Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well Done Rangers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Scottish
    On a lighter note, the last time Scotland played at Lansdowne, OUR fans were booing the Rangers players. Probably has something to do with the high percentage of Partick Thistle fans in the Tartan Army. We do like a joke at our own expense, and it defused the potential for any trouble that night (or so I seem to remember, although I was very very drunk).

Hmm... I was there. The chants I remember were going backwards and forwards between the Irish and Scottish fans and concerned who hated the English more. "We hate the English more than you..." ... "No you don't!" ... "Yes we do!" ... "No you don't!" ... "Yes we do!" (etc.) - ... all joking of course... all in the best possible taste (!)...

Football just attracts that hooligan element sometimes. Doesn't stop it from being about 100 times better than rugby :)

That's debatable... Can't we just agree that they're 'different' and neither one needs to be 'better'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think people in this country need to understand that being catholic and being irish are two completely different things. im not a catholic myself but am proud to be irish. i like to display my dunfermline jersey the odd time. one time a drunking celtic labelled me a disgrace to my country 4 not following celtic. ppl like WWM are very rare. I have NEVER come across a rangers fan in the republic of ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by DeVore
    Well said therecklessone. I hate it when people force you to reevaluate them :)

DeV.

Yeah, i didn't do myself any favours with the "wreck the shop" post back then, did I? ;)

For what its worth, I've found myself changing my opinion of you since then as well.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

I've been to Parkhead,
    The only soccer team i support in england is Rushden & Diamonds in Championship Manager,
    I was at the majority of Limerick City FC Home matches last year,
    I have said nothing inflamatory on this thread yet.
    I get drunk and shout abuse at the tv during matches, i'm sorry but can you not do that in a pub? I'd shout abuse at the tv no matter what team was playin either, sure i don't like to see rangers winning, i don't like to see that cause i support celtic, when a someone comes on here, supposedly incapable of being warned or even hinted at being banned despite obvious trolls whenever a celtic thread is put up, i get pi$$ed off at that too, hell it was even implied that i could have been banned for my last post on this thread, which carried a minor personal insult (sorry gandalf)
    Some celtic supporters are woeful fu ckin dic kheads, i know a good few retards who were supportin celtic all the way through the uefa cup, until they met liverpool, then it was a case of, 'celtic are a brutal team with only one player anyway' that argument, i seem to be repeating myself countless times, but it is sh!t.

Larsson is absolutely World Class,
    Hartson is a great striker, little unfit, but would definitely be worth his place on a top 5 premier team,
    Petrov is World Class, captaining his country since he was only 21
    Lambert was world class, not much left in his legs, but his footballing brain is brilliant,
    Agathe, what more needs to be said, a wonder on the wing, would be worth £20 million if he was playing in the premier.
    Balde has come on in leaps and bounds to become a near world-class defender, still is a bit raw but can become one of the greats.
    Sutton is a great player who got screwed over at chelsea.
    Maloney, great young player.
    M O'Neill, the best manager in europe (Bar Liam Kearns)

BTW i would rather be a stupid tim than a hippocritical admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Trojan
    b) no Big Chief, WWM is a Rangers fan, and has been as long as he's been around these boards, maybe a newbie like yourself may not realise that;
    Al.

damn Newbie chief, perhaps you did not know that WWM was a lifelong Rangers fan. I too am a noob, I thought that WWM was not really a Rangers fan partly because he said
    lets face it, no one actually watches or enjoys scottish football.
    the football itself has no redeeming features.
    and the supporters are all racist bigots.

Anyway, I do not support Celtic or Rangers, I do like to watch football and will watch it whenever it is on. Be it Scottish, Irish, Maltese or Namibian, I couldn't care less. Fair play to rangers for winning the league, they obviously deserved it because they won, that's how leagues work, the winners win it and everybody else loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by thebhoy

Larsson is absolutely World Class,
    Hartson is a great striker, little unfit, but would definitely be worth his place on a top 5 premier team,

Gotta disagree with you there. If hes world class, then wheres the proof? I think larsson is a great player but unfortunatly like so many others he will never be able to prove it.

You are quite frankly wrong about Hartson. He was released by a top 5 premier team and he was also released by a premiership club who have now been relegated. He didnt impress at either club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Great finish to the Season,good advertisment for Scottish football,so congrats Rangers.

