Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID songs please

Options
  • 25-05-2003 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Seeing as I dont remember a single full line googling is out of the question........
    In HMV in Grafon Street today there was a track playing which I really liked.It was a Dubliner with a female vocalist coming in on the chorus.At the risk of offending his fans if I am wrong I would honestly say it had a bit of a rapping style-the backing music wasnt really typical rap but his flow did sound quite like it.BTW there was guitar in the song.It was about the Celtic Tiger and how it leaves some behind,corrupt politicians and other social ills,at least from what I could hear of it anyway.
    I think the chorus went something like"Hear the celtic tiger roar"followe d by criticisms of its hypocracy and inequality.
    Seemed very fitting seeing as the economy is going pear shaped,there is a chart in yesterdays Indo listing the broken promises of Fianna Fail and comparing them to the truth,and the fact that today I saw more native Irish beggars and kids singing on the street than I have for many years.It was like going back ten years-there must have been a dozen around Grafton Street trying various methods of making cash such as singing,begging with children and even alerting people to parking spaces along the footpaths.

And also,another vague description,but I remember about 10 years odd ago,probably between 1991-1993 there was a song,sort of speed garage drum and bass maybe,which I liked(well,liked when I was 8 or 9 anyway :D But my older cousin liked it so what odds).He cant remember it,but it used to go booyaka booyaka-sha(as in the ali g phrase)in the chorus I think.Could have been Eddy Grant but I doubt it for some reason but I think the artist was a long haired west Indian.Which when talking about thissort of music doesnt narrow things down:( Thanks anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i'd guess damien dempsey
    possibly

http://www.damiendempsey.com/downloads.html

click the celtic tiger vid link ;)

ahhh it's ok i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Damien Dempsey, 'Celtic Tiger', yea, from 'Seize The Day', good album, some great tracks, notably, 'Negative Vibes', 'Ghost of Overdoses' and of course, 'Celtic Tiger'.

'It's All Good', the name of another good track on the album, was also on his last album, 'They Don't Teach This Shít In School', and is a better version of the song imo.

The backing vocalist on 'Seize The Day' is Sinead O'Connor.

Damien has been around for years and years, playing his own brand of quality home grown music and is finally getting some decent recognition. I recommend you go and buy it to check it out.

Luc

Advertisement