Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Voyager adsl modem

Options
  • 22-05-2003 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

a friend of mine recently returned from the uk and gave me a BT voyager usb adsl modem.i'm wondering if it would be compatible with the current RADSL services on offer and if so would i have to change settings etc.?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

It has the potential to work. (what a weak statement)

But you will have to reconfigure it, as in the UK they typically use PPPoA, radsl here is using PPPoE, as the protocol for passing the data on the line. Have you got a manual?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by jackbauer
    Hi all,

a friend of mine recently returned from the uk and gave me a BT voyager usb adsl modem.i'm wondering if it would be compatible with the current RADSL services on offer and if so would i have to change settings etc.?

thanks in advance.

I don't believe so, as far as I know, BT use PPPoA, while Eircoms RADSL uses PPPoE.

However I may be wrong on this, the modem may support both standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

if its the bt voyager modem itself then what BK says is right it only sipports pppoa

But if its the new bt voyager 100 modem it supports both standards, but there notorious little buggers to get going and to keep going, they have a penchant for losing the drivers when switched off

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

i dont have a manual for it unfortunatly.how would i tell if it is the voyager 100?

thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BT Voyager has 2 lights, Power and Link

BT Voyager 100 modem has 3 lights, Power, Data and DSL

also the 100 modem looks like it belongs to the Borg or something :p

Make sure you download the new drivers for which ever one you have, ALSO if your running WinXP you need to Service Pack 1 to use the BT Voyager 100 Modem.
    Otherwise it could hang when connecting/on-line..

Any other question's just ask
    :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cabaal
    BT Voyager has 2 lights, Power and Link

BT Voyager 100 modem has 3 lights, Power, Data and DSL

also the 100 modem looks like it belongs to the Borg or something :p

Make sure you download the new drivers for which ever one you have, ALSO if your running WinXP you need to Service Pack 1 to use the BT Voyager 100 Modem.
    Otherwise it could hang when connecting/on-line..

Any other question's just ask

yep te abovr is correct and the 100 is a small dinky modem where as the normal bt voyager is a dark black colour

regards
    shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Of course its correct,
    I gota work with the bloody things every day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

ok looks like i have the plain bt voyager then.damn. i was hoping i could save the cost of a modem with that.no way to make it work with pppoe?

thanks

Of course its correct,
    I gota work with the bloody things every day :p

you didnt dye your hair black the other day did you lol

Regards

Shin

Originally posted by shinzon
    you didnt dye your hair black the other day did you lol

Nope thats not me, but I know who your reffering to.
    Oh and he says its a Star btw :D

• Advertisement

Nope thats not me, but I know who your reffering to.
    Oh and he says its a Star btw :D

LOL :)

Advertisement