Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie upstream heavy?

Options
  • 23-05-2003 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

This is more an observation/query than a complaint, cos it normally wouldn't affect me.

But boards.ie seems to request/receive about 3 times the amount of information from clients than clients actually request/receive from boards.ie. See the attached pic. That's the result of almost an hour on dialup surfing purely boards.ie (except for a 1.15MB download of mIRC). For anyone non-dialup, this is irrelevant, but poor 56Kers have limited bandwidth, and this seems to be a bit of a strain.....

Or am I being pesky? :)

Atm, I've been on boards for 17 mins and my download is at 400KB, but my upload is at 1.7MB :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Any chance you could convert that image to gif/jpeg/png ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Thanks PiE.

Seamus, that doesn't seem like a good way to get accurate bandwidth measurements for one site to me. irc or something else you're not even aware of could be nicking lots of your bandwidth ...

(don't get me wrong, I think there is lots of room for improvement in our bandwidth usage, I'd just prefer see some more granular measurement than that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

More granular!

For all we know you lot could be infected with spyware.

I'll try to see if I can set up a bandwidth measure solely for boards traffic on my machine.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

urk?? what the hell would we possibly be taking from the client?

oh yeah all those credit card numbers ... doh!

Seriously though, I cant imagine what that traffic could be...

DeV.

Advertisement