Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing remote drive

Options
  • 23-05-2003 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Got the following problem and would greatly appreciate help.

I connect to my company via dialup networking as per normal with any dialup ISP.

Then I can access all the files by mapping out a network drive.

My problem is that mapping out the network drive doesn't work with a network card in the machine. There must be some interferance but I don't know what that is. The only way I can map the network drive is by removing the network card and disconnecting the pc from the home network.

I use windows xp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

You using a laptop ? Seems to me that its trying to go through the Network card to access the file server.

Is it using a diff dns server with the network card ?

Can you connect using the fileservers ip address ?

Do a tracert to the fileservers ip address and see which way its going.

Does everything else work ok when you are connecting tot he net with the network card in the pc ?

A rough solution is to create a "work from home" hardware profile for the computer and have the network card disabled in that and then have a normal home hardware profile as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

add a static route so that all traffic goes to the dialup-line.
    or just add a static route so that all traffic for the particular computer you are trying to access goes by the modem.

route --help should give you info. Might be a nice gui way of doing it in XP as well, don't know.

Or ask your sysadmin in work about it, he should be able to configure the routing you get from the dhcp server used to give you your ip on dial in.

oh yeah. If your lan ip range is the same as the office lan range, then change it :)

Gav

Advertisement