Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource blame eircom again

Options
  • 25-05-2003 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Received a letter from Netsource saying that my line isn't up to scratch cause Eircom told them so. It's so annoying that I've to move to the city centre, and be on the same street as the exchange and still fail the line test.

At this stage I'm wondering what my options are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Go to Eircom's DSL division and see if they will install. If so go with that.

As far as i know you can request you line be fixed if you have a fault.

Also there is the option of upgrading to ISDN and then getting a DSL test now. ISDN needs an error free line AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Preferably eircom would be my last option, esat still would be better than eircom. I want eircom to fix the line so I can go back to netsource cos it's the best bang for buck option atm.

Upgrading to ISDN to get the line test done is just too much money. FFS I could easily walk into their exchange and do the necessary adjustments there if it wasn't for the pair of massive steel and wooden gates, damn medieval technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by STaN
    Go to Eircom's DSL division and see if they will install. If so go with that.

As far as i know you can request you line be fixed if you have a fault.

Also there is the option of upgrading to ISDN and then getting a DSL test now. ISDN needs an error free line AFAIK.

just a note what if the line itself has no fault (as in my case) and it still fails, does that mean its sup par cabling and could something be done about that

regards
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

If your line failed cause of distance/quality and your phone is perfectly fine for making phonecalls, there really isn't much you can do.

If you're in the city center, your best bet is to just look into wireless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I have isdn, yet still my line fails. (after being passed twice for that matter)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Originally posted by Truckle
    I have isdn, yet still my line fails. (after being passed twice for that matter)

Since shinzon and my posts about being failed after being originally passed.. Ive noticed a growing number of people who have had the same/similar experiences.. Something has got to be up if we were all passed originally and when RADSL technology started (which was meant to increase distance) many failed..

I wonder how many people here were failed originally for ADSL (i-solo/esat dsl) and were passed and now have (or in the process) of getting some form of RADSL package..

Originally posted by vac
    If your line failed cause of distance/quality and your phone is perfectly fine for making phonecalls, there really isn't much you can do.

If you're in the city center, your best bet is to just look into wireless..

only half a mile from exchange, wireless to expensive, must be the fing line then, ah well theres a meeting of dermot ahernes department with eircom next week might get some results then

regards
    shin

Originally posted by Synkronite
    Since shinzon and my posts about being failed after being originally passed.. Ive noticed a growing number of people who have had the same/similar experiences.. Something has got to be up if we were all passed originally and when RADSL technology started (which was meant to increase distance) many failed..

I wonder how many people here were failed originally for ADSL (i-solo/esat dsl) and were passed and now have (or in the process) of getting some form of RADSL package..

i agree totally with this statement, how can i pass esats 90 euro and 60 euro product, pass originally with eircom and now cant get anything at all from anyone

Somethings rotten in the eircom barrell

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

There is no reason for a normal line half a mile from an exchange to fail. Ask what test has been done, and ask to see the result. Yes/No is not a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Also failed the RADSL and am on ISDN. Well netsource failed me, but this was when apaprently most ISDN lines failed cos of some error in the database. (or some poster said sommet liek that. will try again tomoz with all the providers and see)

Just as a matter of interest, any one know where the Dun Laoghaire exchange is? Did a search but only found a few exchange where ppl mentioned where they were. If its there somewhere feel free to tell me to look again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would not advise upgrading an existing line in the hope of qualifying for DSL. It is the physical piece of copper that needs to pass the test and this does not change if you upgrade.

If you are positive you are on a splitter, then it might be worth considering because ISDN can't operate over a splitter, so there is a chance it might work.

In this instance Netsource are quite correct in blaming Eircom.

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    There is no reason for a normal line half a mile from an exchange to fail. Ask what test has been done, and ask to see the result. Yes/No is not a result.

flav your preaching to the masses m8, all they said is its failing i ask them for an explantion, usual distance line quality excuses, they cant tell why its failed just its failed, in my opinion they just dont know, there tied to the database and thats it

regards

SHin

Don't they automatically 'fail' ISDN? Because they won't do both, and you have to downgrade from ISDN to POTS before dsl?

Isn't someone persueing(?) the regulator about the line test mechanism? Shin?

