Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free content management systems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Why a web dev company want to know about other CMS`s is beyond me

If you read my first post you will see that im not interested in just any other CMS. I'm looking for one that can compete with the likes of vignette etc and preferably one that is open source or low cost.

I'm not interested in CMS's that take a lot of development work to have up and running. I want an application that is as plug and play as possible. I have yet to see an open source/free CMS that is up to the level of vignette for example. And that was my question - does anyone know of any that could compete with these other offerings.

We have developed our own, modular type content management system but I believe it would be a lot more cost effective for my clients for us to install an open source content management system.

It would not only benefit our clients, but it would also cut down on our labour costs. Which means overall we are providing a quality solution for a cheaper price.

thats why............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by viking
    Another one for ya -> Typo3

Rather complex to begin with but v. good once you get used to it...

viking

Wow, this is the type of stuff im talking about... it is complex though... Does anyone know much about this? Is there a way of simplifying the interface?

Don't fancy tryin to teach my clients how to use this... still tryin to figure it out myself!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Tried Typo a while back because I was so impressed with it, but it was a right pain in the arse to install. The main issue was dependence on gd and/or ImageMagick, which totally got under my skin for some reason -- why would a CMS use images for navigation elements by default? Anyway, I installed it, fiddled with it, threw it away. Like a lush, it's pretty but annoyingly dependent.

I'm just looking into Bricolage meself. Probably a bit OTT for what you're looking for, but it's my new toy for the week. ;)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could always try something like SiteStudio (http://www.psoft.net/SS/site_studio_info.html) if you want a simple tool for SMEs etc.

There are a lot of CMS available in PHP/MySQL also. It depends very much on what kind of solution you are aiming for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

if it serves as any kind of testimonial then...

I'm using one of dynamic.ie's CMS at the moment (well, a client is). Getting it is the single best decision I've ever made. Gone are the few dozen phone calls a week looking for tech support. Thankfully the admin panel is completely foolproof. I just provided a bit of documentation to them to explain the functions of the website and Bob's your mothers brother!

I love it, so far it's saved me thousands on psychotropic substances to block out all the ranting from that one specific client.

• Advertisement
Advertisement