It sad in this day and age people can't just enjoy a football match and congratulate the better team without bringing up aload of out of date political Bullshìt.

Grow up people and lets not be having this argument again and again for the next twenty years,theres already enough thick headed catholics and protestants in northern Ireland that have been doing it long enough.

Ps WWMAN your gay :)

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Fair play to rangers for winning the league, they obviously deserved it because they won, that's how leagues work, the winners win it and everybody else loses.

That was my point above. Rangers won it because of a certain ruleset. There is no way that they aimed for this ruleset from the onset of the league. If a seperate ruleset were chosen (such as results from previous meetings) then Celtic would have won. Both teams deserved it and were equally good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Dustaz
    If a seperate ruleset were chosen (such as results from previous meetings) then Celtic would have won. Both teams deserved it and were equally good.
    Thats kind of like how they would set it out in rugby - is that what you really want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    ppl like WWM are very rare. I have NEVER come across a rangers fan in the republic of ireland.

WWM doesn't live in the Republic of Ireland. I actually have never seen an Irish Rangers supporter living in Ireland. I wouldn't say there is any unless there father is one or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by eireboy
    WWM doesn't live in the Republic of Ireland. I actually have never seen an Irish Rangers supporter living in Ireland. I wouldn't say there is any unless there father is one or something like that.

Exactly. You don't know any so they obviously don't exist :rolleyes:

Thats my point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Thats my point!

I think that "you're" missing the point there Eireboy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah he did live in the Republic and moved to the UK in last few years. And I'll go over and interogate the woman in my office whose husband is a Rangers supporter and find out why he isn't supporting a irish team like Celtic will I :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I saw one once, it was an ethnic smelly:D but its ma was from Athlone and brought the smelly offspring back with her........it were wearing a Rangers 2nd strip shirt with McEwans written in REALLY BIG letters on it and it and its thick ma was walking up Connaught St in Athlone which is like skanger ma walking her Rangers shirt clad sprog up the middle of Dorset St like.

As it was aged about 14, I took its mother to task and told her not to let the smelly offspring walk up that way and her from the town.......because both of them could have been killed FFS . I implored her to keep the public wearing of the Rangers strip to south Dublin where they still like to call the docks Kingston and where Kevin Myers is from. He'd be grand there. Meanwhile put a jacket on.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    I saw one once, it was an ethnic smelly:D but its ma was from Athlone and brought the smelly offspring back with her........it were wearing a Rangers 2nd strip shirt with McEwans written in REALLY BIG letters on it and it and its thick ma was walking up Connaught St in Athlone which is like skanger ma walking her Rangers shirt clad sprog up the middle of Dorset St like.

As it was aged about 14, I took its mother to task and told her not to let the smelly offspring walk up that way and her from the town.......because both of them could have been killed FFS . I implored her to keep the public wearing of the Rangers strip to south Dublin where they still like to call the docks Kingston and where Kevin Myers is from. He'd be grand there. Meanwhile put a jacket on.

M

Why didn't you just come on and say ban me please ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i know a number of rangers supporters in ireland, and funnily enough, not all of them were southside protestants.

one was a good country fella from meath who supported rangers because he thought they played great football.

there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

quote:

I was at the old firm game @ parkhead last october and there was a big dirty "Dublin Loyal" union jack a flying, got right up my nose (irrational as that may seem)

So there must be a few , although they are probably southside protestants

I believe there is one in Moate too. The Moate one doesnt walk around skangery bits of Athlone in Broad Daylight wearing the shirt though.

Two good mates of mine in London were Rangers fans from Scotland. The only row we ever had about religion was a big drunken argument over whether Nick Cave was a Prod or Taig, based on his song lyrics.

Scottish football is crap, not worth arguing over unless you are Scottish.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by thebhoy
    I have said nothing inflamatory on this thread yet.

Rofl! I recall someone calling a certain soccer mod a bum chum.

Anyway, in my school (well, i've just finished) there is a rangers supporter. Frankly I think he does it to be controversial. But its sad when people ask him why he supports rangers. Imo there is as much an reason as supporting Celtic. Half the ppl in Ireland, support celtic because they think they should.
    Also Im sure alot more ppl would support rangers if they didnt think their head would be kick in by Celtic fans.

I never really got the whole Celtic vs Rangers thing myself, seems to be a Northside thing (not a bad thing btw), just not very popular where IM from.

