Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiplayer Games

Options
  • 24-05-2003 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Are there any decent multiplayer games for the PS2?

I had Goldeneye and Mario Cart for the N64 and they were both classic multiplayer games - anything like those around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Timesplitters is suposed to be good multyplayer ! ( number 2 is out now )

as far as mario kart is concerned its coming out on GC and you want find anything like it on PS2 muhahahah !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ps2 is ****. Recommend some games for me, i am so bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ps2 is ****. Recommend some games for me, i am so bored of it.

Shit, you say?

Pick up Rez, it can't be going for any more than €30 nowadays. Or Ico. Or Vice City. Or for multiplayer shenanigans, Timesplitters2, Burnout2, SSX Tricky or Pro Evolution 2.

Then, come back and tell me it's shit. Without laughing.

If you're going to throw around such bold statements like that, at least try to back them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Horse

Timesplitters is suposed to be good multyplayer

Yeh, ive been looking up a few reviews and it sounds like a class game - i must have it.

Pick up Rez, it can't be going for any more than €30 nowadays. Or Ico. Or Vice City. Or for multiplayer shenanigans, Timesplitters2, Burnout2, SSX Tricky or Pro Evolution 2.

Then, come back and tell me it's ****. Without laughing.

If you're going to throw around such bold statements like that, at least try to back them up.

sorry, by **** i ment, just getting boring,
    I have vice city and plenty more and they are all catching dust, dont last any more than 2 weeks max. Il try pick up Rez and probably shinobi.

havent seen anything amazing since Gta3 and Max payne.
    getting matrix next week but wont be much intresting since ive already had fun with bullet time.

• Advertisement

Don't get Shinobi. From what I've played, it's third-person-slice-'um-up by numbers. Devil May Cry is going for half the price if you're really keen on the idea.

And seriously, get Rez and ICO. They could very well change your outlook on what to demand from games.

Also, I giggled when you described Max Payne as amazing. Yes.

i had it for pc, gave ps2 the benefit but i thought it was amazing, will pick up Rez, dont have clue what ICO is, What about devil may cry 2 ?

Thanks

From what I've heard, Devil May Cry 2 is a worse game than the original. Better coat, worse story and camera.

ICO is unlike anything else. A strong argument that games can be art.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

is chu-chu rocket available on PS2?
    or Capcom vs SNK 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

timesplitters 2 really brought back my love of gaming, either that or it rekindled my old goldeneye days :p

ifor ps2 - ico looks great and from what ive been told handles lovely (if a bit short) nothing else (ok maybe rez)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk

or Capcom vs SNK 2?
    can't go wrong with this game Horse. Best street fighter game on the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Hmmm...Placebo HAS a point though. While i wouldnt agree that the PS2 is ****, it has gotten veeeeeeery boring lately. There havent been many (if any) triple a titles since christmas. All the most hyped games have been a biiig disappointment too. Primal? Sure it looked sweet, but 5 minutes into the demo i had of it and i knew it was going to be piss poor. Vice city was all hype to try and disguise the fact it was nothing more than gta3 with bikes.
    Im just pissed off because this time last year there were classics coming out of every orifice of the PS2. Ico, Virtua fighter 4, Rez, Final Fantasy X. Ps2 needs a massive kick in the ass now, not another slew of movie licensed dross or "FIFA 2003: same as the last one but were hoping you wont notice" type crap.

So id reccomend to anyone looking for quality ps2 games:
    Final Fantasy X
    Ico
    Virtua fighter 4
    Quake 3 revolution, MOH:Frontline (linear, i know, but ps2 doesnt have alot of quality FPS's)
    Grand theft auto 3 (forget Vice city, this is the best GTA game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Horse

Quite a few people are recommending ICO but i havent been able to figure out what type of game it is, I read one review that just went on and on about how great it looked without giving the reader any idea of what kind of game it is - can anyone fill me in?

Ico is a bit of an enigma of a game, its very hard to pigeonhole. If youve ever played the original Prince of persia, i guess you could draw comparisons there, as in youre trapped in a castle and spend the game trying to escape. Only youre not alone in Ico, you lead this girl around by the hand, and solve puzzles together etc etc. It might not sound like much on paper, but it was one of the highlights of last year for me. The end actually made me cry..*L*Buy it, you wont regret it...except maybe at the end...*L*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Deadwing
    Quake 3 revolution, MOH:Frontline (linear, i know, but ps2 doesnt have alot of quality FPS's)

Because it doesn't have a quality FPS control system.
    You cannot play FPSs on any console I've played half as fluidly as you would if you had directional controls for one hand (ie. keyboard, pad) and a mouse in the other.
    It totally disrupts the immersion the player feels in any game when your movement is harrassed by a clunky inaccurate and slow control system.
    Racing, beatem ups and sports (ISS, NHL, FIFA etc.) are where the pad excells.

