Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband my Story

Options
  • 23-05-2003 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Sorry should have posted it here!

Ok, after putting up with €ircon for a long time i finally took the plunge and got NTL to the house, replacing ADSL Multi(€139 per month), compared to €40 per month NO CAP and Free Cable Modem.

To say im pleased is an understatement, the Engineers (Neil + his sidekick, sry cant remember his name) came out and fitted me for Cable in 20 mins, YES i said 20 Mins!! 1 hole drilled and hey presto i have Cable, 10 mins later and i have sorted out my home network 4 pc's and a server. Is it Fast yah want to know see below,

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=241
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=241
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=241
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 23ms

Remember this is at 13:30 middle of the day and i get a 31 ping ]

Ok now i have to say that they are doing these installations in Lucan only for the moment, seemingly because this area has a very high % of computer users per capita. amongst other things.

and after a while they will do other areas, see http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_faqs%20euro.html
    And make your mind up, now people who know me will know im VERY picky about my Net access, but i have to be honest, i am VERY pleased with this service.

Well done to Matt and Emma.

PS the original link was busted hers another

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

NTL really seem to be the only company in Ireland providing a top notch braodband service at a great price.

too bad their market is so small at the moment.

come on NTL work your magic out in Dublin 15/Blanchardstown/Castleknock area - very high pc ownership out here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Pity it took them 2/3 years after trialling the whole shebang to roll it out...I remember calling to ask if BB was available and they told me the project had been cancelled because of lack of interest!

Also a pity that the up speed is only 128, a bit low for a 600kbps downstream..I'm sure your mate wouldn't mind playing Xbox Live too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

True!

But €ircom also offer the same upstream, I know many people wont be happy, and NTL have had some problems before, but they ARE trying to Give a better Service.

They have roll outs in the works, Give it time they will cover most areas in the Future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Carnate

They have roll outs in the works, Give it time they will cover most areas in the Future.

yep, thats this year too.

they cover c 1% of the pop now.

Advertisement