Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras and Penalty points

Options
  • 23-05-2003 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Do you get points if you are caught by a GATSO? As they only photo the rear of the car you cannot see who is driving.

Is there any defense for the owner in saying "I wasnt driving it must have been the wife" ?

What is the position?

Thanks

James

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I don't think that makes any difference. Who ever owns the vehicle has to pay the fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

We had this discussion a while back..

http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76262

But didnt reach a definate answer.. I'd say your best bet is to ring the gardaí in Dublin Castle.. they'll have an answer for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

If you are the owner of the car it is your responsibility to identify who the driver is. There's obviously the possibility that you can't identify the driver but I'd say you would need to come up with a pretty good story as to why this is. They're not going to let you get away with it easily, let's put it that way.

So if your wife was driving the car at the time, then she gets the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

This came up in the UK not so long ago too. It was suggested there that it would be an infringement of your civil rights to be forced to reveal the identity of the driver of the car in such a case, as it could lead to self-incrimination. I believe some speeding cases were quashed on this basis too.

Well.. when you think about it...

When it comes down to it, it is your car. It is your responsibility to ensure that it is roadworthy etc... You also must give permission for another person to drive it, otherwise it's theft. By this reasoning, you are aware who is driving the car on a specific day.

Now I'm not suggesting keeping logbooks of who is driving when, and I'm not suggesting that you need to be "Memory Man" to try and remember who was driving the car. I'm just saying that the Gardaí would be well within their rights to slap the points on your licence. Simply because, its your car, and its up to you to know whos driving it, where and at a given time. And since the car wasn't reported stolen at the time, then it's safe for them to say that under the current laws/insurance policies, you knew who was driving the car, and had given them your concent to do so.

This was really making me think, so I went for the definative answer.. I called the Garda Traffic Department on (01) 6669800.

The driver of the car is responsible for and obliged to tell the Gardaí who was driving the vehicle at the time of the offence. It is an offence for them not to do so, and as such the driver can be charged with obstructing an investigation, or something to that effect.

So.. Its up to the driver to make sure that he/she knows who is driving their car at all times, and where they are going with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    The driver of the car is responsible for and obliged to tell the Gardaí who was driving the vehicle
    Don't you mean owner?

Oops.. Didnt re-read that properly.. Yes I mean the Owner .. I cant edit it to fix.

Advertisement