Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What console to buy?

Options
  • 24-05-2003 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Im about to take the plunge and get back into console gaming after a few years on PC.

Budget is 250

Xbox Halo and SPlinter Cell (have on PC not arsed about it )
    Is there anything else????

Ps2 Vice City and Iss3
    Is there anything else??

Gamecube Zelda and Metroid. (Mario,ISS3,Starfox )
    Is there anything else???

Now im scouring forsale board hoping to get more for me cash but as usual noone selling :(

Is there any other "Must have" games i mean if im spending 70 on a game i want it to last at least 20 30 hours.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Kdjac pleeeeease dont put us throguh this again :( do a search and there are threads with 4/5/6 pages on advice on which console to buy,

If you dont have a dvd player and you will be watching dvds go for PS2....If you just want a games console then go for gamecube ( then again its all about taste )

There was also a poll ( best console ) if i remember ... Gamecube got around 60% of the votes with PS2 on around 30 % and X-BOX on 10 %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

hehe

looking like the cube is winning but theres never to many "what console" threads :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

<cough>mariokart - double dash</cough>

'nuff said :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If it's your first console, I'd recommend a PS2. There's great games in every genre and it's got your dvd player, a budget range and oodles of developer support.

Games worth getting: GTAIII and Vice City, Rez, Final Fantasy, ICO, Pro Evolution Soccer 2, Timesplitters 2, Jak & Dexter, Metal Gear Solid 2, Frequency, Burnout 2, Splinter Cell, Devil May Cry, SSX Tricky.

Games coming soon: Gran Turismo 4, Ico2, Pro Evolution 3, Metal Gear Solid 3 plus all those other games that come out of nowhere and end up being fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

XBOX!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kensutz
    XBOX!!!!!!

omg good one ! did you make up that joke yourself ? its hilarious !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 KTS

It depends on taste and how long you expect to use it for. I mean with the PS2 the dvd player instanly works and you aren't forking out more dosh unlike the xbox. Mind you with the xbox it can only get better as its only just getting geared up with games.

With a small budget you could find a second-hand PS2 and a few games which will get you started.

I'm not joking. You're probably brainwashed with PS2. As for gamecube. No thanks!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

omg good one ! did you make up that joke yourself ? its hilarious !

Pathetic attempt at sarcasm.
    You're probably brainwashed with PS2.

kensutz, i think your perfectly right, some people still stick with the narrow minded view of one console for one person.

Anyone saying they are loyal to one
    company or console, well I just laugh.

And the XBox is brillant, I havent touched my PS2 since I got mine!

I got three games with it for 240 in Smiths

Halo(Amazing) Project Gotham Racing (Great Game) Dead or alive 3 (Great Fighter, can teach Tekken a thing or two)

The benefits of the built in hard drive is obvious, no need for a 40 euro memory card.

Copy your CD's to the Disk and play them in Project Gotham.

XBox is the best value at the moment IMO.

As for gamecube. No thanks!!!!!

Why Not?

Couldnt say it any better Ryo. So what if it's big and not sleek looking like the BS2. I only play the BS2 to play WE6:FE where I can patch it to updat kits and adboards etc.. Yes my second PS2 is chipped but I have the original WE6:FE if anyone tries to catch me out. Also I cant wait to get my XBOX live up and running by Mon or Tues at the very latest.

Gamecube I'm not very fond of even tho there is a good couple of games but my box rules the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

euro news : Ps2 sold 52 million, cube only sold likes a few million and its doing very bad in the market despite zelda and metriod and they have failed to boom its sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

So what if it's big and not sleek looking like the BS2

I have to say the XBox looks a lot nicer than I though it would. But I suppose its a matter of taste. To me it look very professional.
    Some of the plastic, which you initally think is black, is green under certain light conditions.

Reports of its size and weight are greatly exaggerated.

Just to point out, I have a PS2, Dreamcast, XBox and PC and will probably get a gamecube at some point. Both those resident evil games and metroid look amazing. Ive always been a fan of metroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I have a PS2, Dreamcast, XBox and PC and will probably get a gamecube at some point

phsyco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    I have to say the XBox looks a lot nicer than I though it would. But I suppose its a matter of taste. To me it look very professional.
    Some of the plastic, which you initally think is black, is green under certain light conditions.

