Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant study... need help

Options
  • 25-05-2003 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im in 5ht year and I know you mightnt think it to be such a big year.. but its getting me real depressed.. I just cant study .. I go to study .. and i just cant get into it.. i just stare at the books.. im completely lost.. now thats its near the end of the year I have tests comeing up.. and i still just cant study i just sem to stay away from it. I play alot of music.. perhaps to much alot of the times instead of doing the study I should be doing. Ive become pritty good at my music, and my music class is the only class Im doing well in. Im screwed for these test this summer I know that... but I really seriously want to be able to to knuckle down next year.. and im scared **** less that i wont be able to. Ye Mightnt understand.. you might think i dont care about the study and im a "waster" buts its not I DO want to study.. i just fecking cant!! Id be very greatfull for help.. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

When you study have a pen/biro in one hand and a pad of paper on the desk. Every time you read something worth knowing write it down.

Some people I know stick signs on their window saying "You won't pass by looking out here".

Also the most important thing to do is sit down with the books and start studying. But don't study for hours without a break, the last time I had serious amounts of study to do and not a lot of time to do it I did 50 minute stints followed by 10 mins of computer games.

I found I could do 8 hours a day plus, and I got really good at UT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

above info good :)

dont just sit there and try and read books, make timelines, summies etc...of ur courses/chapters/topics, try study that way. do "active" study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

A word of advice: Relax. 5th year in school is useful for preparation for 6th year, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

Follow the advice given above. It's good. (And Silent Bob has the results to prove it. :-)) If you enjoy music that much, you could replace the gaming in Silent Bob's technique with playing some music. On the other hand, if you do crap in your end-of-year exams then that'll probably kick start you for next year.

I have to admit, I seem to be having a similar problem. I'm in third year in college and for some reason this year I just haven't done much study. I'm in the middle of my exams at the moment and for whatever reason I just don't seem to be studying like I normally do. I've found it impossible to look at the material I need to learn until the last minute. So far the last minute cramming has saved me but I don't expect that good fortune to last.

Anyway, relax. At this stage you're probably having trouble studying due to the anxiety caused by not studying. Find the most interesting part of one of the subjects you aren't studying and start there. That could help start you off, even if it's only a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shouldnt this be on the college forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Silent Bob
    Some people I know stick signs on their window saying "You won't pass by looking out here".

Neither of us will pass by posting here Gordon. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    Neither of us will pass by posting here Gordon. :rolleyes:

You make a good point. Maybe a sign stuck on the monitor... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    shouldnt this be on the college forum?

"Lost" is in school?
    Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    Neither of us will pass by posting here Gordon.

Eh... don't you mean "None of us"? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Andrew Tanenbaum is providing late night eStudy cyber-solutions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

moved to Leaving Cert.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'm finished 6th year. 6 days til my Leaving Cert. I still havent studied. Go fig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Originally posted by CCCP^
    I'm finished 6th year. 6 days til my Leaving Cert. I still havent studied. Go fig?

lol me neither...the fact that my course dropped 50 pts in the last 2 weeks hasn't helped with the motivation either :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by adjodlo
    the fact that my course dropped 50 pts in the last 2 weeks hasn't helped with the motivation either :cool:

How did you find that out. I need 300 for a degree in Computer Science do you think that go up or down in points?

comp sci in DIT? That's my second choice and I heard a rumour about that course having dropped bout 20-30 points around christmas.

My first choice is Comp apps in DCU and I got a letter from them saying that the new minimum req was 300 pts down from 350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My choices are the other way around, first is CS in DIT, second is CA in DCU. Why did you pick DCU, I'm still not sure what I want to do and I need some advise.

why did you put the lower pts course above the higher?
    weird, my friend did the same thing....

I picked DCU cause DCU is nearer to my house, they're both pretty much the same course as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by adjodlo
    comp sci in DIT? That's my second choice and I heard a rumour about that course having dropped bout 20-30 points around christmas.

My first choice is Comp apps in DCU and I got a letter from them saying that the new minimum req was 300 pts down from 350.

