Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OEM software?

Options
  • 23-05-2003 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for being completely stupid , but this is one thing that has bugged me for a while and wondered if someone could clear it up. Whats the difference between the OEM version of Win XP Pro and the retail version? Thanks to whoever can explain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

The difference between MS and OEM versions of software is that it can only be sold with an essential piece of hardware. What is an essential piece of hardware? Well that is a grey area not yet tested legally by anyone...

The big user-side difference however is Microsoft do not support OEM software. You have to get your support from the vendor. Other than that it is a full product with a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cheers. so itll work with a pc i just built myself without problems?. I'm assuming the ms websites will recognise it as a full version and let me download the updates and patches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Yes, once it has not been activated on another machine. If it has you just have to ring mickeysoft and tell them you have upgraded your machine. They then give you an activation code over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Here are the numbers.

Irish Activation

1 800 930 031

Uk activation

+ 44 870 241 1963

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Antoher thing with the OEM version of Windows XP is the vendor is not allowded to include the prorper Windows XP disk, All they are allowded to give you is a system restore disk which is just like a ghost image.

The retail version comes with the correct disk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: The big user-side difference however is Microsoft do not support OEM software.

This is misleading as it implies they actually support non-OEM software. No idea what you get nowadays - but the last time I checked with NT4 Server it was still $150 per question - and if they could not solve the problem you got a credit rather than your money back.

In any event your only legal entitlements are - if you return a defective CD in the first 30 days - they have to replace it (probably with an equally defective one.) Also someone said under Irish law it is legal to make ONE backup copy of the original install media. - ie. if you did not get any media supplied your rights are ZIP.

PS,. M$ support is of course outsourced to the highest bidder - so margins are tight - Compaq (ex digital ) / Stream probably

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I really should have put this in my original post (thanks to everyone for explaining oem btw) but the reason i asked is because i have the option to pay aprox. €400 for a retail copy of XP pro or get an OEM copy for approx. €200 as i work for an electronics company which sells computer components

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sourfoot

Since i work in this area i though i'd give a clearer answer.
    An OEM licence stands for an Original Equipment Manufacturer Licence. This is a licence sold to computer maufacturers at a greatly reduced cost from Microsoft. The arrangement from this is that the Computer manufacturer supplies the technical support on the product. An OEM licence can only be sold with a PC or a piece of computer hardware. The OEM licence (and consequently the software product) are non transferable to another computer, in other word they live and die on the PC that they were First installed on regardless of whether the not the PC breaks, if it breaks the Licence has to stay there. What defines the actual PC inthis context is the mother board and chasis, in other words you can change the harddrive, RAM CPU, etc etc but not the Motherboard or chasis. So you can upgrade your Pc while the OEM licence is on it. Microsft Can give Technical support on the OEm licence but only in certain circumstances where the technical issue is beyond that of the computer manufacturer, or if the computer manufacturer has gone out of business.
    A Full Packaged Product (FPP) allows you to transfer it to another Pc, but you can only ever have it on one PC at a time. You should get some technicial support from Microsoft on this product.
    a helpful technicial support site for Microsoft is below. Choose the knowledge base and then choose the product and put ina search string.
    Support

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check out www.openoffice.org - ie. do you really need EVERY office feature. - also have a look at older versions of lotus these are dirt cheap ( If M$ are not abusing their monopoly how come they charge 10 times the price of the main competing product..)

Also Check out the upgrade options
    . Version -
    . Value
    . Competitive - don't think you can use OpenOffice for this :(
    etc..

If you can get your hands on an old ofice Pro 4.3 cert or even buy a copy of smartsuite 97 ~ €20 ??? then you should be able to upgrade to XP pro for ~ 240 + Vat

But M$ pricing / upgrading rules are bloody tricky - used to be able to buy a copy of works and then upgrade it to office std. for less than the cost of buying excel standalone - go figure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sourfoot

Shoudl check Out Suns Office Star they have been giving it to schools in the UK for free. They are trying to muscle in on the MS office monpoly
    Office Star

• Advertisement
Advertisement