Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice please!!!

• 26-05-2003 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My digibox has developed a fualt.
    I own it, as the contract has ended, but i am still on a monthly subscription with Sky.

I called a number they provided and i have been quoted €108 for repair, and possible €250 if the digibox needs replacing.

Now I think a new installation in Currys is just €15 at the moment.

Can I just order anew install with a new digibox, and save myself a fe wbob, or do I have any other options, like getting a different reciever box, that will use my skytv card?

Thanks

X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few people have indicated success in the past by ordering a new installation with "A" appended on to the number of a house.

eg
    "32A Windsor Gardens"
    (home of a well-known bear from Peru who wanted to get Sky)

Repair cost seems a little steep tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Very similar to a mobile phone contract! If you phone breaks/disappears it almost makes more sense to go out and sign up for a new contract. This is always the problem with subsidised equipment ... the cost of replacement or repair far exceeds the purchase of a brand new unit.

There must be a market for second hand boxes or is that a no-no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm afraid sky insists on only one free box per household so unless you move house theres little you can do. What make is the digibox?, if its pace or panasomic Armstrongs can repair it. No. in the phone book.

Tony

Originally posted by Xterminator
    Hi,

My digibox has developed a fualt.
    I own it, as the contract has ended, but i am still on a monthly subscription with Sky.

I called a number they provided and i have been quoted €108 for repair, and possible €250 if the digibox needs replacing.

Now I think a new installation in Currys is just €15 at the moment.

Can I just order anew install with a new digibox, and save myself a fe wbob, or do I have any other options, like getting a different reciever box, that will use my skytv card?

Thanks

X

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My in-laws digibox packed in a few weeks ago. They were quoted a similar price as you for repair/replacement.
    Instead they cancelled the sub, went into some shop in Limerick and got one of those offers for the 15 quid installation. They just subscribed under the wifes name instead this time and got everything set up again no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

My brother did the same thing just put it in his girlfriends name and now 2 dishes stand side by side on his house

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could also give your address in Irish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Have you tried to tell Sky you are cancelling because kit is up the creek.There is a strong possibility that they will give you a free repair to keep the business.AFAIK There is a set fee for a repair ie your 108 would repair the LNB and or box and realign your dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Chris1

Hi, My brother had a problem with his box a few months back,it was over the 12 months, he rang sky and told them he wanted to cancle his sub and when asked why he told them he had a problem with the box and was'nt in a position to pay to have it repaired,The woman passed him onto some else who arranged to have an installer call to his house, he was given a new box F.O.C. Try it you've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Thks for the advice.

i actually wrent ahead with the reapir for 108, and it has worked .. but I'm not very confidant about how long for.

I'll try the cancelling the subscription lark with ~Sky customer services, if anything further happens.

X

Advertisement