Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Trial For New Broadband Delivery Mechanism, Tethered Balloons

Options
13»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Victor
    Mountains are fixed, tethered balloons / blimps are not quite so fixed. No mountain in Ireland is more than about 1,036m (3,400ft).
    These balloons would have to be fixed, they have directional dishes pointed at them! They are going to be pretty constrained as to how far they move, or they're just not going to work.

The point is that before they deploy them, the airspace where they are deployed is marked as hazardous and planes don't fly there. Even before the charts are updated, NOTAMs are sent out with details of new hazards. It's not going to be a problem.

Mind you, I'd be very curious to see details of exactly how they do go about stabilising them.
    Originally posted by Ballooba
    Just realised that they would have neutral bouyancy or whatever and would just float around at the same level.
    Neutral bouyancy wouldn't be possible without dynamically adjusting the lift as atmospheric pressure varies. It would be simpler to have positive lift and make sure the tether doesn't come undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

what would latency be like from one of these balloons?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is going to sound silly, but has anyone told someone in the Government about this? Do you know how long it would take one of them to discover this on their own?

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

what would latency be like from one of these balloons?

Logically, you'd asume it relates to the distance the radio wave has to travel (and presumably the legth of the wave), so I'm guessing it wouldn't be far off wireless, and a hell of a lot better than satellite.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by dahamsta

Logically, you'd asume it relates to the distance the radio wave has to travel (and presumably the legth of the wave), so I'm guessing it wouldn't be far off wireless, and a hell of a lot better than satellite.

Thanks...i was worrying that it would be like satellite and therfore useless to gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Personally, this sort of thing would worry me, what then Skylink???:eek:

hindenburg.jpg

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

This is going to sound silly, but has anyone told someone in the Government about this? Do you know how long it would take one of them to discover this on their own?

Distance should not really add any latency here, not really anyway. Latency across my wireless network is as low as 1.7ms. Depending on what technology they use, I am guessing this should may be similar. At the very least, it will be a hell of a lot lower than Eircom's inverleaved ADSL for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Personally, this sort of thing would worry me, what then Skylink???:eek:

hindenburg.jpg

:p
    Thats why most of them are filled with helium which puts out fires these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Thats why most of them are filled with helium which puts out fires these days.

Of course VoIP will have to be shifted down an octave in this case

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

[Logically, you'd asume it relates to the distance the radio wave has to travel (and presumably the legth of the wave),
    Um, just the distance, surely? I don't think the wavelength affects the speed of an electromagnetic wave?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Of course VoIP will have to be shifted down an octave in this case
    The blimp company will provide special software to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I don't think the wavelength affects the speed of an electromagnetic wave?

youre right, all EM waves travel at the speed of light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

This is all great, absolutely perfect even, fast, cheap and readily available, so i hate to be the one to pop the "baloon"
    Looking at how succesfull the goverment has been so far does anyone think that they will alow something this perfect to compete against Eircom and the rest, because i really do not see anything that could possibly compete with this at a low price and speedy deployment. Only other option is VDSL, and i really dont see that happening anytime this century!!
    Any way, would be jumping for joy when this finally hit Ireland in 10 or 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

This could be a nice bit of leverage for Dermot Ahern to hold over Eircom i.e. stop pissing about and provide a proper rollout of DSL or the ballon goes up. Remember that having sold Eircom off the governments interest in keeping Eircom in clover has been somewhat reduced.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I e-mailed both skylinc and the ESB last thursday to try and find out what kind of money it would cost to set something like this up .I figured if i had the numbers it would save the government a year trying to find out themselfs.Then i was going to send said info to Bertie :D.Havent had a reply yet from either :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Stonemason
    I e-mailed both skylinc and the ESB last thursday

Why the ESB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Why the ESB?

The balloons need to connect to a network?.I figure that why connect to Eircoms copper network with all its restrictions.The fiber can take as much as the balloon system can chuck at it and as the the radio/balloon system get more refined and faster ESB,s fiber should be able to handle it.Hopefully ESB,s fiber network will link directly the one of the main pipes coming in and out of Ireland this would save on any bottlenecks.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just found an article in Technology Ireland July/August - 2002
    ie. one year ago - The difference is the baloon is not tethered.

Page 7 shows a picture of a Blimp and some details

at altitude of 21Km a platform could cover 19,000 Km2
    - do the maths - radius of 77Km on the ground
    - ie. max LOS distance is 80Km - WiFi is good for 8km so would have to be a licensed frequency only..

Good News - the sun always shines at 21,000m also no rain and very little wind so you could use a solar panels and stay up for a decade...

It said a system should go into operation in Brazil this year (2002)

Advertisement