Ah. My first choice is also this course, and yes, I had that letter. My first reaction was "Hot damn, I don't have to do *any* study!" but on rereading it...

I took it to the guidance councillor in school and asked her what she thought of it. Her interpretation is that it's just saying the minimum points will not drop below 300 no matter what, but that the actual points level for it is very likely to be in line with last year's.

Anyway, whatever it means, I'm taking it that nothing much has changed, and I'm still aiming for 380 or so.

As for study, in the last few days I've done a teeeny bit, but still nothing decent so far. In all the years I've been at school, I can't remember studying for more than a few hours in total. I get by fine in the things I have ability in, and what I don't have ability in gets no effort. I seem to have coasted on so far well enough, but erm, I'm pretty pessimistic about these exams. :)

A quick note to anyone still terrified of them - have a look at the timetable for it, a good look, and highlight all your exams. Draw a big fat line for the weekends. Count the exams.

It's not as big and scary as it seems, it really is pretty small, and will be over before we know it.

Here's a thought. The points for a course is based entirely on the demand for that course.

If there are 5 places for a course then the top 5 applicants for that course will be offered places and the points for that course will be set at the number of points that the 5th person got.

So it isn't actually possible for a courses points to have fallen yet. They aren't even calculated until the exam results have been worked out.

It may be possible that there are more places in offer which generally implies that the points will drop, but you might find that everybody who applies did brilliantly well and the points will rise.

Supply and demand, people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i also got that letter for CA in DCU. i interrupted it as the minimum points required to get into DCU...not specifically for CA. Maybe i'm wrong.

well I have the letter here in front of me and I can only assume that they have dropped the minimum due to the lack of interest in the course. They halfed the number of places last year and the points still dropped 15 points. Nobody wants anything to do with IT at this point in time. I expect most computer courses to drop at least 10-20 pts, and I'm assuming that's why they sent the letter...I mean, why create the confusion?

I quote,

"Your attention is drawn to the entry requirements for the programme. This represents a change to those indicated in the universaties publications"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

They probably just worked out that figure from the amount of people who applied for it in the CAO so far..

• Advertisement

good news for me then :)

its my first choice and i'm doing no work even though by this time next week i'll have finished my first exams. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

That letter caused me some confusion too so I emailed DCU asking them what the story is. This is the reply I got:

The 300 points is an indication of the minimum requirement for this course. If someone gets higher than this they could be offered the programme. There is no guarantee that you would automatically get a place on the programme with the minimum points.
    Regards
    The Registry

So 300 is the minimum points you need but I'd say you need around 350 to guarantee a place.

That said perhaps they sent out this letter because they are expecting to have to take on people with points around 300 to fill the course :confused:

in the letter it said the points were a change from "those indicated in the universities publications". What publications print points before the leaving cert??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

yay other ppl goin 2 dcu, thought i was the only 1 in the world not doing arts in galway

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    yay other ppl goin 2 dcu, thought i was tghe only 1 in the world not doing arts in galway

theres over 9000 people in DCU...you won't be alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

ya but dere all bleedin dubs!!
    ah well suppose by da end of da first week ill b a heroin addict wit aids and sars so woohoo summat 2 look forward to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ah jayzus, der all drugys up der in d big shmoke! dayed mug der grannys, its best to stay down ti d bog wer yer safe.:rolleyes:

fuck sake! i can't stand when people use mobile text leet speak...form real sentences! :)

and of course you'll be a heroin addict. once you enter the pale you don't have the ability to make your own choices and not take drugs.

this thread really has gone off in a tangent...

anyhoo, who here has put CA in DCU down as their first choice?

Originally posted by dave.c
    in the letter it said the points were a change from "those indicated in the universities publications". What publications print points before the leaving cert??

I assumed that what they were talking about here was the pts displayed in papers and stuff, but with everyone here sayin sumthin different I'm just confused now :confused:

anyways I suppose I'm just going to have to start cramming.

I only do 6 subjects, 3 before the weekend, 3 after, so it wont be too bad :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ugghhh I finish on the June 20th.

I cant wait that long to get another A ;)

Advertisement