Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 1000 Companies?

Options
  • 23-05-2003 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Anyone read the list of the top 1000 companies in the Irish Times today?

I didn't think it was very accurate. It was based on turnover from what I can see. Does turnover mean shágall?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Didn't read it...
    Re: turnover

I remember reading that M$ have a net margin of 80-90+% for their office suite.
    If you are in a commodity industry, you might be operating on something like a 3-4% margin.
    So turnover alone isn't much of a measure - I guess it's industry specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think to list a 1000 "top" companies in an economy as small as Irelands is pushing things a bit...turnover is like a nations GDP -it
    could be huge but the economy that produces it could be up to its neck in debt. Net Profit as a percentage of turnover is the only meaninful measure of a commercial entity.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Looks like the Irish Times making a half assed attempt at breaking into something that other publications do properly. I think the charts that Ernst & Young publish (don't know what newspaper/magazine they do it with) are really good but i've looked at todays supplement and I'm off to take a dump.

No need for bog paper.

The statistics they used are available from the CRO website and they made no effort whatsoever.

Advertisement