Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free content management systems

Options
  • 23-05-2003 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any really good, industry standard conetent management systems?

There is http://ez.no/ - but its fairly expensive if you want to customise it.

Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Gallery is free its pretty good too for images. I host a bit of stuff for the creator hes a nice guy.

gallery.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

It looks good but Im looking for something that gives a lot more control.

A complete content mamagenet system. Something that I can cost effectively install for SME's that dont want to pay for something like Vignette... www.vignette.com

Something similar to http://ez.no/ would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Hi,

I'm launching a new product shortly called Easy Site Manager. This is a full content management system for brochure websites with fully customisable template, admin control panel, mailing list manager, wysiwyg html editor, site statistics, image upload and more.

Easy Site Manager should be launched in the next week and is only EUR 200 per licence with volume discounts available.

A sample of the one of the sites we used it on is:
    www.equityconference.net

Keep an eye on www.dynamic.ie and if you want I will email you when it's launched. Let me know!

Regards,

Dave

great to hear a respoinse from my competitors!!! LOL

No seriuosly thats cool - have you any examples of the backend etc?

I looked at that site and I can see its built with asp - Are you planning on developing search eninge friendly url's into the package or are you staying with ?id=2 etc, if you know what i mean?
    Thanks

I wouldn't really say competitor... a lot of our customers are other web development companies and that who these products are aimed at.

We are putting some finishing touches onto the system and upgrading a few features so the demo will be ready in a few days. The system also supports unlimited categories and pages so you can add pages of individual services under a main services page, for example.

Have not had any problems with search engines picking up the querystring on the urls but we are looking at putting a feature in the admin that, when run, will create html files of the content in the database and save them into a 'html' particular directory. These files will be linked to then, from a spacer on the home page and will refresh to the actual live database version if someone gets to them from a search engine.

• Advertisement

Have not had any problems with search engines picking up the querystring on the urls but we are looking at putting a feature in the admin that, when run, will create html files of the content in the database and save them into a 'html' particular directory.

Yeah, you wont have problems with google, but inktomi etc can't handle query strings yet.

It wouldnt be diffuclt to build in something liThese files will be linked to then, from a spacer on the home page and will refresh to the actual live database version if someone gets to them from a search engine.Well for version 1.00000000000001 will you think of building in http://www.equityconference.net/p/3. Its not that difficult a job to do from a programming point of view and it would be a lot more attractive to companies like mine.

These files will be linked to then, from a spacer on the home page and will refresh to the actual live database version if someone gets to them from a search engine.

Be careful with this!!! Your sites could potentially get done for spamming the search engines. This is basically glorified cloaking!

just a warning!

Thanks for the heads up. As I said, we are looking at putting the feature in so we are keeping our options open.

I'll send you a mail when the demo is complete. If you have any questions, give me a shout.

Cheeurs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Ask DeVore.

He'll want to sell you this. See, his life isn't solely dedicated to administrating this site.

Not free, but not terribly expensive either.
    Don't go looking for an unbiased opinion from me though, I wrote some of it.

excellent!

i await you mail!

DeVore - where art thou?

Im sure he'll reply when he sees the post!

Do you have an idea on cost or where i can see a demo?

• Advertisement

And the competition swoops in....... LOL!!

Originally posted by tomED
    Do you have an idea on cost or where i can see a demo?
    Emigrant Online and William Fry are examples of public sites created with it. Anything beyond that you'll have to wait for DeVore to get back to you, I very much try to concentrate just on the tech.

Originally posted by dynamic.ie
    And the competition swoops in....... LOL!!
    We didn't swoop, we were here already :)

Seriously we're in a position were we could bombard this place with self-promotion or add a loophole to the signature rules that allow us to put adverts in our signatures. If anything I think we have less of a tendency towards self-promotion than most here because we wouldn't like to see boards get damaged because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Postnuke, phpnuke and geeklog are the most popular ones. Beware though, the nuke ones are pretty sluggish (not sure if they're more sluggish than the norm though). They're are also loads of less popular freebie cms out there.

I was only joking mate. You shouldn't take it so seriously.

Boards is cool for not filling it full of self promotion and I praise them for it.

No offence intended...

Cheeurs..

Dave

Postnuke, phpnuke and geeklog are the most popular ones. Beware though, the nuke ones are pretty sluggish (not sure if they're more sluggish than the norm though). They're are also loads of less popular freebie cms out there.

Yeah I found a lot of these, i guess what im really looking for is someone who can vouch for a good system. One that works and arent crap basically.

thanks for the help though!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by dynamic.ie
    Boards is cool for not filling it full of self promotion and I praise them for it.

Says the man with his website url as his name and an ad in his sig.....

;)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Spin solutions sell a product which is currently being used in the corporate world. Its not dirt cheap but its nowhere near the cost of the bigger systems out there. We've a number of happy customers including the big boys (European Space Agency) and the 2 man teams...(www.innovation-partners.com)

Mail me if you are interested in buying a solution rather then rolling your own.

DeV.

DeVore - I was talking about the owners and runners of boards not constantly self promoting themselves, which they easily could do.

I wouldn't have had to set my web address as my username if I had gotten a reply to a mail I sent to adverts@boards.ie (which I got here)regarding paying for advertising on boards!!!

Cheeurs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

don't know anything about content management but had the register in one browser and boards in another when I noticed this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/30838.htmlhttp://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/30838.html

• Advertisement

I'm testing that now, all mails sent to us regarding advertising are replied to within minutes usually.

mail me at tomATspinDOTie and I'll make sure it gets to you.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by DeVore

tomATspinDOTie

he he i see you offer elite spam prevention too Devy. :D

Ever since ROT13 was cracked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Dynamic.ie man did u make them logos in MS Image Composer :D Just wondering cause i made that exact effect on a site called xp-users.com - it has died now hehe

./Webmonkey

Webmonkey > I persume you mean our company logo. It was designed in Illustrator and effects added in Photoshop.

Regards,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey m8,

Cool same tools i use :p Ah it just reminds me of a filter in image composer - that piece of sh!t! :D

I must say you have a lovely site there. ;)

Regards,
    ./Webmonkey

Thanks webmonkey,

I appreciate the compliment and feedback.

Regards,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Another one for ya -> Typo3

Rather complex to begin with but v. good once you get used to it...

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

http://hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/Content_Management/

asp ones

Why a web dev company want to know about other CMS`s is beyond me, perhaps having a look at the code and rehashing it, its known to happen

Advertisement