Topic:
    multiplayer games which use split-screen are just a no-no.
    The resolution each player has to live with is reduced, the detail is often compromised and it's not particularly fair in FPS/MOHAA/Q3R/Goldeneye when opponents can look into each other's screens so easily.

Beat-em-ups, soccer and racing games are again the exception here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Get Bishi Bashi Special. It's a PSX game, but utterly, utterly brilliant with two or more players. It's pretty cheap these days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Actually, I do kinda agree with Placebo - although he's obviously missed out on some classics from earlier in the PS2's lifespan, so there should be plenty of stuff (some of it on budget) for him to explore now.

In terms of new stuff though, there's not a lot of interest on the PS2 right now. Silent Hill 3 looks fantastic, but for genuinely interesting games, I've had to import from the USA.... .hack and Xenosaga are both superb, and not out over here yet (if at all). Lame.

There's some pretty good looking stuff on the way later this year, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Ico is magnificent. Best game I've played in years.

VF4 is wonderful too. Best hold off till Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is released next month though - it makes some really cool changes to the characters move lists. Watching a good Akira player is poetry in motion.

May I also recommend some music games? They're great fun in multiplayer. Frequency and Gitarooman are both fantastic. I've been playing them both for months now.

Other than that Rez, Burnout 2, Sega Sports series, Pro Evo Soccer 2, Psyvariar.. there are tons of cool PS2 games but they can be hard to find among all the liscenced ****. I just scan the 2nd hand section very often and the gems soon turn up at low prices.

Don't touch Matrix. It's awful. Button bashing fights and awful racing sections.

FPS do indeed play like crap on a pad. You need the keyboard/mouse combo. Deus Ex is extremely playable mind you. It's more RPG than straight shooting which helps.

I think if you take the time to get used to using a pad for an FPS, you wont have any problems. Using the twins analog sticks on the dual shock gets to be second nature. (I have a hard time using the KB/mouse combo now im so used to the dual shock 2)

I played the VF4:Evo demo, its gonna be worth the wait, Blitz. Looks like AM2 finally got their heads around the ps2 architecture and figured out what anti-aliasing is for.
    Silent hill 3 (yeah, i know its not multiplayer, sue me) is class, got it on friday, the only downer is, if you really want to play it as it was meant to, you have to wait till its dark out, or its just not as scary..*L*
    I read the sequel to ICO is going to be called Nico. Hopefully nothing to do with a smoker with manky teeth.
    An absolute classic anyone who owns a Ps2 should check out is Ring of Red. Its old, has crap graphics, but plays like an absolute dream.
    As Blitz said, there are plenty of classics out there, just not many recently. That reminds me...apparrently EA, after they release "Lord of the rings: Return of the king" are going to turn LOTR into an ongoing series, much like their james bond franchise. *shakes head in despair* I can see it now "LOTR: Part 7, Dude, wheres my ring??" Its companies like EA that are making ruining gaming, clogging the charts with sequel after sequel and licenced crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

AM2 ported VF4 in just 8 months. It's amazing they got it as good as they did. Porting games to PS2 is much harder than building them from the ground up as demonstrated by the launch titles; SSX and Timesplitters were both looked fantastic while the stuff from Namco looked crud.

Anyway, to say I'm anticipating VF4: Evolution is an understatement. I'm thinking of buying an arcade cabinet to play it on.

Silent Hill is a real love or hate it thing. I have some serious problems with the gameplay mechanics of survival horror titles (broken locks anyone?) that just put me off completely. :)

I used play alot of counterstrike. Being able to shoot someone in the head from 500 yards is something I have grown accustomed to. There's no going back to a dualshock. Release very cheap keyboards and mice please Sony and I might reconsider. :)

The problem with EA is they don't actually make such bad games, a couple of the ones on their BIG label are fine. But they just get stupidly large amounts of floorspace and promotion in store. The reason the only RPG's you ever see in shops nowadays are from Square-Enix is EA handle their distribution in the West.

• Advertisement
Advertisement