Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amocom (Cork)

Options
  • 24-05-2003 5:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

There is a new WISP boradband service available in Cork.
    Amocom
    There seems to be good availability and its a symetric service, 512up/512down.
    Does anyone know anything about this.
    What is the service like for online gaming and downnloads and reliability if anyone who knows about it can tell me I be very grateful Im interested in getting it but dont know much.:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

blehh 60 for 256/256 isn't good
    also, the worst coverage map ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

its better than most people can get, so hush ur whinge up

this is only thing that will be available to be soon, im in same boat as you chowley, more info it would be good for someone using the service

from my email contact they said latency from their own networks was around the 20-25ms mark, and excellent for gaming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by parasite
    blehh 60 for 256/256 isn't good
    €60 plus VAT. I recently tried to get this, but unfortunately I don't have LOS on their main site and their secondary site only has one sectoral up thus far. John O'Hare runs it, he was involved in CorkWAN at the very early stages. Proprietry connectivity on 5.4.

adam

ummm so that area marked 'site' by the south ring road is the mast or whatever, yes ? how come more of rochestown passage isn't covered

perhaps you could wait for Irish Broadband to come to cork (?)

ummm so that area marked 'site' by the south ring road is the mast or whatever, yes ?

It's the mast with only one sector currently, mounted on the National SOftware Centre in Mahon. The other mast is up the northside.

how come more of rochestown passage isn't covered

<shrug>

perhaps you could wait for Irish Broadband to come to cork

Perhaps monkeys will fly out of my butt.

adam

• Advertisement

i look forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

perhaps you could wait for Irish Broadband to come to cork

No chance besides the fact it will probably never happen, Id rather go for a Cork based Company.
    IBB should be Dublin Broadband.

from my email contact they said latency from their own networks was around the 20-25ms mark, and excellent for gaming
    Barra is that for the business or home package?
    I think the download on the home package is a little too low Im gonna spend the extra €30 or so a month for the business me thinks.:ninja:

well i mentioned the 512k/512k and also it would be for a business so yeah the business models i suspect he was talking about

do u have los to one of the immediate transmittors?

I dont know yet I havent even enquired about it yet, Im trying to find out more about it first in case i end up being talked into a second rate service.
    Im a bit worried about the line of sight, I have very talll trees surrounding my house which do get cut shorter every few years to keep them in check but they could still block it.

The weather thing also really got me worrying, BB for the summer and dial-up for the winter that wouldnt be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

correct me if I'm wrong but they appear to be using that swanky motorola canopy hardware. That ungodly expensive swanky motorola canopy hardware... Just an observation from a few of the pictures and details on the website. Nice and easy installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by parasite
    also, the worst coverage map ever

You said it. The coverage map excludes the National Software Centre, where one of their masts is allegedly located.

they also informed me they are interested in a site in little island for a transmittor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

I am covered by Amocom.. And considering the fact that I recently failed the ADSL/RADSL tests - I might seriously be looking into it.. roughly e72 per month (inc VAT) for 256/256 -- anyone with the service know anything about the quality..

Also it seems to be uncapped.. not that Im a big downloader, but atleast it'll be -truly- flat rate without me needing to worry about time / downloads.

And I hope as time goes on by they will reduce their prices..

Originally posted by Synkronite
    Also it seems to be uncapped..
    It is and it's not. They haven't specified a limit, but try asking.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Funny thing, just rang EsatBT and Eircom for a last ditched effort to get DSL.. both say I passed, and Eircom are ready to set me up over the phone and have the self install pack sent out to me..

Now what do I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Synkronite
    Funny thing, just rang EsatBT and Eircom for a last ditched effort to get DSL.. both say I passed, and Eircom are ready to set me up over the phone and have the self install pack sent out to me..

Now what do I do!
    Get esats instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slands

First a caveat....I am a friend of John O'Hare (the owner of Amocom), so you can take what I say below with a pinch of salt if you wish:-

I have the 256/256 service installed in my parents house in Douglas, and it works very well (I use it a lot when I am in Cork - I am normally based in Dublin, where I use Leap). One thing though is that it does need good LOS to the basesite (my parents house is served from the basesite on the northside). Obstructions, such as trees do cause problems.

I am not a gamer, so I cannot comment on that.

The gear is Motorola Canopy, which is VERY neat. The transciever on the roof/wall simply has a CAT5 (ethernet) plugged into it, and it gets its power over ethernet. This means just a single light cable running up to the transciever. Also, since it is ethernet and not co-ax running up to the transciever, there are no problems with distance from the PC/router to the roof.

The node on the NSC has only been setup fairly recently, and as has been pointed out currently only has one sector running. It is likely that further sectors will be added. The map has not been updated to show this basesite yet. The current sector is pointing in the general direction of Rochestown, so if you are living there, and have LOS to the National Software Centre in Mahon, give John a shout and he will come out and do a site survey for you.

