Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky digital on pc

• 23-05-2003 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have run a coax cable from my digi box to my pc so I can get sky digital. I do recieve a picture although not very clear and I can use sky remote to change channels but I can only get mono sound and not stereo also I have ntl which I connect via a splitterwhich means that I can no longer change channels
    Can anyone help with these problems
    Cheers
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What are you using on the PC to get the signal in?

Note that RF out on VHS, Digibox, DVD etc is NEVER EVER Stereo, only the direct SCART or Phono/RCA have stereo.

I get the "clear" or FTA channels of Sky directon PC witha Satellite Receiver. This gives better than Digibox quality and can feed aTV direct too.

Analog input for Web cams tends to be poor quality.

"WinTV" type cards with RF in don't give as good a picture as a £99 TV set for various reasons. One is interlace.

I can't help further unless:
    MAke & Model & Type of card on PC to get Digibox signal in?
    Software used with card (often 3rd party SW is better)?
    Which version Windows (win3.x, WFWG3.11, 95 original, ;later 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT4.0, Win2000, XPhome, XP Pro, XP Media Centre etc)
    CPU type and speed (Pentium 166, PII 266, AMDK6-3D 330, Celeron Slot, Celeron PGA, P4, Athalon etc)

RAM MByte (Typically 16M to 512M)

Graphics card make, model & RAM and PCI, AGP or "Integrated".

Hard Disk size and Hard Disk free space (Usually in GByte, 1GByte = 1000MByte or 1024MByte)
    Is coax from RF out or video from SCART?

If using RF make sure a TV card is set to PAL I rather than PAL anything else or no or bad sound).
    Make sure PAL not NTSC or SECAM. or Mono picture.

YOu only get Stereo via TV card if you have one with a Nicam Decoder (lots havn't), AND the signal has Nicam (mostly only OFF AIR TV via aerial, but a very few ANALOG cable systems have Nicam mostly by accident, due to how the "off air" aerial signal is fed into the cable system.

Digital Cable, Digibox, Digital MMDS will NOT have Nicam at all, ever, nor stereo on the RF out, the stereo is decoded from the digital data and onmly output on the SCART or RCA/Phono as a NICAM "coder" is not fitted in any consumer electronics ever (too expensive), Only Nicam decoders and Nicam decoders are only in TV analog tuners.

A VHS doesn't record Nicam. It records two FM audio signals on tape, so Nicam is not used on playback, only in the analog tuner to receive.

Advertisement