Oh btw, the rangers fan in my school, was cheering them on when he heard the result in a night club so fair fúcks to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Muck
    I believe there is one in Moate too. The Moate one doesnt walk around skangery bits of Athlone in Broad Daylight wearing the shirt though.

I'm not too sure if many of the local lads would recognise a Rangers jersey. Even Connaught and Buccaneers jerseys get a funny look around this town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Just got me thinking there about the whole “Gotta support Celtic if you’re Irish” thing. I was recently down t’pub with a friend, and a Celtic match happened to be on, can’t remember which one but it was one of the European matches.
    Now this pub is quite a small pub but it’s a big “Celtic” pub, with the walls plastered in posters, jerseys, Larson is God and O’Neil is the greatest thing since sliced bread paraphernalia. Now in the pub on that night there were all your usual Celtic supporters and a guy I know quite well, we’ll call him “H”.
    Now H is, not to put too fine a point on it, is an A*sehole. He just loves to wind people up, and even though he’s a regular in this pub he chooses to “support” (and I use this term loosely) Rangers (his choice!!). Now it’s obvious to everyone that the reason he chooses to support Rangers is to wind everyone up (big shout out to WWM). The unfortunate thing about this is that most, if not all of the Celtic supporters in this pub fall for his wind-ups EVERY time, and the only reason he winds them up is because of the responses he gets.
    But getting back to my original point about “Irishness” being called into question. On this particular night the winding up got a wee bit out of hand and the pub owner had to step in to stop a fight from ensuing!!! Fighting over football…..soooooo eighties!!!
    :rolleyes:
    But the thing that annoyed me the most about that night was the fact that the Celtic fans were questioning H’s Irishness because he didn’t support Celtic, like c’mon WTF?? He’s betraying his country because he hasn’t pledged his allegiance to a SCOTTISH team!!! And as an Irishman I found this quite offensive. Now I totally accept that there is an Irish connection with Celtic what with it being founded by an Irish priest, but as pointed out earlier in this thread, is AC Milan an English team because it was founded by some English men?!?! And the comment about the Argentinean Navy was quite amusing too.
    Another amusing point that was made a couple of times was something along the lines of “ya wouldn’t wear your Rangers jersey on O’Connell St. would ya?” Do I even have to point out what’s wrong with that??? Please tell me that I don’t!!! Next you’ll be telling me that English tourists should be banned from wearing the jersey of their country in Ireland!! Cead Mile Failte my A*se!!!
    Over the past few years I’ve learned it’s nigh on pointless arguing with Celtic supporters because anything that’s contrary to their beliefs about “The Greatest Club in Scotland” results in the argument turning aggressive, and indeed it’s this point that has been so proven in this thread.
    On a closing note, it may sound like I’m getting at Celtic supports but I’m not, I just think that anybody should be allowed to support any SCOTTISH team that they want to as long as they remember to be civil to anybody else that has decided to support a different SCOTTISH club and don’t confuse a bit of winding up with an invitation to a millyup!!!

Tee Hee, theres a good skit on Dangerhere.com at the moment detailing Bertie Aherns reasons why, as Irish people, we should all support Panathinaikos.

Also he commiserates them for narrowly missing out on the league by goal difference to Olympiakos.

Pure Genius.

...you are free to walk anywhere in Ireland wearing a Rangers jersey without me bothering you by telling you if you are walking into a hotbed of Celtic fans or Skangers or Both.

It is entirely your choice and good luck with the local skangers coz I personally wouldn't go near them without a Glock 9mm in me back pocket and a spare clip and thats in daylight :D

I would need a Glock in each hand and a crotchfull of ammo if I showed up in Scotland in wearing an Irish jersey even if it was an Irish Rugby jersey. The skangers in the 'schemes' in Scotland are as well qualified as ours any day.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Benbaz has summed up my opinions on the topic to a tee with that post. Pity not everyone is as broad minded and puts football first.

*pat on the back for Benbaz*;)

• Advertisement

In Manchester United = Catholic while City = Prod .
    In Liverpool Liverpool = Prod while Everton = Catholic.
    some wel known Dutch clubs had the same sectarian provenance.

It was strong within living memory but it has died out in those cities and in those clubs and among the supporters for a long time.

It will completely die out in Glasgow too...by the end of 2007 or maybe early in 2008. The Scots are a notoriously broad minded and tolerant people so its no surprise that. More of us should become Rangers fans to "Encourager les Autres" as Napoleon said.