Reports of its size and weight are greatly exaggerated.

Just to point out, I have a PS2, Dreamcast, XBox and PC and will probably get a gamecube at some point. Both those resident evil games and metroid look amazing. Ive always been a fan of metroid.

I had to drag that monster 2 miles to my home when i bought it, I was knackered after it, but well worth it, i wouldnt get rid of my dear old playstation 2 for love nor money, i was a bit dispaoointed in having to buy the DVD kit to get the dvd capability on X-BOX, but the picture quality was amazing and not a skip jump or unable to read disk anywhere, but for sheer gaming value nothing beats ps2, oh and one more thing

METAL GEAR SOLID 3

When

reagrds
    Shin

Pathetic attempt at sarcasm.

I was being serious I thought he was being sarcastic...

yes all those games you mentioned for the X-Box are great ( im a halo / DOA fan ) but to look at the X-box would scare the pants off your granny... it ugly :)

anywho those 3 games are all well and good but what next ? what other good games does it have..or even have on the horizon,

as far as brainwashing is concerned i would agree with you to an extent :) ALOT of kids have PS2s and probly couldnt name 3 games on a gamecube OR x-box, they buy them because of smackdown *sigh* or because of the adds or thier m8s have them...

PLZ NOTE I OWN A PS2 AND LOVE IT I AM NOT TRYING TO SAY ITS A BAD CONSOLE SO DONT FLAME ME *cough "50cent" cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm going to buy a new console tomorrow, I've had bit of a think about it and I reckon I'm goign to go with the gamecube.

I've just always loved the nintendo games as much as the PS2 looks good I already have a DVD player and it just seems to have tons of grand games but nothing special. Or at least nothing special that I'm interested in.

The X-Box is nice but I have a PC and I reckon most X-Box games will be available for the PC sooner or later. Halo looks the business but FPS type business is kinda tired for me without proper multiplayer.

For a console what you really want is a couple of amazing games that you can't get anywhere else and some really good multiplayer games for sitting around the telly with your mates.

To my mind Zelda is always going to be the best single player game on any of the systems, most of the good multiplayer games are on several platforms the one I'm most looking forward to getting is NBA 2k3. That game just kicked ass on the dreamcast.

And then theres MarioKart waiting in the wings I can't think of a game I'd rather play with mates in front of the telly.

While the gamecube doesn't have DVD or a whole mess of games it's got it where it counts or at least thats what my 250 yoyos say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

With DapperGent all the way there. For me, the Game Cube looks like it'll have the most simple and pure fun games of the lot. The kind of games Nintendo have built their reputation on. Maybe they're not ultra real or cool but they're just superbly designed cartoon fun and tbh I have my PC for any amount of games in the style of what's available on the PS2 or X-Box. Sure the PS2 et al have different games, but they're of the same vein... the Game Cube's games promise to be unique and offer a completely different style of fun.

It's been a while since I've had a console and the sole reason I want one is to escape PC gaming for a while.

My 2c.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just don't get an xbox!. It's just a dvd halo playing machine . any gtood games are are on the other two consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

1 console has xbox live. 2 do not. I'd still go with the gamecube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

quiet you wino

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nakey is right - if this is a "first console" and you want to play a wide variety of games and have a fairly big selection of mainstream titles to choose from, PS2 is your only choice. None of the others come close.

He's listed a fair few of the best titles for it, and I agree with most of his choices. Not a lot to add here other than that I agree with him in general really :)

I would also say that it's worth taking note of what LordSippa and DapperGent say though - if you want a console with a stack of interesting, original games that you won't find on any other platform, GameCube is the best one out, for the sake of the Nintendo first- and second-party games alone. Very different playing experience from PC gaming, and the console is pretty cheap too.

For someone who owns a PC and plays games on it, Xbox is pretty much a non-starter. Halo is out on PC in the next few months, and Splinter Cell already is - there are other decent games there but nothing to compare to the PS2 or Cube line-ups.

Advertisement