Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoundBlaster Choices.

• 26-05-2003 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hey Folks.

I need to get me a new Sound card and I have narrowed it down to
    1. Creative Soundblaster Extigy
    2. Creative Soundblas. Audigy 2 Platinum Ex PCI

I was thinking of the External as I plug my computer into my Sony surround sound amp. But i've noticed this god awfull buzz/hum off the speakers, I presume due to interference from the pc as the sound card is internal?

Just wondering, if anyone had any input on the two?

The internal one seems to be higher spec? also an extra €60 or so.

Cheers
    Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭dosfromclare

Just finished similar comparison and ordered the platinum ex from Komplett last Friday. It should be delivered today. It certainly is the better spec and I figured long term might be worth the extra money. Hope to get it installed and running mid week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by shurl
    Hey Folks.

I need to get me a new Sound card and I have narrowed it down to
    1. Creative Soundblaster Extigy
    2. Creative Soundblas. Audigy 2 Platinum Ex PCI

Bear in mind one is a (comparitively) low end Laptop addon and the other is marketed as a high end Audio solution.

They kinda are quite different. Only the Audigy2 can playback and record 24/96 audio as well. The Extigy is a bit of a CPU hog for games use (expected really as its USB).

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

:) Just thinking the exact same thing about 10 mins ago!!

Maybe as the Audigy 2 EX has an external box I should be able to get rid of the buzz.

Either that or get some DI boxes? Anyone know if they would work?

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

But i've noticed this god awfull buzz/hum off the speakers, I presume due to interference from the pc as the sound card is internal?

There's very little background noise off the first internal audigy (i assume that holds for the audigy2, don't have one), i reckon the noise you're hearing is more to do with a fault in your existing soundcard/system than just the fact that it's internal.

Does your sony amp have an spdif input?, you can connect that way with your new internal audigy, should help reduce noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Have a Soundblaster Audigy PLatinum with an internal outboard.

Never had any problems with it. Sound qualitys fairly nice. Still waiting to get me 5.1 surround system(come on summer job).Still get a nice bit of wattage outta an altec lansing speker set & subwoofer.

Tis a nice card anyway. Was fecking expensive when i got it though

• Advertisement

Korg,
    Yeah I reckon its interference from the PC.
    I've tried two different sound cards and both get the same hum.

The sony amp does have a SPDIF allright.
    Using it with my Pioneer DVD player.

Hmmm, anyone know if a normal phono-phono will do the SPDIF connection? because my SPDIF cable for the DVD is too short and was BLOODY expensive, shudder to think what a long one will cost.

I have heard the hum is caused be a Ground Loop somewhere,
    The fix for which does not seem nice.

Cheers

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Hmmm, anyone know if a normal phono-phono will do the SPDIF connection
    Aye, i'm using a normal phono/phono cable i gunged up with a soldering iorn & it's fine. Audiophiles may have a small fit if they read that & start taking about jitter etc, however i reckon the difference in quality is far less than advertised, certainly less than my ears can make out.
    I have heard the hum is caused be a Ground Loop somewhere
    Yeah that sucks, do you have much other stuff plugged into your pc, or stereo?, i was getting a hum from the pc until i plugged out the NTL cable from the video, now i only connect the cable if i really have to. Try plugging stuff out one by one, try using different wall sockets, try different rooms, maybe you'll stumble across what's causing the hum. Or before all that power up the pc all on it's own & see if you get the hum from headphones plugged into the soundcard.

Korg,
    Yeah I went and unplugged everything out except the PC.
    Actually come to thing of it the NTL was still plugged into the VCR, forgot about that.

Where the pc is at the moment is in the newest part of the house. with seperate fuseboard etc.
    The wiring in the rest of the house is nasty.

Think I'll give the SPDIF a try later.

Cheers

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Korg,
    Yeah I reckon its interference from the PC.
    I've tried two different sound cards and both get the same hum.
    The fact that you've tried two soundcards and still get the hum gives me the impression that it's not interference from the PC but a faulty connection somewhere.
    It could be anything from a faulty lead to a bad plug/socket connection to bad soldering in the speakers. These things are only discover through trial and error.
    Try swapping the cables around and unplugging them, pressing them in different directions while plugged into the socket, bending the wire, or moving the speakers away from other electronic equipment like your monitor or stereo.
    Another thing, is the hum independent of volume? ie. it doesn't get louder or quieter as you adjust.
    That's just a few ideas, but I'd investigate that ground loop problem a bit more aswell.

Hopefully that was helpful.

Raz
    (BTW your window mod is driving me nuts, damn you now I have got to do that mod) :)

Yeah I've tried diff cables normal bogstandard ones and full shielded gold plated jobs.
    Hum gets louder as volume goes up, problem is its fairly noticable at listening levels.

Speakers are fine (Sony DAV705 5.1 speaker set plugged into a Sony STRDE845)

I've just been thinking, if I touch the plug off the case it goes nuts.
    So the plate on the sound card is screwed into the case, the sockets on the sound card are touching the plate. I might try and sheild the sockets on the plate.

Cheers

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Raz
    (BTW your window mod is driving me nuts, damn you now I have got to do that mod) :)
    I'm glad I can inspire in such a way :p

Yeah I've tried diff cables normal bogstandard ones and full shielded gold plated jobs.
    Hum gets louder as volume goes up, problem is its fairly noticable at listening levels.
    From this I reckon that it's not likely to be an external source of noise. I'm basing this on the fact that I had an infra red port interfering with my headphone jack and the volume didn't affect it.

So the plate on the sound card is screwed into the case, the sockets on the sound card are touching the plate.
    That sounds like a very plausible source of the problem. A bit of insulating tape or some shielding stripped from another wire. But it seems you're already thinking along those lines :)

If that turns out not to be the problem then have a look at the solder connections of the socket to the card. They should be bright and shiny like a mirror. That's the sign of a good solder connection. If the solder is misty or pitted then this could be the possible source of the problem.
    Generally a misty or pitted connection doesn't cause a problem but it can mean that some dust or something got into the connection. Just a thought.

Advertisement