Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Member Database System +Stats

Options
  • 22-05-2003 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good free website system or code that offers something along these lines...

Basically a Member-base with definable fields that can only be updated by an admin and a user interface to do this aswell as other updatable pages from the net like news page, links etc'

Something like PHP Nuke only more simple, and ability to create more fields for members.

Something along the lines of competitions, like someone v someone and then the results of these, automated.

For examle would be using it as part of a golf website which would include a members profile and has an easy form to add new ones or to update bits of them such as handicaps thigns like that.

I know you'd be best designing and creating your own but i'm only really starting to learn php and haven't even done much on mysql. It does seem to take some time! I have used PHP Nuke, phpbb2 and a few other php systems that i've just hacked to bits and feel comfortable with that.

Any helpful ideas or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
    Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I reckon you best bet is to sit down and decide on what exactly you want from the system. Talk to others who'll be using it. Then decide on the interface. Design your database and code the php. It'll probably take you less time than butchering someone elses code to fit the job, and at the end you can take what you have and sell it to other golf-courses. Or release the code free under GNU or some other license, and just charge people for setting it up for them. It'll also mean you have a much better understanding of the code and can make changes/additions much more easily.

I'd reckon you're looking at not much more than a days work based on the description you gave. That includes all design, html templating, coding etc.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i wouldn't know where to start and not sure about the security of it all.

I am learning it but very very slowly.

[edit]

actually decided to go through these content managment tutorials link and work towards something, i tend to lose interest just doing bits and bobs learning it from the ground up. I'm impatient about it all.

[/edit]

Cheers,
    Gid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    I'd reckon you're looking at not much more than a days work based on the description you gave. That includes all design, html templating, coding etc.
    Hmmm... If I’m off the mark here please tell me:
    1. A basic CMS for editorial content.
    2. A members database with both user and admin interfaces and (correct me if I’m wrong) the facility for custom fields in the schema.
    3. A leader board for automatically tracking match results and members in any ongoing competition - and associated interface.
    4. Deployment, testing and documentation.
    All in one day. Indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

thats the one alright. ya gonna take ages just to learn the stuff to be honest once the back end is done i usually fly with the design.

Was kinda looking for a really good cms for reference and examples etc' to improve my very basic one.

Thx,
    Gid.

Advertisement