Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Format & Reinstall?

Options
  • 23-05-2003 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

My friends Win 95 went haywire the other day and wouldnt boot up windows.

I failed to fix the problem ( or even find it ) so I went and formatted the hard drive and reinstall windows. Its a Compaq machine and so came with a master cd and boot disk but ... and this is the problem ... when it trys to read the boot disk and reinstall it gets stuck on the install i've left it for hours but its still stuck on the install screen( a compaq logo and a status bar).

So do I:

a)reset the bios and try again.

b) reset the bios and try to install windows 98 with my own startup disk.

c)try something completly different cause clearly I dont know what i'm doing and should have consulted boards first :rolleyes:

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Have you tried booting from cd ?

or is it one of those master cds which require you to have the boot disk ?

What type is your win 98 ?

You could try boot straight from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Yea its one of those master cds which require you to have the boot disk.

It wont give me the option of booting from the cd.

Incase i didnt make it clear in my first post i've already formatted the hard drive.

If I reset the bios should I be able to use my own startup disk and windows version? I have both 98 and 98se.

please help :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You don't need to reset the bios to reinstall a different operating system, but I would suggest debugging the hard drive first, then just fire her up to 98se with any old boot disk or if your 98 is an original copy you can just boot off that.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I found the problem the compaq boot disk was damaged/faulty. Brought a win 98se boot disk along and installed 98se with no probs.

Thanks for the replies lads :)

Advertisement