website and email functionality, the account will have to be upgraded or hosted. This is IE Internet's core business and we provide such applications as comprehensive Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam (junk email) email screening free of charge with every account.

Pat, I have included the specifications and pricing of our entry-level Business Hosting Plan for your interest. Please send through the confirmation order online at http://www.ieinternet.com/order/ and we shall configure the account immediately.

Having decided that the deal with Brinkster wasnt the best, i found an hosting package with an irish co. that suited. Then contacted IEdr directly to get the domain transferred (wanted to cut out any potential for trouble by not dealing with IEInternet) - only to be told that they have no record of the domain name being registered! I have a printoff of the order form from last November when the domain was booked for 50+VAT.
    What the hell is going on?

Want to check with you guys before proceeding cos i want the minimum hassle with this as poss.

Whatya think?

Step 1.

Go to IEDR website and do a search for the domain. This will prove whether it has been registered or not

Step 2

Let us know :D

Step 3

Get legal advice

Step 4

Let us know outcome

I would, in any case, write to the press about this, as those who conduct business need to be outed, and we in the industry can do little about it, as it would appear to be 'bitchy' of us.

Searched the iedr site for registered domain names and my domain name came up as not registered:

The domain "******.ie" is not currently registered in the IE zone.

This search facility does not include registration or modification requests that have not been processed, accepted and announced. If a recent request has been accepted but not yet announced, please check the list of Stalled Requests. An alphabetical list of registered domain names is also available.

Checked the 'stalled Requests' list and its not in there either.

Theres a lot of **** that has to change in this imperfect country of ours:rolleyes: :mad:

<I would, in any case, write to the press about this, as those who conduct business need to be outed, and we in the industry can do little about it, as it would appear to be 'bitchy' of us./>

Who do you suggest i should write to Blacknight cos i'm pissed off now and motivated to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Thats about as bad as you can get.

Before we burn IEInternet at the stake, maybe you should here what they have to say on the matter.

I know from experience that some .IE registrations can be held up waiting for documents etc.
    If the delay gets excessive, we normally contact the client to make sure they are still alive etc, and refund if we can't make contact.

It's possible that this might be the case (though 6/7 months is a long time).

Like I said, be interesting to hear what they have to say.
    Personally, I got a bad impression from them when I saw them offering ".eu pre-registration".
    But thats a tangent.

Also, since the IEDR list them on their "Accredited Resellers" web page, they might be interested to hear about this.

Ronan

We register .ie's on a regular basis. There have never been any delays and if there were we would have been informed.

You could inform the IEDR and maybe comreg.
    I'm sure some of the technical journalists would love to hear about this kind of carry on...
    Maybe the consumer rights crowd...

awaiting their response...will update as soon as i hear from them.

Originally posted by misterq

Before we burn IEInternet at the stake, maybe you should here what they have to say on the matter.
    The last time we had to deal with them it took the best part of three months to move a .com
    They refused the transfer and denied that they had done so.

Originally posted by blacknight
    The last time we had to deal with them it took the best part of three months to move a .com
    They refused the transfer and denied that they had done so.

Now Mr Night did you ask them nicely :D

Originally posted by tom-thebox
    Now Mr Night did you ask them nicely :D

Of course... just very firmly after the first few attempts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Searched the iedr site for registered domain names and my domain name came up as not registered:

The domain "******.ie" is not currently registered in the IE zone.

This search facility does not include registration or modification requests that have not been processed, accepted and announced. If a recent request has been accepted but not yet announced, please check the list of Stalled Requests. An alphabetical list of registered domain names is also available.

Checked the 'stalled Requests' list and its not in there either.

Theres a lot of **** that has to change in this imperfect country of ours:rolleyes: :mad:

Thats Fraud,go to your solictor get them to send over a nasty legal letter and take it from there,once you have the print out of payment you are totally in the right,also include a copy of the print out with the legal letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by misterq
    Thats about as bad as you can get.

I agree with misterq on this. IEDR's website is currently not being updated. The daily updated alphanumeric lists are gone. (The IEDR's excuse is that they facilitate spam.) The weekly modifications list is dated 23/05/2003. The stalled list seems dynamic but I don't know if it is reading from a live database. Do some more digging and contact IEDR and see if the domain paperwork was submitted.

Regards...jmcc

OK folks. I finally got to the bottom of this one. Apparently Ieinternet never debited a credit card a/c for payment...so i wont be too harsh on them.

Their email response was courteous. They claim that the support documents necessary for a dot ie registration were requested but never received (i wasnt involved initially but the person who was is sure that he sent them..).

They did point out that they handle multiple domain registrations daily...whilst i appreciate this & the fact that a company can only afford to spend a certain amount of time on an individual registration to the value of €50-60, its a poor business model that does not facilitate informing the customer that the domain has not been registered.

So, im not burning them at the stake, but between this and the general consensus here, i will register the domain name somewhere else.

Advertisement