Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to college funding?

Options
  • 23-05-2003 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is thinking of going back to college. This was topic of conversation last Saturday night.thought it was just drink talk but they came back to me during the weeek to see if I found out anything about it. Of course i didn't.

So does anybody know what the story is with back to education/mature student fnding in the way of grants etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure your friend manages the tax years so that part of the study is in different years, thereby reducing tax (if they are paying tax). Fees should be paid for (depending on course) by the government, but maintenance will be a huge issue.

Try to get his employer to pay his fees, either as a work expense or a (tax free) bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sensei

if he wanted a really cheap way he should go do a Fas job/unemplyed for 6 months, then he qualifies for the "returning to Education" scheme(or something along them lines) that the social welfare do for mature students. This means he gets dole money each week, plus rent allowance, plus he can apply for a grant as well!!

Advertisement