Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So i'm about to become a rhythm guitarist.....

Options
  • 23-05-2003 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

My friends asked me to join their band as a second guitarist, They're pretty good. We get free use of TBMC recording studios, they've written an album to be recorded, we have free us of a recording studio, all of this through a s***load of connections. And oh yeh, one of their uncles is high up in Today FM......you never know, you might know us in a while.

Any advice on playing live anyone? i've never played live to anyone, and playing in front of a crowd seems nervewrecking to say the least....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

Use one of your connections to get a cheap 6ft stack amp and hide behind it.

Or else become a drummer and strategically place the symbols for minimal audience viewing angles and play in your underwear. It worked for me, seriously.

The best thing you can do is play as many gigs as you can, some people are meant to be up there some arent, make sure the music is good, your really into it and then you'll want people to hear it and you'll love showing it off.

Thats my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

know your parts... then just enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Hmmm..interesting replies. thanks everyone. The thing is the band is used to playing live, the've been doing so for about a year. My friend said to turn to the drummer when i'm playing, and to not let anyone we know come to the first gig. I dunno, maybe when i get up there i'll love it! who knows! that or i could freeze.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Just picture everyone in their underwear.

lol! does that actually work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heh, picturing anyone in their underwear has never worked for me ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're not sure about your bit, practice over a tape at home, or grab the singer or drummer (or preferably the whole band :)) and practice.

The key to sounding good live is to know your bit inside-out. Don't try and study the music or learn it 'off by heart', just play play play. There's plenty of songs which I used to play for people, and I knew inside-out, but now I'll barely get past the second chord :)

Just enjoy it. A wise young man once said to me, "The more you think about what you're supposed to be playing, the harder it is to play". Just get lost in the playing :)

fs, you'd know I've been drinking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

you asshole, just be glad you got a break so easy, stop moaning:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 psychotic joe

Heres a thought:
    sometimes the best thing to do for a live performance is to get really psyched up first, then go out and play as hard as you can on stage, and before you know it the gig'll be over, and if ur lucky no one'll run u out of town 4 such a god awful performance! ;)

(living in the suburbs aint so bad)
    now wheres my penny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

interact with yer fellow band mates as much as possible i.e. walk over to the drum kit look at yer drummer ect.,never ever turn your back,smile, and always have a spare guitar ready and in tune.

you asshole, just be glad you got a break so easy, stop moaning

Eh don't think so bobdringo, how have i got a break if i don't know if i'll be able play live?

Geting psyched up seems like a good idea, i think i'll try that. Scream my lungs out first. I'm not singing so i don't care!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

If you're tired don't EVER drink three cups of coffee just before you open the gig with your most difficult song.I learnt from that experience now I keep to the cocaine and ecstasy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

The intravenous injection of hard drugs is the only way, its true.

Advertisement