Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old series car registrations

Options
  • 24-05-2003 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Do you guys remember the old style plates that were in use up to 1987 ?

The major advantage of them was the fact that they DIDN'T show the year on the plate.
    The current registrations encourage people to change their cars more often - one of the reasons they were introduced I reckon - to raise more revenue for the government !

We should have "Personalised" or "Cherished" registrations in Ireland which we could transfer to our next vehicle whenever we trade-in our current car.

Perhaps old-style registrations coud be re-issued for use as Cherished Registrations ?

Silvera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The major disadvantage of those plates was that they were running out of combinations for them. They also made it difficult to identify the county of first registration of the car. Knowing the year of first registration is a good thing imho for people buying secondhand - they can look at a car straight and have a pretty good idea of whether or not it'll be in budget.

Personalised registrations, while a nice idea wouldn't work under the current registration system, and I don't see the government going to any trouble to make special plates for people who want a personal number plate.

The current system is logical, and it works far better than the old system imho. There 's also the fact that it'll be 2087 before anyone will need to consider a new system or a modification to the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You just want 1337 :p

tbh - I don't think anyone will confuse a 1988 Fiesta with a 2088 Fiesta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Oh, I know, but legally you can't have two cars sharing the same reg no

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Chimaera
    The current system is logical, and it works far better than the old system imho. There 's also the fact that it'll be 2087 before anyone will need to consider a new system or a modification to the current one.
    Actually, the numbers could either be reused, or they can continue from where they left off. 15-D-1 is in use (it's in the film "Michael Collins" - Duh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Chimera,
    Yes, the combinations for the old system were dwindling. However a variation on them could have run ad-infinitum.
    While the current system may well be convenient when buying a car, it also has the effect of phsychologically "ageing" the vehicle, prematurely, in most peoples minds.

Personalised or Cherished registrations could easily work under the present system:
    For example (for me) SA-WW-10
    i.e. Silvera - County - Number of choice.
    This is just one example.

As regards the current system not duplicating until 2087 - it already has. Victor gave one example: 15-D-1 (The Lord Mayor of Dublin will be disappointed in 2015 !)
    Another example is 03-WX-1, issued some years ago to a 1903 vehicle !
    These vehicles could have been issued with an old series reg as there are literally thousands of them unused e.g. Co.Carlow has over 23,000 un-issued old series registrations.

The reg 15-D-1 as used in the Micheal Collins film looked terrible - totally out of place. The people involved obviously didn't research period vehicles too well !

Silvera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

There is more discussion on this topic in the "All Things Retro" section of this board.

Silvera.

:)

Advertisement