M

Originally posted by Benbaz

Now H is, not to put too fine a point on it, is an A*sehole. He just loves to wind people up, and even though he’s a regular in this pub he chooses to “support” (and I use this term loosely) Rangers (his choice!!). Now it’s obvious to everyone that the reason he chooses to support Rangers is to wind everyone up (big shout out to WWM). The unfortunate thing about this is that most, if not all of the Celtic supporters in this pub fall for his wind-ups EVERY time, and the only reason he winds them up is because of the responses he gets.

quiet ironically, i recently was on the receiving end of a verbal in a pub from a liverpool fan.
    i was watching a european match where liverpool got knocked out of the uefa cup.
    i got a verbal for supporting the 'other' team.
    i wonder who that was.

mind you, i did have a tenner on celtic to win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Customer: "Jayzuz, Celtic were fierce unlucky not to win the league, weren't they?"

Me: "I suppose they were. Only 2 goals in it. That's as close as I've seen it but, eh, it's their tough luck. Rangers did well to win the league."

Customer: "Ah but Celtic should have done it really, like, in fairness, like."

Me: "I dunno. The best team won - that's how leagues work, in fairness... but, to be honest, I don't really care. I don't support either of them."

Customer: "Huh? You don't support Celtic? But you're Irish! Of course you support them!"

Me: "Ah no, I'm Irish, - I support Ireland. Pretty well too, actually, I go to all the home mat..."

Customer: *farts* "Yeah yeah yeah, sure, sure ... Give us another Heineken there, willya?"

I know this point has been made before, but its amazing the extent to which we can ignore the Irish league and then claim that we should all support Celtic because we are Irish.

Celtic and Rangers aside the Irish league must be at least as good as the Scottish. With the kind of passion and support that is given to those two the Irish league would greatly benifit.

Oh well, the irony is lost on me, I'm just going to continue to support Liverpool:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Support Partick Thistle - the secular Glasgow Club...

My general perception (keeping in mind that all generalisations, including this one, are very dangerous) is that many Irish Celtic fans support Celtic out of some misplaced nationalism or through tradition. None of them can say that they are attracted by the quality of the football (Neil 'pieman' Lennon huffing and puffing up and down a pitch? Fat Bald John Hartson and his wobbling goalscoring belly?) The glamour of the league? Ha ha... european nights to remember? When was the last time (apart from the obvious) that a scottish team did well in Europe? The SPL is a joke - for the 3rd time running no-one gets relegated because the top team in Div 1 isn't let in cos their ground is not up to scratch? What's that about? A total ongoing useless joke. Imagine being a Falkirk supporter and having to deal with that?

There were many posts about Irish rangers supporters not existing. Can you blame that? ANYONE wearing a rangers jersey for a pub match would be butchered. At the least verbally intimidated. Is that the way Celtic supporters want to be percieved? That they are so intolerant? And please don't come back with the 'most Celtic supporters aren't bigoted' claptrap. You are your collective - and the collective is ugly. Drunken, mornic baboons. And the Rangers troglodytes are just as bad as you.

Support a team for reasons other than bigotry, misplaced nationalism or tradition. Or at least recognise these very serious problems in the majority of your fanbase.

Support Partick Thistle.

Or failing that, Man City. Founded by the son of an Irish protestant landowner, we kept our Catholic City rivals (ManUre) down for as long as we could.... damn libertine thinking! Damn it to hell I say! You give them an inch...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Killah_B
    Support Partick Thistle.

Or failing that, Man City. Founded by the son of an Irish protestant landowner, we kept our Catholic City rivals (ManUre) down for as long as we could.... damn libertine thinking! Damn it to hell I say! You give them an inch...

Hear hear. Partick it is....the only colours you can wear in a Glasgow pub normally.

Shame about those Fenian Bastards, Newton Heath, doing so well. It would sicken anyone.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

The word "Fenian" does not literally mean catholic. it means someone who uses military force to pursue their republican ideals. i doubt there was ever a newton heath branch of the IRB.

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    The word "Fenian" does not literally mean catholic. it means someone who uses military force to pursue their republican ideals. i doubt there was ever a newton heath branch of the IRB.
    Newton Heath were always over rated, they just talk a lot of b ullshi t, they probably claim they were at the GPO in 1916:) - how come there is so many nighthoods going their direction, sir booby and sir alco - outstanding achievement my f**ger. Kenny Dalglish won the double in his first year as manager but unfortunately he used to play for Celtic.

