Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the government doing with...

Options
  • 25-05-2003 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

i dont know much about the government in this country apart from them being a bit of a joke.
    what the hell are they doing with all the money
    Ireland is so behind in the times!!!

i dont want big long answers because im not gonna read them :)
    Just points wud be perfect :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

One example of wasted millions -

The government plan to spend over €60 million on new VIP jets which are not needed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spending money on LUAS when they could have bought a fleet of
    "bendy-buses" and got on with the Metro instead.

The Bertie Bowl fiasco, it wont be built but how many millions have been spent on reports, evaluations, etc?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Bertie has a huge staff. I think he has a stylist, and more advisors that Tony Blair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

don't forget much of public sector completely overstaffed with people who can't be fired most of the adverts before the election for the health sector was for admin staff not for doctors and nurses, if you manage in the private sector your workload just goes up and up whilst the privatre sector don't seem to understand the concept of value for money. (Sorry to anyone who works at the front line but your the ones taking the hit for overstaffing in the offices)
    i wonder if anyone has ever doena study on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by ednwireland
    i wonder if anyone has ever doena study on this ?

Don't be giving them ideas. They will just hire a bunch of PW consultants who will take six months to formulate a report which will result in the setting up of "An Bord Somethingorother" with 200 hundred employees and a palatial office and respponsibility for reviewing numbers, grades and staffing levels, which will then recommend..............

Anyway this discussion belongs in Politics, not Economics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i think it belongs in both

Correct, l3rian - Bertie has over 250 staff !!!
    In fact he has more staff and spin doctors than Tony Blair !

He also spends €18,000 a year on a stylist/makeup - when an expert said he could do it himself for €150 a year !

Agree about the Luas, mike65. It will cost over €1 billion by the time it is finished , and it will only carry 20,000 passengers a day.
    A fleet of buses, costing a fraction of this, would carry TWICE this amount !

Overstaffing - Yes, bigtime in govt depts.
    "Jobs for the boys" if you ask me.
    I believe the Dept of Defence has over 2000 civilian staff !!
    Thats 1 civil servant for ever 5 soldiers !

And then they wonder why they have no money for Search and Rescue helicopters !

(N.B. - I am a strong supporter of the Air Corps. They do great work with little thanks)

Rant over.

Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i also forgot to mention could you imagine any gov reforming the public sector which would inevitably lead to thousands of layoffs and sign your own relegation to the opposition benches and no doubt labour, FG would go on about how they would re-employ all these people
    fact of political life i guess

i still think they should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Silvera
    He also spends €18,000 a year on a stylist/makeup - when an expert said he could do it himself for €150 a year !
    Ah sure Celia has to make money somehow ;)
    Originally posted by Silvera
    I believe the Dept of Defence has over 2000 civilian staff !!
    Thats 1 civil servant for ever 5 soldiers !
    450 actually, plus 1,000 civilians attached to barracks - cooks, cleaners, etc. jobs previously done by soldiers, who can now get on with military duties.

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/0/103C057A04C71B3580256C610059A0A3/$file/csap.pdf

I stand corrected on the DoD staff numbers. I was obviously mis-informed on another board.

Silvera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Tiesto
    what the hell are they doing with all the money
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/news/feb03/mcc1125.htm

Govt waste more money......
    From Prime Time report on Health Service tonight:

Govt review of Childcare pay reccomends (after only a few days study of the subject !) that it will cost an additional €4.7 million per year to fund.

How much did it ACTUALLY cost ....... wait for it......
    €45-55 million per year !!!!

(i.e. Money wasted because of inadequate study of the subject by review group)

Advertisement