Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Overclocking Cooling

• 24-05-2003 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Looking for a quiet powerful solution.

I will be looking to overclock to the tune of ~2.4Ghz

The setup will be:

XP 2800+ Barton @ 2.083Ghz 333Mhz FSB
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    2 * TwinMOS 512mb PC 2700 (333Mhz) in dual channel mode CL2
    Asus Geforce 4 Ti4600 128Mb
    40Gb Primary Hd ATA-133
    200Gb Secondary Hd ATA-100
    400W power supply

Firstly how should i go about tweaking the above for preformance and what cooling should i get. The PC is currently VERY loud. I think this is due to the gfx card and power supply (dual fan).

There are 4 frontal slots for case fans. 2 at the rear and one at the side over the mother board.

What combination if any case fans should be used, what power supply (silent?) and what heatsink fan.

Should i go for some sort of memory or gfx card cooling also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

first thing id recommend is a zalman heatsink & fan, seeing as noise is a priority. if u search this board & komplett board ul come up with plenty of info on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Thats a very high overclock to get with quiet air cooling .You would need water to get a barton that high quietly. It would need a lot of voltage which would create a lot of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Should i upgrade to a silent 430W PSU?

Should i install any case fans?

Should i install this:

[URL=htt[p://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=17765&t=1622&l=3&AvdID=1&CatID=28&GrpID=5&s=pl]GlobalWin CPU-Fan Socket A/7/370/FCPGA
    CAKII38, max 2,3GHz [/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Well if your willing to buy a new quiet PSU (~€100) and thinking about a zalman (~€60) Why not spend a bit more and get watercooling!!!:)

For a bit more than your willing to spend you could get a second hand watercooling kit. Dunnoabout you but its somthing i've always wanted to play round with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

You could also try an Alpha PAL 8045 or SLK 900 or AX-7 heatsink with a Noiseblocker S4.
    www.com-tra.de sell the fans, best cfm:noise ratio out there. But watercooling would probally be the way to go. Maybe something like the Koolance Exos, its a self contained w/c unit, might do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

going to continue this and document my progress in a photo diary over on HW/Tweaking

Thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97484

Advertisement