As regards Netsource accepting what Eircom tell them - don't they want your business enough to try a bit harder? Ah, it's early days yet, people will take the easy options first, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    Don't they automatically 'fail' ISDN? Because they won't do both, and you have to downgrade from ISDN to POTS before dsl?
    I thought they could test ISDN lines for suitability but you had to downgrade to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

quite a lot I'd say, I'm one of them. I know why my line was failing before. ATEN is 53db on my line, which would of failed under Adsl tests

Originally posted by ando
    quite a lot I'd say, I'm one of them. I know why my line was failing before. Signal to Noise ratio is 53db on my line, which would of failed under Adsl tests

how did you know the noise to signal ration then

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

sorry shin, i meant aten. Its on my router's web interface

Originally posted by ando
    sorry shin, i meant aten. Its on my router's web interface

nps

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

quite a lot I'd say, I'm one of them. I know why my line was failing before. ATEN is 53db on my line, which would of failed under Adsl tests

This was the stat I was looking for. When the line got installed less than 3 weeks ago, I asked the engineer to do a line test for DSL but unfortunately he said he didn't know anything about it. Gonna call eircom tomorrow morning and get it checked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I know that this is without doubt paranoia of the highest order, but what chance is there theat Eircom simply hasnt re-tested IDSN lines since fitting the filters, or whatever it was that they needed to test them. If what the drones on the phones were right (which I greatly doubt), then the fail coutns for good as far as eircom is concerned. Just a tired thought.

Anywho, for a more realistic and pertinent question, why is it that it is not possible for us to be told the specific reasons for our lines failing? Maybe its just me, but if I was told specifically which of the tests my line failed, and by how much, I'd be a lot more likely to accept it, than being told I might be out of range, or the copper in my area might be crap. Especially since both of those reasons are incorrect in my area, despite what they try to tell me.

In England, from what I was reading, it is possible to ring a number, which prompts a call to your line which can give a rough measure of the distance from the exchange (based on delay?). Its also possible to find out which test you failed, etc etc.

Why can't we get this sort of basic service?

Originally posted by qwertyup
    I know that this is without doubt paranoia of the highest order, but what chance is there theat Eircom simply hasnt re-tested IDSN lines since fitting the filters, or whatever it was that they needed to test them. If what the drones on the phones were right (which I greatly doubt), then the fail coutns for good as far as eircom is concerned. Just a tired thought.

Anywho, for a more realistic and pertinent question, why is it that it is not possible for us to be told the specific reasons for our lines failing? Maybe its just me, but if I was told specifically which of the tests my line failed, and by how much, I'd be a lot more likely to accept it, than being told I might be out of range, or the copper in my area might be crap. Especially since both of those reasons are incorrect in my area, despite what they try to tell me.

In England, from what I was reading, it is possible to ring a number, which prompts a call to your line which can give a rough measure of the distance from the exchange (based on delay?). Its also possible to find out which test you failed, etc etc.

Why can't we get this sort of basic service?

Were about as likely to get that service as bush and osama becoming best buddies, its just not going to happen ever, i have repeatedly asked why my line has failed, all i get is the same crap they spew to everyone, I seriously doubt eircom really knows why its failed

Regards
    Shin

Hey Shin.. hehe...
    Funny thing.. Wireless Internet (Amocom) in Cork passed me and I was all about to get their (overpriced) 256/256Kbps for e72/month.. and so I ring EsatBT to just check if I can get DSL (As they sent me something in their mail..) and they go "Yes, you can." Hmm.. So they have sent me out the form. I then ring Eircom for the hell of it.. and err.. "Yes you pass for both ADSL and RADSL" Huh? And they were willing to set me up over the phone and have the self-install pack sent out to me.. more Huhs? and are you sure? So then I ring netsource, and yes, I can get ADSL.

So now what do I do.. I have 4 broadband providers waiting for my money!!

Stupid eircom. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Where are you based Synkronite, if you don't mind me asking?

adam

Hey Shin.. hehe...
    Funny thing.. Wireless Internet (Amocom) in Cork passed me and I was all about to get their (overpriced) 256/256Kbps for e72/month.. and so I ring EsatBT to just check if I can get DSL (As they sent me something in their mail..) and they go "Yes, you can." Hmm.. So they have sent me out the form. I then ring Eircom for the hell of it.. and err.. "Yes you pass for both ADSL and RADSL" Huh? And they were willing to set me up over the phone and have the self-install pack sent out to me.. more Huhs? and are you sure? So then I ring netsource, and yes, I can get ADSL.

Stupid eircom. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

hmm, i wonder if i rang eircom and siad to em that im signing up for esat would they pass my line then lol

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Haggle!

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Where are you based Synkronite, if you don't mind me asking?

adam

Telephone line is on the Douglas Exchange..

I live up in Parkgate (If you're ever on the Grange/Frankfield Rd it's opposite the church) My house is in the middle, no houses infront, just a nice view of Cork city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by shinzon
    only half a mile from exchange, wireless to expensive, must be the fing line then, ah well theres a meeting of dermot ahernes department with eircom next week might get some results then

regards
    shin
    Are you saying wireless is too expensive? If you are in the City centre then IrishBroadband is only €45 or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Synkronite. You coulda got in months ago guy. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The reason why you arent told why your line had failed is that:

a. The biddys dont know.
    b. The management dont tell the biddys because:
    c. If you knew what was wrong, you'd want it fixed.

DeV.

Advertisement