Newton Heath ruined my life. It's not even that they're catholic (although thats bad enough - you know they eat their children?) its that they're so goddamn SMUG...

AND...

...most of their fans don't know what they're talking about when it comes to fitbah...

Is it just their children that they eat?, cos I heard that they eat their pets as well!

I hear in times of extreme stress, they even eat their own S*it, like insane zoo animals.

Personally, I just want to make them eat humble pie. Forever.

Relegation. That'd really test their metal...

Or possibly even rust their metal. It would be nice if the whole club sank into the boggy land that it is built on.

Well done Rangers - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Well said Killah B - I've been supporting the Jags since I was a nipper. Never a dull moment, even if our finest 90 minutes took place the year I was born (4-1 winners in the League Cup Final against the Lisbon Lions - celtic bought half the team the following season).

The clubs song is a classic:

(Sung to the tune of The Red Flag)

Hello hello how do you do,
    We hate the boys in royal blue,
    we hate the boys in emerald green,
    so f*ck the pope and f*ck the queen.

Go on the Thistle

That will be three cups then.

i dont really think there can be any doubt now in anyones mind who are the best team in scotland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

Why are Celtic sometimes referred to as "The Bhoys" with that H. I'm just a casual observer who is amused by it, and i'm not very concerned with the scottish premiere league or who wins it. Just amused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

SPL = a joke!!

winning the league on goal difference is not fair, in Spain its the HEAD TO HEAD record that is is judged by. much better.

You'll Never Walk alone = Liverpools song ---- not celtics!!!

Originally posted by VinnyL

winning the league on goal difference is not fair, in Spain its the HEAD TO HEAD record that is is judged by. much better.

why isnt it fair?

i mean, everyone starts off the same, shouldnt the team with the best record be the champions?

Originally posted by frood4t2
    Why are Celtic sometimes referred to as "The Bhoys" with that H. I'm just a casual observer who is amused by it, and i'm not very concerned with the scottish premiere league or who wins it. Just amused.
    Why are Celtic called the Bhoys? asks Dan Reid

"That's quite an old one", said Celtic's helpful press officer, who admitted he wasn't able to give a definitive answer to our question but would give it a good shot.

The first tangible bit of evidence the club have for their strange nickname is a postcard from the turn of the century which refers to the Celtic team of the time as "the bould bhoys" (sic). It is thought the extra letter in "boys" was added to phonetically represent the Irish pronunciation of the word, with a soft inflection of the h.

The writer of the postcard didn't coin the nickname as such ? the team were known to many as the "bold boys" soon after the club was founded in 1888. But whoever the scribe was is widely credited with the unique spelling, and deserves the thanks of anyone who has had to write a back-page headline for a Glasgow newspaper in the past 100 years or so. Not to mention us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    why isnt it fair?

i mean, everyone starts off the same, shouldnt the team with the best record be the champions?

you think it is fair?? and if goal difference is level, then it goes on goals scored!! thats even more of a joke your penalising the team because they have a good defence!

the best record should be the most wins then, not the most goals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

why isnt it fair?

Rangers - Played 38 - Won 32 - Drew 4 - Lost 2

Celtic - Played 38 - Won 32 - Drew 4 - Lost 2

i however agree with the comment of
    if goal difference is level, then it goes on goals scored!! thats even more of a joke your penalising the team because they have a good defence!

a few friends back in glasgow were saying how much the sfa wanted to avoid a play off though, to try and stop any violence erupting, as pointless as it seems, sad enough its true :(

no point crying over spilt milk now though, this has probably been one of the best seasons ive seen celtic play, its just a pity we have nothing to show for it...

Originally posted by VinnyL
    you think it is fair?? and if goal difference is level, then it goes on goals scored!! thats even more of a joke your penalising the team because they have a good defence!

the best record should be the most wins then, not the most goals!

of course, it should go on some reason where celtic should have won.

perhaps the team who got more throw ins during the season?

maybe the team with less yellow cards should win?

surely if your team has a good defense, you wont let any goals in?
    but at the same time, a football team involves more than just a defence, it invloves several other players on the pitch.

stop whinging for god sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

of course, it should go on some reason where celtic should have won.

