Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking a XP2800 Barton to ~2.3Ghz advice

Options
  • 25-05-2003 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Looking for a quiet powerful solution.

I will be looking to overclock to the tune of ~2.4Ghz

The setup will be:

XP 2800+ Barton @ 2.083Ghz 333Mhz FSB
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    2 * TwinMOS 512mb PC 2700 (333Mhz) in dual channel mode CL2
    Asus Geforce 4 Ti4600 128Mb
    40Gb Primary Hd ATA-133
    200Gb Secondary Hd ATA-100
    400W power supply

Firstly how should i go about tweaking the above for preformance and what cooling should i get. The PC is currently VERY loud. I think this is due to the gfx card and power supply (dual fan).

There are 4 frontal slots for case fans. 2 at the rear and one at the side over the mother board.

What combination if any case fans should be used, what power supply (silent?) and what heatsink fan.

Should i go for some sort of memory or gfx card cooling also.

Starting this here, as apposed to the thread in Technology

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I put this yoke on my Ti4600, bloody great, completely silent. Im not sure how high the 2800 il go but my 2500 is running at 2.1Ghz right now (200*10.5) Maybe it could go higher, I just havnt tried yet.
    Sell that cooler in peats for €48.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Ok the project begins.

I've been encouraged to photo document the modding and overclocking which i will do.

Started by ordering

The above hardware.

The WaterChill KT03

The Akasa AK-171 Copper RAM Heatsinks

and the Zalman ZM80A-HP Silent Heat pipe VGA cooler

from here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by STaN

Firstly how should i go about tweaking the above for preformance and what cooling should i get. The PC is currently VERY loud. I think this is due to the gfx card and power supply (dual fan).

Well, the first thing you should do is confirm where the noise is coming from. Many ways of doing so, but a quick way would be to put your finger on the center of the fan briefly to slow down and stop it (prolly not good for the fan, but who cares?). CPU Heatsink fans tend to be noiser than GFX and PSU fans. Infact, Ive never heard any PSU I would call "noisey".

I have a Watercooled dual Tbred at 2.4GHz SMP system, the radiator is double the thickness of that one and requires pretty hefty cooling to work. The end result is that Water cooling can still be pretty noisey.

Run your big fans at 7v to kill some of the noise.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi Stan,

sorry but why haven't you spend another 40.- Euros to get yourself a watercooling for the graphics card?

I don't think it makes much sense to water cool the CPU and aircool the GPU.

Our tests have shown that you should install one case fan (80mm, silent one) that points in the direction to the ZM80 to get a good cooling efficiency. Without a fan the GPU gets very hot.

So you install a watercooling and still need at least two fans in your case (except you have a silent power supply).

jow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

What you could do is get some rubber bushels (washers) to put between your fan and case. It could help reduce vibrations that can be amplified through the metal of the case.
    A fairly simple and cheap solution possibly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement