Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom the Final Say

Options
  • 23-05-2003 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

As feared the eircom broadband manager rang me, basically reiterating that i cant get broadband, I explained to him the whole story, from beginning to end, he said hed talk to the rest of the product support team and have an answer for me on why it passed originally then failed.

He said there new to broadband and dont really know why this sort of thing could happen.

So as of now I cant get broadband with eircom netsource and i presume esat as theyll be using the radsl route as well.

It a damn liberty in this day and age that we continually pay for services we cant even get.

Ah well i got so far ill give esat a bell just in case but im not hopeful.

Modern technology it can go **** itself.

Im so ****ing dejected

Shin

Oh he said the line might pass in the future right now im looking out the window and seeing porkers flying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

just confirmed with esat cant get it off them either, even though i passed there 90 euro business and there 60 euro resi product

****ing typical

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by shinzon
    He said there new to broadband and dont really know why this sort of thing could happen.
    Because over 3 years just isn't long enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Don't give up yet Shinzon. I assume you in a BB enabled area, and it's a problem on your line that's causing all the fuss. If your line quality could be improved, I presume you could then get BB. With eircom being the owner and operator of your line, is there any way you can force them to undertake work to improve the quality of your line. Also is there anything you can do at your end, such as try to reduce splits on the line etc .?

Wheeler_1028

Originally posted by wheeler_1028
    Don't give up yet Shinzon. I assume you in a BB enabled area, and it's a problem on your line that's causing all the fuss. If your line quality could be improved, I presume you could then get BB. With eircom being the owner and operator of your line, is there any way you can force them to undertake work to improve the quality of your line. Also is there anything you can do at your end, such as try to reduce splits on the line etc .?

Wheeler_1028

yes im in a bb enabled area, have asked eircom to come out to do further tests, they declined, saying the database says youve failed theres nothing we can do

Regards
    Shin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

just confirmed with esat cant get it off them either, even though i passed there 90 euro business and there 60 euro resi product

Well, if you can afford it, the EUR 90 (thats excluding VAT) is probably the best DSL product in Ireland. It has no interleaving (therefore very low latency), low contention (24:1), and very good bandwidth (512k/256k I believe it is actually something like 600k/300k). If I could get it on my exchange, I'd jump at it.

However it is very strange that you can get this, but not RADSL (if you are on a RADSL enabled exchange), the requirements for Esats LLU products should be far more stringent then for RADSL.

Ask Eircom to get an engineer in your exchange to retest your line, not just read it off the database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

So close yet so far.

My broadbrand is going to cost me €350,000... thats 1mb adsl with eircom...and they throw in a house in Malahide for free :/

im on the waterford main exchange and im in the third largest housing estate in waterford, straight across from the waterford regional hospital.

I cant understand why i cant get it, i passed esats 90 euro product (cant afford it bk), yet today they come back with i failed for radsl, i kinda knew they would, first thing they asked was my eircom account number, heart sank at that

Oh well would say onwards and upwards but there aint nowhere to go

regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So sorry shinzon after all you went through, particularly after all the ministers and so forth..Is there any possibility that they will retest the line quality and identify where the problem lies? Is an independant engineer an option? Maybe Esat might be interested in the PR if they could work out the problem? I cannot understand how on earth you you can pass a ADSL test and then fail the RADSL test??!?

Anyway all the best and don't give up Shin. And enjoy yr new Xbox :D Hopefully see you on Xbox Live sometime...

Oh and Praetorian...
    My broadbrand is going to cost me €350,000... thats 1mb adsl with eircom...and they throw in a house in Malahide for free :/

If you have a house in Malahide for €350,000 with 1mb connection then we sould talk some more....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

As feared the eircom broadband manager rang me, basically reiterating that i cant get broadband, I explained to him the whole story, from beginning to end, he said hed talk to the rest of the product support team and have an answer for me on why it passed originally then failed.

So as of now I cant get broadband with eircom netsource and i presume esat as theyll be using the radsl route as well.

It a damn liberty in this day and age that we continually pay for services we cant even get.

Ah well i got so far ill give esat a bell just in case but im not hopeful.

Modern technology it can go **** itself.

Im so ****ing dejected

Shin

Oh he said the line might pass in the future right now im looking out the window and seeing porkers flying
    You still have 2 options.
    1. Give up!
    2. Dont let those shower of ****s get the better of you.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

Real sorry to hear this Shin. Your persistance has been an inspiration.

I don't know if it would work, but what about ordering a second line, and tell them you want it for data, so no line splitters.

If they ran a new line to your house it might do the trick. Once it's up and running you could cancel your original line.

Don't want to get your hopes up. Anyone know why this wouldn't work?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Damian
    Real sorry to hear this Shin. Your persistance has been an inspiration.

I don't know if it would work, but what about ordering a second line, and tell them you want it for data, so no line splitters.

If they ran a new line to your house it might do the trick. Once it's up and running you could cancel your original line.

Don't want to get your hopes up. Anyone know why this wouldn't work?

i was thinking of doing that but ive seen some posts on here that they asked about this but eircom couldnt guarantee that that would work either, dont want to shell out if it isnt going to work

regards

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

I cant understand why i cant get it, i passed esats 90 euro product (cant afford it bk), yet today they come back with i failed for radsl, i kinda knew they would, first thing they asked was my eircom account number, heart sank at that

Something's rotten somewhere!

How many kms is your property from the DSLAM? (Sounds as if you are not far).

How many phones and other devices are connected to your phone line? Is your home professionally wired or do you have cables running here, there and everywhere - including under doors, etc?

Is your line noisy or silent? Do you have ISDN? If not, at what speed to you connect to the net over the PSTN?

Have you said or done anything during your lifetime which might aggravate those nice people in eircom or their shareholders?

zz..

Originally posted by zz03
    Something's rotten somewhere!

How many kms is your property from the DSLAM? (Sounds as if you are not far).

How many phones and other devices are connected to your phone line? Is your home professionally wired or do you have cables running here, there and everywhere - including under doors, etc?

Is your line noisy or silent? Do you have ISDN? If not, at what speed to you connect to the net over the PSTN?

Have you said or done anything during your lifetime which might aggravate those nice people in eircom or their shareholders?

zz..

Will answer questions in turn lol

1) half a mile

2) 2 phones and an internet connection on the same line, house wired professionally.

3) line isnt noisy, quite clear to be honest, no isdn just 56 k dialup, im connected on the net now at 42667, but can go as high as 45000 on a good day

4) just called em bastards on here a couple of times if that counts lol

Regards
    Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

what a crock of ****.

about 2.5km from exchange but just got a voice mail saying that "€ircon regretfully cannot provide a dsl service".

Only connect at 31,200bps so am thinking that the line quality is fairly ****e or theres a fault somewhere.

if there is a fault are €ircon obliged to fix it?
    if its line quality am i fooked?

How can ye test the noise on the line?

Scruff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A voice mail? You're kidding, right?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by dahamsta
    A voice mail? You're kidding, right?

adam

nope.
    but i should clarify that it wasnt actually me that got it, it was one of my housemates who got it. €ircom a/c is in his name so he has to deal with em.;) he was working off site so rang me to see if i could look up boards to find out if anyone here knew what our options(if any!) are.

will listen to the message later to see exactly what they said.
    Pretty pathetic only leaving a voice mail and not trying to ring back.

Advertisement