Well that doesn't make much sense.He said it should be decided by the number of wins - if you look at the table Celtic/Rangers have the exact same win/lose/draw results so that wouldn't mean Celtic would win - at least check before decided to proclaim someone totally biased.

In any case Rangers won on goal difference and i'm comfortable with GD being used to decide things - takes both attack/defence into account.Goals scored were not needed so that bull**** never came up (except here).Rangers won the Spl becuase they had a goal difference that was superior by one goal - thats the facts so might as well get over it.

I really don't think you can then decide to say that Rangers are comprehensively the best team in Scotland.I really don't think that if you look at a league table you will see the teams in that league listed out in perfect order and i really dont believe that one goal difference makes one team better then the other.Its a whole different debate then statistics,we could argue about Celtics better defence of Rangers better attack all we like but talk is very very cheap.Doing the treble puts a little (lot) weight behind Rangers' claim to be the best SPL team but Celtic got to the final of the Uefa cup past two top 7 premiership clubs for christs sake - you'd think that would count for something (where have Rangers gone in Europe recently).

Basically the SPL is a joke.Coming into the last day all the talk was of Celtic needing to better Rangers result by a goal and everyone was wondering who would win by the most goals.Everyone knew for a fact that both teams would win and that both would win by a great margin,i dont think anyone actually considered that either of them could lose or draw.Even on television the comentators said things like "And Celtic need to score twice more here............and of course Dunfermline could do them a favour" - you could hear the lack of sincerety in his voice,he knew it wasn't going to happen. And i'm not suggesting that Rangers opposition laid down for them (i think both teams laid down equally).

Everyone knows the links between Celtic/Ireland/Catholics and Rangers/England/Protestants and all that and yeah to a big extent it is total bull**** but what about when a soccerfan gets beaten because of his religion (ie team).This guy i went to school with was at a match in Northern Ireland (cant remember the teams) and he got seriously beaten by a gang on rival supporters because he was a catholic and cheering for the wrong team - it happens on both sides.And this guy wasn't a guy who would support Celtic just becuase he was Irish (he does support them though) and he wouldnt be the type to go pick a fight with a group of little scumbags.Everyone knows neither team are little angels (Hugh Dallas' house getitng stoned,Neil Lennon getting beaten up).

And yeah i know theres all the @ssholes who can't name anyone else but Larsson on the team and yeah most Celtic supporters support them becuase thats the traditional thing for an Irish person to do (whether thats good or bad is a whole different rant) but i also think that most Rangers 'supporters' support them to be different. It's like the kid in the class who pretends to be a goth,or the asshole who butts into any conversation about any band under the sun and says "They suck,The Strokes are the only real band......man". Basically what i am getting at is that if you want to have a go at the Celtic fans who can't name the team then fair enough i'll join you but jesus you'd swear Irish Rangers fan's had a proper reason . The whole 'Irish=Catholic=Celtic supporter' attitude sucks without a doubt but ask someone in the protestant parts of the North who they support and your looking at the same situation - 'Protestant = Rangers'

This thread has just turned into a Celtic fan bashing session.To be honest i keep getting this mental image of the guys from King of The Hill standing in a line,one saying "Celtic fans sure do suck huh" and then the rest taking turns to say "Yup"

Man this thread sucks donkey balls, at least i've gotten my rant out of the way so i can go play Champ Man some more.

And breathe 2 3 4...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

That will be three cups then.

i dont really think there can be any doubt now in anyones mind who are the best team in scotland :)

Too right - well done Rangers on this noble achievement.

In response to some earlier comments, i know at least 3 rangers fans - none of whom are protestant. 2 of them have been lifelong fans for god knows what reason and are not just 'trying to be different'. Maybe the third one, dont know him well enough.

(ooh, just remembered i know one other rangers fan who is a northside protestant. Any other racist sterotypes suggested?)

As for the spl situation, in both spain and italy its a play off. Thats what it should be for a league that lasts for , what, 38 games?

Goal difference is meaningless over this length of time. The teams play at different times of the year, players are in and out via injurys etc. Weather factors and even refereeing decisions come into play when your talking about a goal difference of 1 at the end of the league.

It should be a play off.

• Advertisement

If Arsenal won the league on goal difference I would imagine it then to be a different story... It does not matter how ya do it, all along it was known the criteria for winning, it's not as if they just decided to do it a couple of days before then end of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement