Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teletext

• 24-05-2003 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

If you tune in UTV , CH4, CH5 etc (BTW I know they are encrypted !!) could you get teletext through them ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Youi can with a FTA receiver. Why don't you try it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I get all the Irish TV channels Teletext on my PC Sat receiver (which caches *ALL* the pages and allows text search on entire "magasine"). No sound or picture. Makes TV based Teletext seem fairly dumb.
    You can click on page numbers, select sub pages instantly and copy/popaste to windows apps or even generate Web site automatically with all the pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by johnnyq
    If you tune in UTV , CH4, CH5 etc (BTW I know they are encrypted !!) could you get teletext through them ???

In theory, yes.

In practice, however, UTV does not carry teletext on digital satellite, and C4 & Five only carry their own channel information pages (C4 is from page 300 onwards, Five is p500 onwards, IIRC). This is down to the license agreements with the company that produces & maintains Teletext.

Ironic that
    CNN has good Teletext and the USA still does not have such a service.

Teletext is easier to use and faster than "Digital Text"

Teletext doesn't messup a recording "Digital Text" does

Teletext *IS* digital.. The digibox has to receive it on a separate stream as it can't be fitted inside an MPEG2 Picture (Analog pictures have "empty" bits you can sneak digital signals into)

The Digibox could even do teletext and a 1/4 screen video just like the new "Digital Text", just by SW update. Non-Teletext TVs could then "see" teletext.

Different viewers of the same Digibox channel can watch different teletext on TVs , but everyone has to see the *SAME* digital text page, even the VHS...

Teletext works on PC and FTA satellite Digital Receivers and "Digital text" doesn't

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've read in What Satellite mag that BBCi is to get a big upgrade during the summer. Apparenlty, it will have as much content as Ceefax and will be much faster. I will look forward to that!

• Advertisement

With modern "authoring" packages (magic of XML etc) you can easily produce the same content formated for teletext, Web and "Digital Interactive Text".

So only extra cost of teletext (which they presumably want for Analog Terrestrail) is the Satellite stream. Compared with Audio or "Digital Text" this is a tiny bitrate (=tiny cost) so why don't ITV and BBC transmit full teletext on Satellite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Thanks for the info guys !!

Originally posted by irishbyte
    I've read in What Satellite mag that BBCi is to get a big upgrade during the summer. Apparenlty, it will have as much content as Ceefax and will be much faster. I will look forward to that!

I wish they would do that with aertel:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by johnnyq
    Thanks for the info guys !!

I wish they would do that with aertel:D

Well, RTE are to introduce a digital text service on Sky some time. They've signed an agreement with whoever does the software. Don't know when we'll see it though. Maybe end of this year or early next year

Advertisement