As I understand it Amocom do no have a CAP in the sense that Eircom do - i.e you will not pay more no matter how much you download. However, I believe that they reserve the right to 'degrade' the service if you are down/up-loading excessively. You will not be charged any more, but your connection might slow down. Check the T&C and the AUP for details.

Stephen...

I have to say, it /is/ neat. None of your ugly MMDS-alike mesh yokes, just one of the yokes that appears on the front page of the Canopy website. Very neat altogether. Unfortunately, the fifteen foot pole I would have required on the roof to /possibly/ use it would have kind of knocked the neatness on the head. Still though, at least we'd have our own spire down here. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

anywhere (high) up to 100m away from your PC, the max CATV distance.

then again, if it was in a friends house, 1000Base SX fibre has a range of 550m

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oharej

Hi,
    First of all, just want to say thanks for the discussion on Amocom. The more exposure we get the better, as it often surprises me how little we are known. I think many of the questions have been answered, but just thought I would try and add to a few key recurring questions:

1) Coverage: At the moment the main bases are located noth of the city centre and this provides coverage to a radius of about 4 miles. All the city centre and near east/south/west suburbs are within range. It is 5.7GHz, so if you are within range, you still need Line of Sight.

2) Immediate Expansion Plans: One sector is currently active on the NSC providing coverage for Mahon Point. It also currently covers about 50% of Rochestown. The remaining sectors will be operational within weeks. Plans are at an advanced stage re bringing service to other areas close to the city, and the web site will be updated when they come on-line.

3) Caps: On the lower-end contention based packages, we do reserve the right to ask a customer who consistently exceeds the average for their particular package to upgrade. This is purely to try and maintain a decent quality of service for the other users. To-date there has only been one case where a customer was not even aware of the excessive usage due to a peer-to-peer networking service that had been downloaded. On the 6+ business pkg there is not a cap.

4) Ping times are about 30ms on average over our network.

5) Yes, size of the equipment (CPE) itself is pretty neat. However, in some cases to get Line of Sight it is necessary to place CPE on a mast which all depends on the particular situation.

6) Price is a function of a number of factors including wholesale bandwidth prices, level of demand, cost of subscriber equipment etc. etc. Our target is around €35 to €40 for home uses. All I can say on this is that any reductions will be passed on to existing customers when they do take place. One final point which some of our customers have pointed out, is that there is no line rental. This can be an additional saving for users who would not otherwise need a phone line.

Final point I should mention is that we were one of 5 companies selected by DCMNR for promoting the use of this technology as an alternative and compliment to ADSL.
    [URL=http://]www.dcmnr.gov.ie[/URL]

If there are any further questions, do please let me know.

Thanks,
    John.

Mahon, Cork,
    Ireland.

Email: mailto:oharej@amocom.com
    Phone: +353-21-730-4635
    Fax: +353-21-429-0062
    Mobile: +353-87-234-0041
    Web: www.amocom.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by oharej
    Hi, First of all, just want to say thanks for the discussion on Amocom.

Yo

Welcome to boards. Always great to see another service provider engaging and especially good to see a wireless operator with a transmitter somewhere other than the top of Three Rock!

Any plans to cover Little Island? Eircom have no immediate DSL plans there........

john,

i am also interested in a site in little island or glountaine ( i was in contact with you about this over email )

any other updates on the situation?

All I can say is that Little Island is very high on our agenda. We are currently in negotions for a site - actually had a meeting about same this morning. Thanks.

John.

The coverage map on your site isnt very clear could but I presumed that your service is available in ballinlough as it is close to the transmitter can you confirm this?

have a look out your window in the general direction of mahon , i can see two, rte have one around there, no?

oh, and do some advertising !!!

Parts of Ballinlough are covered from the north city centre base station. The remaining sectors on the NSC should be live within weeks, so that will further improve coverage. Which Road are you talking about - if you do not want to say on off-line, send an email to oharej@amocom.com.

Thanks,
    John.

Shrewsbury on the ballinlough road, John.

For the solo business package what kind download per month is average?
    When you degrae the service for a heavy downloader do ye decrease the bandwidth and by how much?

Shrewsbury on the ballinlough road is well within range and there should also be a very good chance of line of sight.

Limits:
    As a ball-park, 5GB per month for resedential is OK. Above that we would need to start looking at some options. The main thing is that we would not want continuous downloads/uploads or sharing connection with third parties, with our contention based products.

The normal procedure is to inform a customer when we notice excessive usage. We have had only to that once to date, in which case the customer was actually deligthed to be informed as they were unaware this was aso hogging their own internal resources.

If you have any further questions do let us know. If you would like to proceed, complete and return the contract form. We will then arrange on receipt of completed contract a combined Line of Sight / Install. The contract form is available at http://www.amocom.com/services.html

Thanks,
    John.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

256/256 5Gb Cap 20:1 contention for €72.60 a month is hardly sex on wheels is it?

especially with a setup fee of €320.65

All prices VAT inclusive seeing as we are talking Residential.

Irishwisp and IBB have a similar setup charge but come in around the €50 a month for 512/512 and same or lower contention.

Why is Cork so expensive ?

M

Advertisement