Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a Banner Ad Campaign - Where to start?

Options
  • 25-05-2003 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Ok - I'm starting to run a banner ad campaign for a company I've done a site for. Anyone got any experience in this? I don't.

Where should I start? Any links to sites that show figures on the most popular international and Irish sites that accept advertising?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Some of the info here is a little out of date, but it's not a bad place to start.

http://www.medialive.ie/internet/index.htm

Given the current state of the internet advertising market you could reasonable expect a significant discount on most advertisers listed rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

The first thing you should do is find out what your target market is.

For example - lets say your clients business was something to do with babies - if you were to post a banner on a gaming website you may well get some click-throughs but probably not the kind of visitor you want, as in, the visit is probably more curious about what the site is all about rather than actually going to buy something.

So once you have found your target market - then start looking for leading websites in that field. When you get a shortlist of sites start talking to people within these companies and ask about their statistics. Ask them for facts and not just figures from the top of their heards. Ask for unique visitor numbers and ask how popular their banners are. A reputable company should be able to tell you exaclty how many times the average banner is cliked on.

A banner ad on a site that has no relation to your target audience isn't a waste of time though. But all you will achieve is building up brand recognition. If thats what your aim is then post you ad on as many sites as you can!

I personally believe there is a better return from the likes of google adwords or the overture network. Depending on your keyphrases though this could become costly. But if noone else is using that keyphrase it may cost you very little.

65% of internet users start in search engines to find what they are looking for, so the returns are usually quite good. Each visitor will cost you on average €0.15. For my clients this system has been more successful for sales than any other type of advertising. But generally my clients tend to use banner advertising for building brand recognition and not to generate huge volumes of visitors.

hope that helped.

Advertisement