Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap food / groceries

• 22-05-2003 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,452 ✭✭✭✭

• Plan your shopping as best you can. Make a list. Try not to shop when you are hungry.
    • Shop around, even if it is between your local Spar / Centra compared to your local supermarket.
    • Compare total prices and price/unit. In addition, you are unlikely to use that 5-litre bottle of vegetable oil before it expires.
    • Prices for convenience items (chocolate, biscuits) can vary by up to 100% from shop to shop and brand to brand.
    • Prices for staples (bread, milk, vegetables) can vary, but generally not a lot. While bread is an individual taste, different types of bread can vary from €0.85 to €1.50. If you are buying for one, make sure you can get 3-4 days before the best before date.
    • Fresh sandwiches are generally cheaper (and fresher and better variety) than pre-packed sandwiches.
    • Many (but definitely not all) own brand (St. Bernard / KVI, etc.) products are as good if not better than branded goods. Often the same manufacturer produces them.
    • Many supermarkets (Dunnes Stores certainly) delicatessens have 30-50% off in the half hour before closing.
    • If you are overcharged at the check-out, many larger supermarkets have a "no quibble" policy and will refund the complete price of that item (free food!).
    • Beware of offers like:
      [align=center]"Buy one get second
      half price" [/align]

You are actually paying 75% of the nominal price, not 50%.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

How about shopping in the likes of Aldi or Lidl for detergents etc.
    Then going to the likes of Superquinn for your nice fresh food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,452 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Humphrey
    How about shopping in the likes of Aldi or Lidl for detergents etc.
    Actually I found Aldi to be no cheaper than Tesco for detergents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Actually, I was hoping this thread to develop into what you were saying e.g. Dunnes are advertising bread at something like €0.45 this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

Lés Rules
    3. Specials of the day or Week are not permitted.

I don't really like this idea for the forum. What about for example scan.co.uk special fo the day and aldi special of the week.

It is very restrictive if these types of bargains aren't allowed and some of the best bargains are these types of bargains.

Are they not worth mentioning!!

Humphrey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bella

Since I am newbie in Ireland I would appreciate if someone can tell me where Lidl is (Dublin North)? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Theres a Lidl in Baldoyle beside the Racecourse Inn ....

Originally posted by bella
    Since I am newbie in Ireland I would appreciate if someone can tell me where Lidl is (Dublin North)? Thanks.
    Do a search (top right, under the banner ad.) on the word "Lidl". Lots of people have asked the same question before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    Actually, I was hoping this thread to develop into what you were saying e.g. Dunnes are advertising bread at something like €0.45 this week.
    Dunnes are selling 2for1 on Entenmann's chocolate fudge cake this week:D
    (I like it, 2@2.01 each is nice)
    Originally posted by bella
    There's an Aldi (I think) on Parnell Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That chocolate fudge cake is like goo.
    Take a bite and your jaw gets stuck, you cant open your mouth.
    Pretty nice though, but I'm sure if you ate two a heart attack wouldn't be too far away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bella

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I'm sure if you ate two a heart attack wouldn't be too far away. :)
    Well, we'll see then, won't we smartypants:D

Very nice with proper strawberry ice-cream btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement