Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update Database

Options
  • 25-05-2003 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im currently developing a website with ASP and MYSql, im doing it at home on my own computers. Now what i want to know is, when i get hosting for the site how do i upload the actual Database, i dont meant the tables and layout but the information as well. Is there a way to output it to a tab delimted file and then import it on the hosting server, do hosts allow that.

Its fine at the moment if i can only upload the tables but its a pain if i add stuff to the DB then find i cant upload the entire thing and i have to start off from scratch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It will depend on who you choose for your hosting. You should contact your webhost directly and ask them.

HTH

Blacknight

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

So your saying that theoretically it is possible to upload the entire MySQL DB to the host.
    I know your a host and you cant talk about your own service but how would someone go about this and what process is involved, i always thought this wasnt an option in MySQL for some reason but i said id better ask to be sure.
    So if you were to go about doing this how is it done ?

If you are using MySQL you can dump the database to a textfile
    and then import the textfile into the database.

Have a look at phpmyadmin to see what I mean

HTH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

We use MYSQL-Front for managing our MYSQL databases and ODBC data sources for Importing/Exporting them to/from the MYSQL server.

MYSQL front has features for importing/exporting data, and best of all its free :)

http://mysqlfront.sstienemann.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

we had problems with our hosting provider with mysal front - its a great application just check with your hosting provider first to make sure they will support you when you use it!

• Advertisement

There is definitely more than one way to approach this problem, but you might be better off checking with your host

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Originally posted by tomED
    we had problems with our hosting provider with mysal front - its a great application just check with your hosting provider first to make sure they will support you when you use it!

Myself and blacknight touched on this previously in another thread.
    By default, most hosting providers will set up the user that has access to your mysql database to only allow connections from the local server, or a specified IP address if the database and web server are different.

That means that you would have to ask your provider to set up another user with access from your fixed Internet access IP address or from any IP if you use dial up/no fixed IP address.

MySQL-Front is a handy tool, particularly if you want to run queries that you don't want phpMyAdmin to append "Limit 0,30" to!

Ronan

Advertisement