Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need more than a basic FRIACO Internet service ? State type etc, here!..

Options
  • 24-05-2003 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

If a basic 24/7 FRIACO Internet access service, would NOT satisfy your current online needs. Pleas state the type of service you would like?. Type of service required?, fair price, etc.

Thanks.

Paddy20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Cable or some form of DSL,
    uncapped,
    preferably to cost at most €60 including VAT.
    If its DSL, would require the fastpath algorithim. (ie esats business dsl for 60 squids instead of 109 ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

well afaik esatbt are migrating all their resi customers over to the 512k 10gb capped iolbb service this month... once I get transffered over to that,I beleive I can finally stop whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

What is the point of this question?

Of course we need more than that. This is technology we're talking about. It inherently continues to evolve. It never stands still. For the Irish economy and development of the nation we have to continue to move forward. This is why IOFFL will never be finished.

Compare it to the PC situation. Every 6 months new processors at ever faster speeds. Monstrous progress in graphics cards. Do I need these? Only when an application arrives that takes advantage of them (okay it mainly happens to be games - but don't knock it, isn't it an industry that is as big as hollywood?) are they 'necessary'. And, here is the point, only when the tech is there will the app follow.

It's a bit of a chicken/egg thing, or, and I really dont want to use this quote, but, "If you build it, they will come.", ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    What is the point of this question?

Id agree with that. Paddy, what exactly are you trying to ascertain with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

here`s what i think..

Friaco is a starting point for anyone that wants to access the interent..

Remember not all of ireland has access to broadband but may have access to a telephone.

once you have friaco you have access with out the clock ticking..
    it does not matter that its only 150hrs access, what matters is its access 24/7

Now broadband model is different as its hi-speed 24/7 always on but you pay for bandwidth once you exceed your allow.. this is fair as long as your initial cap is reasonable like 10gb :)

You cant get anymore outa friaco other than access which we are suppose to start seeing in june.

Anyway that my 10c worth.
    :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Skip friaco, go to broadband, we're already behind, all it needs is a telephone line.

(in context of this board, not in context of getting internet access, do that in net/comms/broadband board.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    Skip friaco, go to broadband, we're already behind, all it needs is a telephone line...

All it needs is a telephone line????????????

How about needing to be living within 4-5kms of a phone exchange?

How about that exchange having to be DSL enabled?

How about having to have a good quality phone line?

Seems to me there are just a few more requirements than a phone line. Unless I move house (which, just to get DSL, I have no intention of doing) then FRIACO is my only hope at the moment.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Dustaz,

If you do not understand or can not see the point of this *Research type of - Thread/question!. Which is not specifically in the interest one particular ISP.

Then either recycle it, bin it, or let it run its natural course!. You are the Morerator. I leave the matter in your hands.

As they say:- If you have to ask the price ? Then you can not afford the product!.

Paddy20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

/me wants an OC1 Paddy, greedy or wha!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

_Quick DeLurk_

Does anyone else here think that Paddy20's threads are hilarious? 'Cause I know I do.

Paddy20 4 eva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Then either recycle it, bin it, or let it run its natural course!. You are the Morerator. I leave the matter in your hands.

As they say:- If you have to ask the price ? Then you can not afford the product!.
    If that's a choice, I'm going to lock it on the grounds of it making no sense. The first obstacle for many is lack of availability (cable or DSL). Second obstacle is price (tied in with sanity).

Type of service I'd like? The 5Mps service promised to us by the current government. I'm a sane person and knew they were lying. Yup, that's right, Bertie and Mary (both Marys) lied to us. (what do you call someone who lies?) Government lawyers can PM me for my details. And many of us knew it at the time (which is why we keep bringing it up). Lack of availability makes it a moot point.

As far as I'm concerned this is a classic "start a thread for the sheer sake of starting a thread" thread. That's why I'm locking it. I'd move it to the Recycle Bin but no-one was insulting anyone else and it'll just slide into oblivion on its own. Shannon's law for S/N ratio needs revision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement