Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

propagation

• 23-05-2003 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am going to move my domain to a different telco/isp but it will take 24 to 48 hours.
    Is there a way in which i can assign 2 ip addresses to the 1 url and redirect the old ip until the new one has propagated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

It's a good idea to set the expiry time on the DNS entries to something short like 5-10 mins a few days before the move is scheduled to take place. That should give all the cached entries around the world a chance to expire and be replaced by the new entries with short lifetime.

Then your downtime should be limited to the switch-over time only, which hopefully won't be too bad. Presumably the physical location isn't changing, just the ISP, so it's not feasible to get a dummy server up and running with the new ISP and temporarily redirecting back to the old one?

Advertisement