Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Release dates please!

Options
  • 23-05-2003 9:55am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone do me a big favour and post up the games that our out today on all systems before 3pm. I can't get them because I'm in work and Eurogamer and the other games sites are blocked in work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

According to GameFAQS :

PC
    Ghost Master
    Rise of Nations
    Sims, The: Superstar

PS2
    Def Jam Vendetta
    Fighting Fury
    Silent Hill 3

X-Box
    Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
    Speed Kings
    Yager

GBA
    GT Advance 3: Pro Concept Racing
    Wario Ware Inc: Mega Microgames

GameCube
    BloodRayne
    Ikaruga
    Skies of Arcadia Legends

- Dave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes Ikaruga is finally out. Time to test the old school reflexes and slag off Praetorian for his lack of them.

Me gives you lots of cyber hugs and kisses TmB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 BOP

has anyone played Skies of Arcadia. Im interested in it but am put off by reviews giving out about the boring random ship battles. Any opinion?

Cant wait for Ikaruga. my fav game of all time was a vertical shooter called twin cobra in the arcades, anyone remember that?
    I'm sure Ikaruga is a completely different buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Played (and finished) Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast. I thought it was a great game. Long (about 50 hours) to complete, apparently the GC version has extra characters and side-quests to complete.

The random battles in the DC version verged on the ridiculous on some occasions. However a saddo like me likes turn based combat, so I didn't mind at all. It certainly helps you to level up.

The GC version was meant to have fixed this but I have read that the random battles are still fairly prevalent. Same as the FF series. The best RPG for non-random battles in my experience is the Grandia series where you can choose to avoid battles if you want.

Good game though!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Feck it. I'm trying to save money for america and I'm going to have to buy Ikaruga and skies of arcadia this week. Thank god I know someone who works in Konami or I'd be buying Silent Hill 3 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Planetside is also out for the PC today I was told by someone in game.

All I can say is F*ck Smyths at Airside Swords. The attendant when asked if Ikaruga was out told me it wasn't and never heard of it. I feckin believed him and went home instead of to Dublin. Now I'm at home Ikaruga-less pissed off and can't get it til Sunday because of a f*ckin sh*te wedding tomorrow. I don't deserve this especially since I'm a huge Treasure fan.

Have you checked if it is out anywhere else, Retro?

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Bring it over tonight then you muppet. I'll play with my eyes closed and with one hand, MAYBE you'll keep up with me :p

I can't really check if its anywhere else cos I work in Swords. Going to buy it in game tommorrow. (I'm drunk and hate Smyths cos of it)\

• Advertisement

Retr0: Smyths don't seem to have it, but its in Game for €50. If you have a Game reward card, bring it along. It'll knock the price down to €45. I got a lecture from the guy in Game about how they don't make games like this any more. :D

Great game, but fluppin' HARD! It takes more concentration than the usual treasure game because of the whole polarity thing..... bloody cool game, though :)

- Dave.

I just love it, love it, love it. It's great!

You should have seen Prae try to play it. Never heard him say Jasus more times. He kept stealing my credits and then killing me by sending a ton of bullets my way because he killed something in the wrong colour. Prae imagine Scot playing it, 'Jasus! bullets flying everywhere!'

Hmm... I can see how 2 player games could be fun :)

Need lots of practice.. I still can't get by Lev. 3!

- Dave.

Well I've only reached the 2nd level boss but then again I only played it for about two hours.

Mr Retrogamer,

Don't forget. Praetorian got further than you twice, (2 player). Now, don't be blaming me for your crap flying / shooting / changing color skills.

I've just realised that your not naturally good at these games as I had previously thought, you just play them a lot :p

Regards

Praetorian (clearly superior gamer)

p.s. Your not going to get away with saying, "you black bastards" in America.

p.s. Your not going to get away with saying, "you black bastards" in America

Yes I better not start playing Ikaruga in a arcade in America. You only got further because you used up both of our 2 credits meaning u had 9 lives and I had 3.

I'm not the one that died twice in 5 seconds.

Someday, I've to show you the private message facility ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gimmy a review of this game retr0 i know nothing about it but i seem to share a similar taste in games as yourself...and after all your ranting abou this game...

Basically its a vertical scrolling shmup with a twist. You can change your shi from white to black and when your white you absorb white bullets and vice versa. This makes the game quite different. The game is bastard hard and trying to survive is difficult. whoever surviving is only the start of the game. The fun part is in mastering it. You can get combos from destroying 3 ships of the same colour in a row and these can be linked for huge score multipliers. The game is a little short but the difficulty and the multipliers will keep you playing long after you finished it. Being able to post your score on the net is a major plus point as well as the inclusion of the prototype game that can be unlocked. If you have played any of Treasures past games you will know how good the team is. If you liked Radiant Silvergun, Salamander, Axelay or the Gradius games then you should defo get it. And it's a tenner cheaper than most new games. If your a shooter, retro or arcade games fan then get this game. If you aren't then try it and give it more than an hour. You will love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

I have been playing Ikaruga since I got it from the US and yes, it is bitch hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

I reckon that you need to play it for about 10 years to get really good at it. Apparently, the top score for Western players is about one tenth of the highest scoring Japanese player. I expect that this guy lives in tent next to the arcade & makes a living by trouncing all comers.

I read somewhere that the best Jap player spent 400 hours at the game before he mastered it. He also says that his score can be improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Having owned the game for 2 days, my best score is 2 million points. The highest possible score is 35 million. I feel small.

I can't even get past the 3rd level boss, although I am playing on normal mode with the arcade settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Retr0 how would you feel about doing some sorta swap or trade when your finished it so i can try it :D ? gwan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There's another brilliant shmup coming out next week called Psyvariar. Empire are releasing it on its Xplosiv budget range for PS2. It's a wonder the game ever got secured for release outside of Japan, the fact that its platinum price is a big bonus.

Sorry Tusky it isn't about finishing it but mastering it. Its a great pick up and play game and has replaced GTA for me. I could give you a lend for a while but I want it back. Especially since some cock sucker stole my other fav treasure game Gunstar Heroes.

Advertisement